•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Binochair prototype is finished

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 Mad Matt

Mad Matt

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 11 August 2004 - 01:18 PM

The first prototype of my Binochair is finished.

Posted Image

The parallelagram arm was made using a LCD swing arm

Posted Image

It works quite well but I do need to make the groundboard larger. With the bino's mounted it tends to tip to that side when I'm not seated.

The LCD arm works very well as a raw parts deliverer for a P-mount.

-Matt

#2 Rammysherriff

Rammysherriff

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 11 August 2004 - 01:31 PM

Sehr gut!

Perhaps a lump of lead or similar on the opposite side of the base board to the bino pillar might prevent the tipping and give you smoother azimuth?

10 out of 10 for Scrapheap challenge use of the LCD monitor arm for the parallelogram arm.

Is the tilt of the chair fixed? Are you considering making it variable and linked to the binos?

I am very impressed.

#3 dgs©

dgs©

Hubble

Posted 11 August 2004 - 01:35 PM

Nice looking set up.
Instead of a larger groundboard, how about some ballast? Maybe a heavy plate (steel) for a weightlifting set under the center of the chair would keep it level whether you are seated or not. Just an idea. :shrug:

#4 Craig Simmons

Craig Simmons

Surveyor 1

Posted 11 August 2004 - 02:44 PM

That looks great! Where did you get the monitor swing arm? And what supports it?

I found I had to add a wider triangular frame (37" per side) out of P.T. 2x2s for the groundboard assembly on my binochair to keep from tipping. Now it's completely stable.

#5 Mad Matt

Mad Matt

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 12 August 2004 - 02:16 PM

Thanks for all the tipps. As a stop gap measure I'm using a counterwieght (I just happend to have a 3kg stainless steel counterwieght laying around :crazy: )

The problem with the counterwieght is that by back schreems every time I lift the thing in and out of the car.

The arm was purchased from Conrad Electronics here in Germany (www.conrad.de). I do not know of a US source.

The back of the chair of fixed but I've modified the angle and have the movable pillow. It is fine from Zenith to about 25°. Below that the skies in Germany are unusable to I'll stay with that for now.

Now all I need to do is make the thing lighter and maybe lengthen the P-mount arms a bit.

FORTUNATLY I will not be able to make the needed modifications soon :-)

Posted Image

Born 13:09 CEST today. Now I have a more important projekt :-D

-Matt

#6 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 12 August 2004 - 02:32 PM

Matt,

Congratulations on fatherhood !

I hope you were there to witness the most wonderful thing in this world.

All the best -- Kenny.

#7 dgs©

dgs©

Hubble

Posted 12 August 2004 - 02:34 PM

At least now you won't have any trouble staying awake at night. :lol:
Congratulations on the new addition to the family. (Another 3kg counterweight?) No wouldn't be very stable. :grin:
Before you know it she'll be wanting to look through those binoculars.

#8 Rammysherriff

Rammysherriff

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 12 August 2004 - 03:31 PM

You lucky man Matt.

I could knock together a binochair given enough time - but you have received a greater blessing in your daughter than I could ever hope for for myself. May you find peace and joy there.

#9 Mad Matt

Mad Matt

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 12 August 2004 - 03:52 PM

Thanks to all.

I was luckely there experiance the wonder live, and in person from begin to end. It truely defies any description. Let it suffice to say I was deeply moved.

Now its time to go to bed and get the last good nights sleep for the next 18 years :-)

Thanks again,
Matt

#10 Craig Simmons

Craig Simmons

Surveyor 1

Posted 12 August 2004 - 04:00 PM

Congratulations! That bino chair, a warm bottle of milk and she'll be asleep in no time.

#11 jack savard

jack savard

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 12 August 2004 - 06:47 PM

do you have a kind of lady suza unther the chair for mouving around the vertical axe or so

I plan to built somthing like this whit a lafuma chair and told tv harm that I buy used for 10.00 and the lady suzan made whit golf ball and tow plywood

I send picture here later
:tonofbricks:

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics