•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

3" f/10 Edmund Newt.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
25 replies to this topic

#1 ngc2289

ngc2289

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 25 May 2007 - 11:03 PM

When I was 9 years old(1962) out of the blue my Dad bought me a Edmund 3" f/10 Newt.. This telescope and mount cost my Dad $29.95 plus shipping. This was my very first scope and got me going in Astronomy. Well today on E-bay several sets of these optics were put up for auction. The optics are brand new from Edmund Optics. I just could not resist!!! The mirror and secondary had a "Buy It Now" price of $9.95 plus $4.00 shipping. Of course this is only the optics set and I will have to make the rest of the scope but that shouldn't be to hard. The optics set consists of a 3" f/10 spherical mirror and a square 1/2" X 3/4" secondary which is exactly what my orignal scope had! Of course I am going to use 1 1/4" eyepieces instead of the orignal .965 eyepiece size. I don't know why but I have not been this excited about a telescope project in 20 years. This will be my classic scope! :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump:

#2 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 25 May 2007 - 11:25 PM

Cool. I suspect it will be a good mirror.

Now, not to throw water on the fire, but I think its time for another Humorous History of Edmund anecdote. Years ago (decades ago, actually), Edmund got a huge shipment of 3" f10 mirrors in from Japan. Dad remembers one of the opticians sitting at a table, testing the mirrors. Next to him was a series of 55 gallon drums. Half the mirrors wound up 'in the can' they were so bad.

Keith

#3 ngc2289

ngc2289

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 25 May 2007 - 11:34 PM

Well at least they were throwing the bad ones out instead of selling them! But really that was a big waste! They should have figured out some way of converting them to ashtrays! :lol: :)

#4 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

Posted 26 May 2007 - 12:46 AM

Mike....Got my 3" f/10 in 1959 and it cost $29.95. It has an aliminized prism for a secondary. I just recently bought an optics set also because my primary was chipped by one of the retaining nuts. I was surprized by the flat mirror that was supplied...I haggis near threw it away with the packaging not noticing it taped to the cardboard. My scope also will get a major facelift. ;) ;) ;) Mike

#5 chrysalis

chrysalis

Hubble

Posted 26 May 2007 - 04:51 AM

Mike,

That was also my first real scope, a $29.95 Christmas present in 1965 when I was 11. Many great adventures! I remember M42 looking like a glowing peanut in that amazing 1/2" Ramsden EP.

#6 Wilsonman

Wilsonman

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 26 May 2007 - 10:31 AM

My second scope was the $29.95 wonder from the early 60's. These were pretty good little scopes. I had a lot of fun 'customizing' this unit for a number of years. I put a Unitron finder on it, changed the focuser, got better ep's, and modified the mount. The mirror was excellent at F/10 and delivered clearer images than most of the cheap refractors of the time. I probably had more fun with this scope than any other I've owned. It's too bad the original Edmund folks aren't around these days.

#7 Larry Geary

Larry Geary

Vanguard

Posted 26 May 2007 - 12:19 PM

I had one of these, too. Technically it was my brother's but he gave it to me when he got himself an 8" Cave. All that is left today is the 3" f/10 mirror in its cell, waiting to be reborn.

#8 ngc2289

ngc2289

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 31 May 2007 - 05:37 PM

Well the optics set showed up today. As soon as I opened the package I could see a possible problem! The mirror was wrapped in paper towel. I was hoping the seller had placed unscented Kleenx over the face of the mirror before wrapping with the paper towel. No such luck! So during the shipping process the paper towel removed some of the coating and abraided the surface under the coating! So I am thinking this person is not a amateur astronomer and knows nothing about shipping optics! I have e-mailed the seller with the problem and am waiting for their reply. I doubt I will want to ship back the mirror since the shipping cost will be about what I paid for the mirror. I am waiting to see what the seller has to say before I leave any feed back on E-Bay. :( :undecided: :ohgeeze:

#9 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 31 May 2007 - 05:56 PM

Hmmm. Not good. I'm surprised it scratched so easily. It probably isn't overcoated.

I doubt this is the first mirror the person has shipped. He's probably got hundreds laying around. Its probably too inexpensive for customers to ship back, so he plays dumb, everyone gets positive ratings and he keeps selling mirrors. I expect your email will say something like "You are the first person who has ever had this problem before."

Keith

#10 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

Posted 31 May 2007 - 07:25 PM

Mike...What a bummer! :( :( My mirror was also wrapped in a paper towel. But mine is in pristine condition. I think Bill Vorce operates the Surplus Shed also if I'm not mistaken. Like Keith says you'd think the overcoat would protect it. I'm betting you'll get a replacement if he's a reputable businessman. They deal with too many dollars on a referral basis to screw someone out of a $10 item!! :smirk: :smirk: Mike

#11 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 31 May 2007 - 07:58 PM

Oh, if this is Surplus Shed, you shouldn't have a problem. Good luck.

Keith

#12 ngc2289

ngc2289

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 31 May 2007 - 09:20 PM

You were right! He told me not to have a nervous break down over a 3" mirror and then said he would send a replacement. So if the second mirror comes thru OK I am very satisfied. :) :jump:

#13 ngc2289

ngc2289

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 31 May 2007 - 10:19 PM

Well I just found out that most of the mirrors have surface imperfections! This information comes from William himself! What I do not like is the fact that this was not mentioned at all in the auction description! It should be stated that the coatings are damaged! This is not a good thing! :ohmy: :ohgeeze: :mad:

#14 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 31 May 2007 - 11:24 PM

Very true. It should say that. Hopefully (fingers crossed) he'll personally hand pick a good one.

Keith

#15 ngc2289

ngc2289

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 31 May 2007 - 11:31 PM

I was just on Edmund Optics web site. The cost for a new 1/8 wave, pyrex, 3" f/10 spherical mirror is $209 plus shipping! YIKES!!!!! :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :bigshock: :bigshock: :bigshock: :bigshock: :bigshock: :bigshock: :bigshock:

#16 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 31 May 2007 - 11:39 PM

Yup. Waaaaaaay to expensive. Even their 1/4 wave stuff isn't cheap. I dunno how they do it.

Keith

#17 ngc2289

ngc2289

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 01 June 2007 - 08:37 AM

Here is a picture of the mirror I was sent. It is kind of hard to see the defects but they are there!

Attached Thumbnails

• 1637471-IMAG0018.jpg

#18 sarastro

sarastro

Viking 1

Posted 01 June 2007 - 11:38 AM

These ebay mirrors are from Telescope Warehouse not Surplus Shed.
I also purchased one. It came sandwiched between cardboard without even the benefit of a paper towel. Mine also appears to have some minor coating damage, however I was intending to strip the coating anyway and use it in a solar newtonian. This guy has been in business for years and should know better.

#19 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

Posted 01 June 2007 - 03:38 PM

Roger....Telescope Warehouse and the Surplus Shed are both operated by Bill Vorce. Surplus Shed was started first. Bill told me so in an E-mail that the Telescope Warehouse was a business move providing another aspect to his operations. Mike

#20 Wilsonman

Wilsonman

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 01 June 2007 - 04:42 PM

I was just on Edmund Optics web site. The cost for a new 1/8 wave, pyrex, 3" f/10 spherical mirror is $209 plus shipping! YIKES!!!!! :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :bigshock: :bigshock: :bigshock: :bigshock: :bigshock: :bigshock: :bigshock:

Wow, that's ridiculously expensive for a 3", even by today's standards. This Edmund may have the Edmund name, but they're not the folks who originated the enterprise. Edmund Sci of Barrington, NJ was a customer-friendly outfit which who provided great stuff to money challenged youngsters such as I was back in the 60's. Fondly remembered....sigh.

#21 twhite

twhite

Vanguard

Posted 01 June 2007 - 04:50 PM

Mikey,

I don't think so... Surplus Shed is out of Pennsylvania. Bill Vorce/Telescope Warehouse recently relocated from Lost Wages down on the other size of the NV/AZ border (don't remember where exactly...

#22 ngc2289

ngc2289

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 01 June 2007 - 04:56 PM

Edmund and A. Jaegers were my two favorite catalogs! Bought eyepieces, mirrors, and one mount from each. :)

#23 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

Posted 01 June 2007 - 05:18 PM

Founder Norm Edmund's son Robert Edmund is currently the 59 year old CEO of Edmund Optics and Anchor Optics divisions. He probably had all the other original crewman walk the plank when "they" sold off Edmund Scientific! :grin: :grin: :grin:Mike

#24 Wilsonman

Wilsonman

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 01 June 2007 - 08:33 PM

Edmund and A. Jaegers were my two favorite catalogs! Bought eyepieces, mirrors, and one mount from each. :)

A. Jaegers, of Lynbrook, NY was also very good to deal with. I bought more from Edmund, but Jaegers had some excellent items as well and I remember their service was also efficient and responsive. :grin:

#25 chrysalis

chrysalis

Hubble

Posted 03 June 2007 - 05:28 AM

Wow, that's ridiculously expensive for a 3", even by today's standards. This Edmund may have the Edmund name, but they're not the folks who originated the enterprise. Edmund Sci of Barrington, NJ was a customer-friendly outfit which who provided great stuff to money challenged youngsters such as I was back in the 60's. Fondly remembered....sigh.

Sigh #2 - I remember talking my father into helping me make my pilgrimage to Barrington when I was in my early teens...just like visiting a shrine! I remember I bought 2 - 3" mirror blanks from which I ground a 3" uncoated solar mirror. Total cost was a little over $2.00!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics