•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

1980's Celestron Cometron 4.25 newt

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 ArizonaScott

ArizonaScott

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 09 August 2004 - 06:31 PM

Tomorrow I'll be giving my son this scope for his 9th birthday. I purchased the OTA from an Astromart seller for $65.00. Amazingly, it was in excellent condition. Even the mirrors are still perfect. Paint job is still almost like new, finder scope & focuser A-OK. I found a small EQ mount from another seller for $65.00. Stripped, stained, and sealed the legs to a rich oak look. Tonight I'll relube the mount, align the finder, and give it a star test just to make sure everything's up to snuff. Put a big bow on it and get ready for the big smile from the kid.
Can anyone tell me a little more about these scopes? A web search turned up zero. It looks great, and hopefully I'll get a pic with me, David, and his scope to use as my avatar. Even if they weren't the greatest scopes, I know he'll enjoy having it for his very own at star parties with Dad, and of course for backyard observing too!

#2 Mike28

Mike28

Gemini

Posted 28 August 2004 - 08:46 AM

That is a great gift to give your son for first time viewing. It is inexpensive but will be a great training scope to learn the sky and set him on his way. and its a Celstron! Of course you realize that on his 12th 'B' day he will want a 14" SCT go to scope! and TV Naglers,Radians, etc. Now is the time to start a small investment fund to pay for all of that! You let the genie out of the bottle. :lol:

#3 ArizonaScott

ArizonaScott

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 28 August 2004 - 04:51 PM

Thanks for the response Mike! On his 12th birthday I'll be happy to buy him a 14" SCT, assuming of course that he'll share it with me :lol: By that time aperture fever will have taken over for me as well and my 8" will seem tiny.

Interestingly, first light for David and his scope was rather funny. I took him outside on his birthday for a few peeks between holes in the clouds at Albireo and M13. He loved it (for about two minutes) and then the lure of his new video game called him inside. Sigh :( Plenty of clear nights for viewing at a later time, I guess! After all, he's been my observing partner at numerous star parties and even a Messier Marathon.

Eventually I'll have a picture of David and the scope as my avatar. We've got many years to nurture his interest if he decides he likes the hobby. If not, I'll be happy to use his Naglers & Radians :jump:

#4 matt

matt

Vendor (Scopemania)

Posted 29 August 2004 - 02:36 PM

Hey! You sound like my father right now!

#5 ArizonaScott

ArizonaScott

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 30 August 2004 - 09:58 AM

:lol: :waytogo: Sure Matt. I'll adopt you if it means I get to use the 16" dob :grin:

#6 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 30 August 2004 - 11:15 PM

Did a quick web search, only came up with refractors. I suppose it says "cometron" somewhere on it? or is that just what the atsromart ad said?

#7 ArizonaScott

ArizonaScott

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 31 August 2004 - 09:29 AM

Thanks for trying Sean. I've tried numerous web searches and found something similar in a 4.5" short tube. Also saw lots of Cometron refractors. But this one is a 4.25". It does say Cometron on the OTA. I gotta say the images are pretty good for a low end scope. Albireo was crisp and cleanly seperated. Lunar viewing is great. Not a bad scope for a kid or adult!

#8 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 01 September 2004 - 02:05 PM

There were definitely Cometron Reflectors. Many were Cometron Jr's.. I have had two, one, which I think we have discussed was of the Short Tube variety, a 125mm F8 scope, made in Japan, probably by Vixen, with nice mechanicals but not such great optics.

The other was a standard 4.25 or 4.5 inch Newt, long focal length F8 or F9. I never used it much but in general these scopes have pretty good optics, hard to screw up a small long focal length mirror, though it is probably spherical.

Should be fun for you son if you can get him away from the games...

jon

#9 ArizonaScott

ArizonaScott

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 01 September 2004 - 03:08 PM

If I can't drag him away from the game Jon I'll sneak the scope out and use it myself after he goes to sleep :smirk:

Off the top of my head I'd say it's an F8. Images are almost perfect. A definite keeper if only for the nostalgia and collectible value. Looks pretty darn good in his room too! Thanks for the reply.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics