•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Vixen 114 mm Newton on Polaris (?) mount

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 Roel

Roel

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 May 2007 - 02:38 PM

I've recently phuchased this old Vixen Newton. Not a very exciting telescope, but the condition was excellent (near mint!) and I believe it's from the early eighty's.

However I dont know if the mount is a Polaris or a New Polaris. I've seen mounts wich have the part just above the tripod stading in an angle of 40 degrees and also mount with no angle. (Hope you'll understand what I mean)

Also I would like to know the age of this scope...

Attached Thumbnails

• 1626983-Vixenwhole.jpg

#2 Roel

Roel

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 May 2007 - 02:47 PM

Here is the metal plate with serial number (?) and a close-up of the mount.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1626998-Vixentag.jpg

#3 Roel

Roel

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 May 2007 - 02:49 PM

Hmmm, only one pic possible per post apparently...

Attached Thumbnails

• 1627000-Vixenmount.jpg

#4 Bonco

Bonco

Skylab

Posted 26 May 2007 - 02:56 PM

Yes that appears to me to be the original Polaris mount that was followed by the Super Polaris mount. Very nice combo you have there.
Bonco

#5 Jae

Jae

Apollo

Posted 26 May 2007 - 02:57 PM

I've never seen one with an angle, otherwise seems to be a polaris.
Jae

#6 Roel

Roel

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 May 2007 - 03:22 PM

Thanks! For it's size it's a very solid mount. About the same size as a Synta EQ-3, but almost as solid as a EQ-5 or a TAL-1. More than enough for the scope!

Another surprise is that this mount can also be used as an AZ mount! Love that!

Attached Thumbnails

• 1627062-Polarisazimuthaal2.jpg

#7 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors

Posted 26 May 2007 - 03:37 PM

Yup, that is a Polaris, predecessor to the Super Polaris, and later the Great Polaris.

A classic, robust, smooth mount. :)

Regards and clear skies,

MikeG

#8 twhite

twhite

Vanguard

Posted 26 May 2007 - 04:01 PM

Looks like you've got yourself a nice setup there.

Early 80's, BTW, to answer your 'how old is it' question. I had one of the 80/900 refractors from that vintage and it was a very nice instrument, which I sold to a friend last year and she enjoys thoroughly.

I've actually got a Vixen scope older than that -- one of the VERY early 80mm Fluorite scopes (the one with the funky 70's capital script FLUORITE on the dew shield). It's a great little scope, as many from that era are. I need to get it refinished, but before I do I want to see if I can get the FLUORITE decal reproduced (the only marking on the entire scope except for the little Cirle-V on the focuser pinion housing cover). I have a friend locally who is also into high-power rocketry who has an Alps printer and makes custom decals with it (or clones classic ones for classic rocket clones). I need to see if I can get this thing to scan halfway decently, then clean it up in Photoshop and take it over to him. If we can get a good copy of it, then this tube is going to the powder coater for a fresh coat of white color. :) I've never personally seen an older Vixen scope than this -- and it's different in most every way from the later 80FLs (different focuser, different colors on the focuser body, cell, and rings -- a very dark green -- different cell, different method of attaching the focuser...). I'd really like to know exactly how old it is, but I don't think I'll ever be able to find out. It's definitely pre-Celestron or right at the time when they started to OEM to Celestron...

T

#9 Jae

Jae

Apollo

Posted 26 May 2007 - 06:40 PM

Tony,

Love that passion of yours for perfection !! Must be the common thread among some of us classic lovers....
J

#10 mnpd

mnpd

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 27 May 2007 - 03:02 AM

The thing looks like you just took it out of the box! My stuff looks worse than that after the first 30 days of use!

#11 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 27 May 2007 - 08:44 AM

Hi:

Lovely scope in near perfect condition. Love the Polaris mount. I wonder is this is essentially the same scope as the Celestron C4.5 which was also mounted on the Polaris mount?? I am quite sure Vixen manufactured the C4.5. I have been lusting after a C4.5 for a while now.

You have a beauty there.

jon

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics