•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade Model 2045

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 mnpd

mnpd

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 June 2007 - 02:47 AM

I think this qualifies as "classic". I had one of these back in the late 80's, and never could get it to give sharp images. I took it camping and Jupiter was just a faceless blob. So, I took it back to Wolf Camera and exchanged it for a Model 320 refractor. I couldn't remember the model of that Meade SCT until I saw this eBay ad.

Always wondered if it was just my telescope that was a lemon, or if the entire model line was bad stuff. It's a georgeous little instrument, and I would love to have one that worked.

Ebay 2045

#2 studentofoptics

studentofoptics

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 05 June 2007 - 09:06 AM

I have a Meade 2045 SCT that I purchased back in 1986. This was my first telescope and I can still remember seeing Saturn and Mars (during '88 opposition) for the first time. The model I have says it was made in Japan. I believe the later models were manufactured in the US.

FWIW, I would say my 2045 has very good optics. I can recall seeing a textbook diffraction pattern through this telescope. The first diffraction ring was quite prominent due to the scope' large central obstruction (about 40%). One thing that I was impressed about this scope was the complete lack of image shift during focusing. I didn't appreciate this attribute until I moved to a larger SCT.

Although this scope's optical correction is good, its large central obstruction and its lack of high transmission coatings mean the image tends to be dim and lack that crisp quality. I would surmise that this scope would give images on par with a 3" refractor based on my testing with my 3" f/16 Unitron refractor.

Even though I had a numerous chance to let this scope go, I always managed to hold onto it out of sentimentality. For many years, I used this telescope on a large picnic bench with the table top tripod legs. And for that, it was perfect as a grab and go. Even now I take it out of its case from time to time and enjoy the "vintage" views.

Mike

#3 Jae

Jae

Apollo

Posted 05 June 2007 - 09:33 AM

It is a beautiful instrument. The best information I've seen on it is written by Rod Mollise.

http://skywatch.brai...ed/used_sct.pdf

See page 87 on.

I have a near mint 2045D.

It is mechanically superior and optically very good. The "D" model has the multi-coated optics group and the images are fairly bright. I like the benefit of f10 optics on a 4inch SCT with it's wider field than the 90mm Mak as well as all the SCT accessories. It's a beauty all right, in a very nice portable size but as with all SCT's go all out to collimate perfectly at very high power, an in-focus star image to get the sharpest image.

#4 Jae

Jae

Apollo

Posted 05 June 2007 - 10:04 AM

Also, I used a good 1.25 TV everbrite diagonal and sometimes use the high resolution eyepieces that comes on Questars to make a difference in how sharp these scope can get.

#5 Bonco

Bonco

Skylab

Posted 05 June 2007 - 08:38 PM

Mike's report is close to my experience. I have a like new one that I bought in 1986. It's not easy to collimate but once that's done it provides good images. However I think my Unitron 3 inch clear aperature yields superior views. I'll have to do a side by side comparo to make sure. The scope with it's mount and case is a jewel and I'll hang on to mine. I use the OTA as a spotting scope and I also use the OTA as a white light solar scope mounted on a camera tripod. Works great as a grab and go. Bonco

#6 Jae

Jae

Apollo

Posted 05 June 2007 - 09:34 PM

However I think my Unitron 3 inch clear aperature yields superior views. Bonco

Bonco,
Me too.....don't want to admit it. I think if Questar is 1/8 wave, then 2045 may be 1/4 or 1/3 wave ? Still very good but not in the superb category.

#7 Bonco

Bonco

Skylab

Posted 05 June 2007 - 09:52 PM

Jae,
Thanks for the link great info available there. Awesome !!
Bonco

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics