•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Temptation, temptation, temptation....v2.0

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 09 August 2004 - 07:26 PM

http://www.apogeeinc.com/binos.html

Awfully appealing....somebody stop me!

#2 Rammysherriff

Rammysherriff

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 10 August 2004 - 03:28 AM

At that price it would be criminal NOT to buy them - put it this way, if that was the UK price in £ I would be outside their front door credit card in hand.

You could be dead next year, get them bought.

#3 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 10 August 2004 - 07:39 AM

Rusty,
Go ahead and get them. Then you will be able to do a side-by-side comparison with the Obies in time for Fall Skies viewing.

Nick

#4 777Guy

777Guy

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 10 August 2004 - 12:18 PM

Rusty,
They really look nice. If I hadn't bought the Miyauchi I would be seriously considering these. I don't have any experience with Apogee but folks that have them seem to be pleased. If you order them and don't like them you can always return them. Good luck!

#5 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 10 August 2004 - 09:02 PM

The problem is, I'd like 'em...I have over $100 worth of optics, and haven't been able to use any for two months.

It's a shame about GPS - if they'd only put a navigator's dome in the 777, I'd be happy to build a bino mount....you could let the FO fly while we scarfed up great views.

#6 777Guy

777Guy

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 10 August 2004 - 11:33 PM

Rusty,
I have often wondered how cool that would be to have an un-obstructed overhead view at FL430 out over the North Atlantic at night. The cockpit windshields have so many ultraviolet filters built into them that it reflects alot of the starlight coming in, so the view is dimmer than on the 747. But in the daylight you don't cook either, which is also nice. By the way, whats a couple of sheckels going to hurt for those Apogee's? You wouldn't even miss the money as you would be enjoying your new binos.
Cheers,

#7 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 11 August 2004 - 09:33 PM

I wuz thinking a nice quartz dome - something near the galley, so's we could pop in for a snack...and I'm still thinking about the Apogees, since the people to whom I sold my business keep keeping me on as a consultant and recklessly throw money at me...(I'm so easy!) :o

#8 777Guy

777Guy

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 12 August 2004 - 01:54 PM

Rusty,
I really enjoy my Miyauchis with the 45* angled eyepieces.
I was out on the deck last night with them and spent an hour just scanning the Milky Way which was directly overhead. No more strained necks or contorted body positions to view near the zenith. The big advantage IMHO for the binos is that they are so easy to set up and start viewing without regard to cooldown or advanced planning requirements, but they do have their limitations. You have a nice mix of instruments for just about any type of viewing you want to do. I also think that you might be more inclined to use the Apogee vs. the Oberwerk for casual viewing because they are more compact and have the angled eyepieces. My only reservation about the Apogee is the CA problem with non-ED glass. That is one very nice aspect of the Miyauchi I have come to appreciate is the total absense of false color flaring around bright objects in both daylight and night viewing. Even pointed at the Moon, I have detected only the tiniest hint of color along the lunar rim. But the Apogees seem well designed and built.
Sounds like a nice situation with your ex-business, take the money and run.
Cheers,

#9 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 12 August 2004 - 08:00 PM

I keep thinking about the Apogees - but my MK-66 has yet to see first light (with me), and I have binoviewers...and the Ober 22x100s - (there's a set on AM now, with a red-dot finder and dew shields, and it hasn't moved at $300 delivered; that rig would cost new over $460 with freight). If I could get somewhat more than that ($350 for mine - which is identical), I'd go for the Apogees...I have too much surplus stuff right now. :tonofbricks:

I'm with you about the CA - I'd like to look through a set first, but that's unlikely. :bawling:

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics