•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What's the tube OD of the Sears 60mm F/11?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 30 May 2007 - 08:02 PM

I'm trying to find a set of tube rings that will fit the Sears 60mm f/11 OTA I have coming. A small set of Orion-style rings would be great, but Orion's smallest rings have a 76mm ID.

I'd prefer not to use a lot of shimming or building up to make the tube fit. Does anyone know where I can get a set of rings to mount this tube to a old-style (no dovetail) EQ head?

Thanks and clear skies,

MikeG

#2 twhite

twhite

Vanguard

Posted 30 May 2007 - 09:06 PM

Mike,

If that OTA diameter is the same as some of the other 60mm scopes I have, what I ended up having to use was a clamshell ring from a NexStar 60 (an option which sucks, IMO, but it was all I could find at the time).

I've also used some of my Losmandy three-point rings on a DMM or other attachment method.

SoCal Astro Accessories claims that he will 'produce ring sets of any size for your OTA. All we need is the tube O.D.'. Hopwever, his normally-stocked 80mm rings are a whopping $159! They are excellent quality, machined (not cast). One of my fellow club members has some for his TOA in his imaging setup. If you have several OTAs of that size you want to use on another mount, that MIGHT be the way you want to go, except the expense might scare you off... :( This is the option I'd probably choose for myself.

There's always Ken's Rings, but I really don't like his quality...

Other than that? A quick Google tells me that no one stocks anything smaller than 76mm, apparently...

#3 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 30 May 2007 - 09:12 PM

I'll likely end up using a 60mm clamshell, they are relatively common and someone probably has one laying around unused. But, I would prefer rings, since then there is no issue about the mounting holes lining up when the mount head arrives. I guess the smart thing to do is wait until the mount arrives and then procure the proper clamshell for it.

I don't want to spend the money to get a custom set of rings made, since I have a high turnover rate with scopes. Something I plan to keep for 10 years might end up sold next week, so who knows? :silly:

Regards and clear skies,

MikeG

#4 twhite

twhite

Vanguard

Posted 30 May 2007 - 09:26 PM

Well... *most* of those 60mm scopes from that era use the same tube OD. For example, I have a set of Parallax rings that I use with my 76.2mm Tascos, my 80mm Tasco, my 3" Edmund, my 80mm Vixen... 114mm rings for my 4" Unitron, 94mm Brandon, etc. Only the 60mm Unitron has a different (larger) tube size. Might be worth the investment... or it might not.

As a suggestion: Why don't we put together a reference of tube diameters for all these different 60mm tubes and see whether or not there is a common tube size? Or two common tube sizes? That way if we turn some of these 60mm scopes over from time to time we will know whether or not a set of rings we buy or have made or whatever will work with another scope... seems reasonable to me.

T

#5 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 30 May 2007 - 09:31 PM

That's a good idea Tony. I have three 60mm scopes on the way. Only one is truly "classic" and the others are later models. The Sears F/11 I mentioned, a Simmons f/11 and a Meade f/11 - the last two made in Taiwan. I'll measure all three when they arrive. Now that I think about it, these 60mm scopes are so common, that it might pay dividends to bite the bullet and have a set of rings made somewhere. Then I could mount these little scopes on my Vixen SP (or the little EQ-1) without much hassle.

I could possibly modify a set of guidescope rings. How common are 60mm guidescope rings? Are the only "vintage" ones the Unitrons which are pricey?

Regards,

MikeG

#6 twhite

twhite

Vanguard

Posted 30 May 2007 - 09:43 PM

Guidescope rings aren't a bad idea, I guess -- though the only set I have are Cave guidescope rings and I'm not going to be modifying them anytime soon. Unitrons are larger anyway and would have to be built up with felt or something...

I'll start measuring tubes later and we'll see what we come up with. :D

#7 twhite

twhite

Vanguard

Posted 30 May 2007 - 10:42 PM

Mike,

Here are my contributions (for now):

Unitron 114 60/900: 2.67. I assume all Unitron 60mms are the same.

Swift 60 f/11 blue tube -- made by Towa, originally on an yoke mount but I removed it years ago and put it on a real alz-az mount for my daughter to use. It's actually a very nice scope optically. 2.5"

Tasco 7TE 60/910 - also 2.5"
Tasco 7TE-5 60/1000 - also 2.5"
Tasco 10TE/15TE 76.2/1200 - 3.0"
Tasco 10K 80/1200 -- this will be the same as the Towa 339 and the 80/1200 that Clint just bought -- 3.25"

So, this came as a surprise to me -- I thought the 3.0" rings fit the 10K. I've only had it set up once, but I guess I set it up on its own GEM. It has lived in its box most of the time since I acquired it. I've only found one other Tasco 10K owner -- he's in Europe -- and he raved about his scope. Mine performs quite well, too.

Guess I need to use some of these more often...

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics