•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

My experience with Brunton

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 John Jarosz

John Jarosz

Astro Gearhead

• topic starter

Posted 07 August 2004 - 07:52 PM

I just thought I'd share this experience, as it is no longer typical of my experiences with equipment vendors.

I have a Brunton 7x42 Eterna bino, probably about 10-12 years old. I originally bought it for terrestial use and because of their long eye relief. Recently I've tried using it on the sky, and I felt something was wrong, as I couldn't get good sharp images (everything looked double). Researching things, I tried getting local service for collimation. Some no interest, one guy said six weeks.
I had been planning a vacation in Wyoming for some time and it dawned on me that Brunton was located right along my trip path. I contacted them by email about service and they said sure, they could do it while I waited. So I dropped it off in Riverton on a Wednesday afternoon. Rather than wait, I picked it up the following AM. Perfectly collimated, new lens and eyepiece caps, and new eyepiece rubber cups - all for free. I feel that's great customer service - on an older piece of their equipment.
They also had a sign on the street advertising a "Brunton Garage Sale" for Saturday (today). I would have loved to been there for that.
So kudos to Brunton, they're right up there with Gibson guitars.

John :applause:

#2 777Guy

777Guy

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 10 August 2004 - 12:30 PM

John,
Thanks for sharing that. I have looked through a few Bruntons and was very impressed with their performance. I would like to have a pair for nature viewing but the price is a little steep. Your experience demonstrates excellent customer service and makes them more attractive now, I guess it is true that you get what you pay for! Bythe way, have you had a chance to see how they perform at night since the re-collimation?
Cheers,

#3 John Jarosz

John Jarosz

Astro Gearhead

• topic starter

Posted 10 August 2004 - 12:50 PM

Needless to say I am not a binocular expert. But to my eyes, the collimation after Brunton adjusted it is as good as I can imagine it could be. Stars are pinpoints. No double image at all.

A sidelight: When I took them in I asked for the lady I had been emailing as my contact. A nice lady that could be someone's grandmother comes out and introduces herself. She takes my binoculars, looks thru them at the building across the street for two seconds, and says: "oh yeah, they're out of collimation". Experts come in different shapes, sizes and ages I guess.

John :grin:

#4 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 10 August 2004 - 03:47 PM

I've just spent a whole hour catching up with ALL the posts I missed to this bino forum during a 5 night break.

This is the LAST ( latest ) one I read.

It is also the most uplifting.

Very nice to read about this.

Regards , Kenny.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics