•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Your humble moderator needs assistance.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 05 June 2007 - 05:05 PM

Hi folks!

Well, I have had an ad on AstroMart and in the CN S&S for about a week now without a single response. I am looking for a "vintage style" 60mm clamshell that commonly came with these older 60mm achromats.

I figure someone in here may have a spare laying around. If so, PM me and we'll discuss. I'll pay for the clamshell and shipping.

Regards and clear skies,

MikeG

#2 twhite

twhite

Vanguard

Posted 05 June 2007 - 05:13 PM

Mike,

Have you ever seen a clamshell other than Unitron's that detached from the mount or was usable on several different mounts? I haven't... that was one of my challenges.

I wish I could find one myself. Still thinking about going with the SoCal rings, since he'll make custom sizes... but, ouch!

t

#3 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 05 June 2007 - 05:42 PM

As long as I can get one hole to line up on the mount head, that's all I need. I'm not afraid to drill holes either. The tube is very light, so I would feel confident having the clamshell/OTA held on by one bolt if the other hole won't line up.

Regards and clear skies,

MikeG

#4 Jae

Jae

Apollo

Posted 05 June 2007 - 06:30 PM

Tony, Mike,

All the Towa scope mounts that came with the 60mm Sears EQ, Meade 290, 291's have removable 60mm clam shells that fit the Tasco and similar 60mm tubes.

Check out the classic photos of the blue tube 60mm sears as well as my Meade 290.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1645605-1330984-IMG_0188%20enhanced%20trimmed%20%28Large%29.jpg

#5 twhite

twhite

Vanguard

Posted 05 June 2007 - 08:23 PM

Well. Live and learn. :p Now we just need to find one.

#6 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 05 June 2007 - 08:28 PM

Tony,

I love those old Towa mounts. Sure, they are obsolete by today's high-tech standards, but they are solid, well-built little mounts. Look how many of them are still in service today after 2 or 3 decades of use/abuse. I owned the little EQ-1 shown with your blue tube Meade. I had a 90mm Apogee short tube mounted on it. And I owned it's bigger brother, the EQ-2 that came with the 80mm Towa/Meades.

And I just like that classic black crinkle paint finish.

Funny thing is, I've had several of these clamshells at one time or another, but never kept one to put in the parts box. Live and learn truly. ;)

Regards and clear skies,

MikeG

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics