•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Improper use of the word "rare", 15 yard penalty!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 03 June 2007 - 09:18 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/...em=270126699609

This item is *not* rare. A search of completed eBay listings with the words "tasco binocular camera" yields 5 other units sold since May. I have seen at least 15-20 of these units in the last 6 months of watching auctions. A completed listings search would turn up much more, but the completed search only looks at the title, not the description.

Prices for this unit range from $19.99 to about $50.00

This is further proof that it pays to research your item before listing it for sale.

Regards and clear skies,

MikeG

#2 microbes

microbes

Apollo

Posted 03 June 2007 - 10:28 AM

Back when I collected coins "Rare" was only properly used for a coin that had less 76 pieces in exsistance (there is a semi-offical scale for rarity of coins, R-1, R-2... up to R-8). If there are more than 75 total examples in exsistance worldwide they are considered "Scarce" at best, but NOT "RARE".

I would think the same scale could be applied to any collectable:

R-1 Common
R-2 Not So Common
R-3 Scarce
R-4 Very Scarce (population est. at 76-200)
R-5 Rare (31-75)
R-6 Very Rare (13-30)
R-7 Extremely rare (4-12)
R-8 Unique or Nearly So (1, 2 or 3)

If a piece is R-8 you may have only one or 2 chances in your lifetime to buy it, but an R-4 piece (legitamatly "rare") will most likely be for sale (somewhere, and with a hefty price tag) several times a year. (think about it, if the average collector keeps something like this 20 years, on average 3 or 4 of them will come to market every year)

#3 Mike Rapchak

Mike Rapchak

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 03 June 2007 - 08:32 PM

But he says "rear", not "rare". Must be a difference. :roflmao:

Mike Rapchak Jr.

#4 Littlegreenman

Littlegreenman

Aurora

Posted 04 June 2007 - 10:26 PM

Is the word "odd" proper? "As in I'd like my steak medium-odd." :roflmao:

I collected coins when I was a boy, but never on that technical level. Interesting how precise a field can get on terms.

Littlegreenman

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics