•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jason Model 313 60mm Refractors-any owners?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 BarabinoSr

BarabinoSr

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 03 June 2007 - 10:35 AM

Hi ALL! I recently obtained a Jason Model 313 60mm Discoverer Circle T Refractor circa 1967 complete with all accessories.This is an interesting scope that has a 910mm fl objective, fine equatorial mount.Anyone have one of these? I will submit an observing report using this scope soon. Gary Barabino Sr

#2 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 03 June 2007 - 10:51 AM

Looking forward to the report. I believe you'll find a typically decent scope from this era. You might have some issues with mount vibration, tho. Check the correction of the lens. Alot of these 2.4" (regardless of brand) have a slight undercorrection, at least in my examples, but this will probably prove to be a minor issue. What did it run you (if I may ask)? The value of these scopes when you compare price to performance is excellent.

Keith

#3 BarabinoSr

BarabinoSr

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 03 June 2007 - 11:09 AM

Hi There!It cost $46.00.(including shipping).The gentleman from whom I bought it stated that he did'nt know much about telescopes.When I recieved it the scope had some minor damage-one of the focusing knobs was broken in half,and it had dust and mildew on the tube and equatorial mount.I have however cleaned it up and cleaned and regreased the mount.BTW when I conduct my observing session,I will be using 1.25" eyepieces and the same hybrid star diagonal that was used on the Tasco.Presently I have only one knob for focusing just until I can find a MATCHING pinion shaft to replace the present.But for a scope from the late 1960's it doesnt look bad!Clear Skies to All!Gary Barabino Sr

#4 clintwhitman

clintwhitman

Caveman

Posted 03 June 2007 - 01:01 PM

I just got a mint one fron E-bay 313 jason same era Actualy better color than any of the tascos 60s I have. It has a Kinda cheesey mount and it had a brand new unused shelf light $24 plus $20 shipping !!

#5 bcuddihee

bcuddihee

Vanguard

Posted 03 June 2007 - 02:01 PM

I have a Jason 631 700x60mm and it really is a surprising scope. Very manageable levels of CA, and it star tests well. A 910 fl should be even better all things being equal.
Enjoy!
Brendan :ubetcha: :ubetcha: :ubetcha:

#6 dawsonian2000

dawsonian2000

Surveyor 1

Posted 03 June 2007 - 07:18 PM

As Gary already knows, I also purchased one of these fine little refractor on eBay of recent. During first light, I trained the 60mm f/15 refractor at Jupiter using a .965" to 1.250" hybrid diagonal in order to use my collection of higher quality eyepieces and was pleasantly surprised. Using a 9mm Meade standard quality orthoscopic ocular, I was able to see detail within the Jovian belts, as far as seeing glimpses of the festoons. Chromatic aberration was held to an extreme minimum with this little "Circle T" objective, even surpassing the images in my KonusMotor 90mm in sharpness and detail. There was very little to no false color as well.

As for my KonusMotor's 90mm objective, I will be replacing the objective with a new "Vixen Spec" achromat. Konus evidently uses substandard poorly corrected objectives.

After further testing of the 313, I noted that I could also see differences in brightness of the Jovian Moons as well as their disks. Quite surprising indeed considering the "airy disk" size capabilities of scopes of this size.

I paid a total price of $56.00 for the complete well preserved instrument, which I think was a good deal. Gary also compared views through the Jason Discoverer 313 to his Tasco 7TE-5 and was amazed how close they both came to producing simular effects with the 7TE-5 beating it slightly.

Though the Jason Discoverer 313 is a small refractor, it holds a grip on our past astronomical beginnings. Back in the early 1970's Gary and I owned Jason Constellation 280 60mm f/12 alt-azimuth refractors and relished to own one of the 313's. Now that we have both acquired one, we plan to put them to good use along with our more robust instruments.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics