•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

For astronomy Canon 15x50/18x50 or Nikon 14x40?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 August 2004 - 02:03 AM

For astronomy but also land observations, which of these binoculars more are indicated?
They say to me, that the 18x50 it is not indicated for land observations, the stabilization is not good, with a flying image.
Thanks.

#2 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 August 2004 - 08:21 AM

I tried all three of them -- they are all nice -- and purchased the Canon 15x50 IS. I suggest that you take a look at this thread for a fuller discussion.

Cheers,

Dave

#3 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 August 2004 - 12:29 PM

I have read your review on this binoculars, but I ask to you, the Canon 18x50 is indicated for land observations?
The image is firm or is perceived a continuous refresh of this?
Between the two, which you has seemed to have one correction of the better color?
Last question, the Nikon stabilizes better of the Canon?

#4 Joe Ogiba

Joe Ogiba

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 August 2004 - 02:45 PM

I have a Unimount Light Deluxe bino mount and 14 pairs from 6x25 to 25x100 so I purchased the new Canon 12x36 IS II since it's about the same size and weight as the 10x30 model and it's fantastic. I don't think you would be able to hold the 15x50's very long since they are not lightweight.

Joe

#5 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 August 2004 - 09:13 AM

I have read your review on this binoculars, but I ask to you, the Canon 18x50 is indicated for land observations?
The image is firm or is perceived a continuous refresh of this?
Between the two, which you has seemed to have one correction of the better color?
Last question, the Nikon stabilizes better of the Canon?

The 15x50 and 18x50 are physically the same size and weight, and the Image Stabilizer works equally excellent on both (I tested both while watching airplanes at far distances - the shop was about 10 miles from the airport :)). The color and overall optics quality seemed equally excellent for me, too. The 18 just brought the image a little closer. And the difference in magnification, when compared back to back, didn't seem that significant, to justify $200 more price. The 15s are already so impressive that to me, the 18s are just gilding the lily.

I think these are great for "land observations" as well nighttime and mobile use. Now that I own IS, it's hard to go back to using my old binocs. I don't think they are too large or heavy to hold for long periods, I've been doing it without a tripod, but I know some people think they are too big for comfort.

So I think the 15 and the 18 are both fantastic -- I just think the 15 meets all my needs and is a better value. Just be sure to "try before you buy", so you'll educate yourself and enjoy whatever you choose.

Cheers,

Dave

#6 AJTony

AJTony

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 07 August 2004 - 10:44 AM

I have used and enjoyed the Canon 15 X 50s for over two years and I have never felt that they were too heavy for extended viewing. However, I find that the most comfortable way to use binos for astronomy is while sitting in a camp chair with a foot rest. The foot rest causes the chair to be designed in a tilted back configuration, making it perfect for bino viewing. I found a Totes brand at a local store for about $30 and it included a nice carrying bag. I know that there are many similar chairs on the Net.

AJ

Attached Thumbnails

• 165455-Bino Chair.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics