•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

May07 Imaging/Sketching Contest Finals Poll!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
41 replies to this topic

Poll: May07 Imaging/Sketching Contest Finals Poll! (575 member(s) have cast votes)

Which Image is our winner?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#26 Dennis Sakva

Dennis Sakva

Apollo

Posted 12 June 2007 - 03:52 AM

M51 is wonderful, Leo trio is overflown with details... But I've never seen SO MUCH DETAILS ON THE VENUS! I think the author "extracted" every possible detail from that. Truly unique!

#27 andyenglish

andyenglish

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 12 June 2007 - 08:19 AM

The Leo Trio gets my vote, too. That is Hubble-quality photography!
-Andy

#28 Mark Costello

Mark Costello

Soyuz

Posted 12 June 2007 - 09:14 AM

Again, these are all great pictures. The interesting thing about this contest is that so many of the final entries are done with newts. Generally, I don't see too many pictures taken with newts these days but the ones submitted here are really great.

I came close to voting for the Leo Trio and M51 pictures but in the end my vote went to swalker's Venus picture. I've never seen Venusian detail like that taken with an earth based telescope. Well done!!

#29 trion23

trion23

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 12 June 2007 - 10:43 AM

I have a very hard time selecting my favorite almost every month.

My two favorites are Florent's M51 and Krneki's Leo Trio, but all are worthy of votes! All are fantastic images (and sketch) by their own merits.

Thanks,

Trion

#30 Keplero

Keplero

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 12 June 2007 - 04:37 PM

All are awesome !!
My favourite for this month is swalker's Venus
I´ve never seen this amount of details on Venus !! Really very difficult matter. Congratulations !

#31 TheBigEye

TheBigEye

Explorer 1

Posted 12 June 2007 - 06:56 PM

I struggled with this one. Maybe the contest should move to having multiple images in each category, then letting us vote on a winner for each category. Such different equipment and talent is required for those categories. In this month's set, M51 is just amazing. So is the shot of Venus. And, so is the "Leo Trio" - one of my favorite targets. In the end I gave the nod to the Leo Trio because I thought the photographer did an outstanding job with the equipment at his disposal. All of the entries are excellent!

#32 CreationAstroGuy

CreationAstroGuy

Viking 1

Posted 12 June 2007 - 07:59 PM

They are all amazing! The sketch of the moon stood out to me, though. Great job everyone!

#33 EverlastingSky

EverlastingSky

Viking 1

Posted 12 June 2007 - 09:42 PM

The sketch by Kris Smet is timeless... the human eye, pencil and paper... and a simple Dobsonian mounted Newtonian telescope without any electronics.
Not even a motor =)

#34 Eugene

Eugene

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 June 2007 - 01:44 AM

DSLR & Digital Camera Astro Imaging & Processing's Finalist - krneki: WOW!!! Shoked!
Very nice work!

#35 navajo

navajo

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 June 2007 - 05:59 AM

The detail on Venus took my breath away - such a challenging subject captured with incredible depth and subtlety.

The sketch is great too, but Swalker gets my vote overall for such a unique image.

#36 swalker

swalker

Associate Editor - Sky & Telescope

• Vendors

Posted 13 June 2007 - 10:22 AM

I agree all are very nice. It's quite hard (and perhaps unfair) to pit different formats against one another; I dabble in all formats of astrophotography, depending on whats up; normally I shoot deep sky imagery, but when a particularly interesting project crops up (such as this wonderful apparition of Venus) I concentrate my efforts on that current challenge.
I've been informed by the ALPO Venus director that this is the first apparition where many imagers have departed from the visual wavelengths to pursue the elusive and mysterious details within the Venusian atmosphere (it is still unknown what substance is absorbing UV light in these features). Also, this pursuit contributes true science.

Still, I believe all the entries are winners in their own right. My venus image is just due mostly to luck and patience- I've so far recorded Venus on 40 nights since January.

Sean Walker

#37 thelittleman

thelittleman

Vendor (Peter's Actions)

• Vendors

Posted 16 June 2007 - 07:09 AM

Congrats Florent for a wonderful image! They were all amazing - I voted for Kris's incredible sketch, but I was nearly down to the old 'eeny meeny miny mo'!

#38 swalker

swalker

Associate Editor - Sky & Telescope

• Vendors

Posted 16 June 2007 - 09:56 AM

Congrats Florent- a wonderful image.

#39 Charlie Hein

Charlie Hein

Voyager 1

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 16 June 2007 - 10:02 AM

Maybe the contest should move to having multiple images in each category, then letting us vote on a winner for each category.

You actually can - semi-finals are held each month in the respective forums. You get the chance to vote for the image that will eventually come here for the finals!

Charlie

#40 Charlie Hein

Charlie Hein

Voyager 1

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 16 June 2007 - 10:03 AM

Congratulations to Florent on a well deserved win! Many thanks to all the finalists - you folks are awesome!

Charlie

#41 Dragon Man

Dragon Man

Gemini

Posted 18 June 2007 - 09:22 AM

Well this is getting harder every month. Specially since they are all from different "schools", they are all outright winners. . . . . Finally, I have to say that Dragon Man should be kicked out of the beginners forum!!! - great detail in the low S/N areas!

Thank you for the compliment. Which section do I move to with a Toucam?

Congrats Florent for your superb image, and to the others . . . well done. All great images.

#42 Florent

Florent

Ranger 4

Posted 04 July 2007 - 01:54 PM

Once again, i just came back from the Ntl parks in the West of the US for my photographic project about the US landscapes. I was left from France early in June.

Thanks thanks thanks guys...............Very proud of that. It is a honor to me. :bow:

You are Great Guys !!!!!!!

Once again thank you so much.

Warmest Regards,

Florent :jump:

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics