•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sky Tools 2 (CN Report)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 asaint

asaint

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 12 August 2004 - 07:52 AM

Sky Tools 2

#2 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 13 August 2004 - 07:39 PM

Thanks for posting this review and though a happy user of TheSky I was convinced to give this program a try. Bought it today. :grin:

#3 beruberu

beruberu

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 14 August 2004 - 05:07 AM

Hello,

Good idea, you will love it.... If I should have only one soft left on my PC, it will be that one..
You can see my review (in french, but you you can translate it online) at http://astrosurf.com.../SkyTools 2.htm

Have a nice try...........

best greetings from Geneva Switzerland

#4 Tom L

Tom L

ISS

Posted 14 August 2004 - 08:29 PM

This was posted 2 days ago and I missed it! Peter...after reading your review, I was let down with your ho-hum summary...you were so enthusiastic during the review! ;)

What is required to get the discount? a group buy? How big does the group have to be?

#5 Peter Argenziano

Peter Argenziano

Watcher of the Skies

Posted 14 August 2004 - 09:32 PM

What is required to get the discount?

To qualify, a group purchase must be made through a club by an officer and purchased at the same time (one check to CapellaSoft). The club discount program works as follows:

2-9 copies qualify for a 25% discount, making each copy $74.96 plus $10 shipping for all nine.

10-24 copies gets a 40% discount, making the unit cost $59.97, with shipping costs of $1 ped CD.

24 or more copies earns a 50% discount ($49.98 each) with shipping costs of 80¢ per disc.

We took advantage of the second offer.

Peter

#6 Tom L

Tom L

ISS

Posted 14 August 2004 - 10:25 PM

Thanks Peter.

#7 Tom L

Tom L

ISS

Posted 21 August 2004 - 07:21 PM

I finally got a chance to install this on my notebook. So far I am very impressed with it and also know that I have so much to learn about using this software package. I gotta tell ya, though... I am very much looking forward to learn how to use this SW package to it's fullest! And I don't say that about very many SW applications...

Thanks again, Peter...

#8 Peter Argenziano

Peter Argenziano

Watcher of the Skies

Posted 22 August 2004 - 02:52 PM

You're welcome, Tom. I hope you enjoy using it!

We had a clear night last night... and I stayed out until dawn! What I like most about using ST2 is the ability to generate dynamic observing lists in the field. The group that assembled last night included an 11" Starmaster (on it's first dark outing), an Orion XT12, and my 13.1" Dob (plus others). In a couple of clicks I generated a list of nebulae (diffuse, dark and planetary) that was visible to us and situated above 30° (2x airmass). Sweet! :)

Peter

#9 Tom L

Tom L

ISS

Posted 22 August 2004 - 04:04 PM

:waytogo:

#10 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 23 August 2004 - 09:35 AM

Well, I've had Sky Tools 2 for a few days now and already like it better than TheSky which I have used for over a year now.

Sky Tools 2 has more features and all of them are useful.

Thanks again for the review. :jump:

#11 fore

fore

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 December 2004 - 10:50 PM

which version of sky 6 were you using?

#12 Carol L

Carol L

Cosmos

Posted 30 December 2004 - 11:15 PM

I've had it for a few years now..
Definitely two thumbs-up. :waytogo: :waytogo:

For excellent customer support, try Gregg's Yahoo Group:
http://groups.yahoo....group/skytools/
Improvements for the program have been brainstormed in there, as well as lots of tips and ideas from other users.
:)

#13 luismartinez

luismartinez

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 26 September 2008 - 01:17 PM

if you only buy one (yeah right) observer software, get this one! It is more than I expected and am using it exclusively at the scope.

#14 jsmiller58

jsmiller58

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 26 September 2008 - 06:56 PM

I actually own Sky Tools 2, AstroPlanner 1.6.1, and Deep-Sky Planner 4. Each has its own pluses and minuses, and for a while I really wanted to stick with AstroPlanner, but I would have to agree that ST2 is the one, at least for me. While the other two can do a subset of everything I am interested in, I have only found that Sky Tools 2 lets me do all of: search multiple catalogs (AstroPlanner yes, Deep Sky no), interface with ASCOM to control telescopes and domes (Deep Sky does, AstroPlanner does not), work closely with TheSky 6 and TPoint (Deep Sky uses Starry Night and TheSky 6, AstroPlanner does not use any of these), and SkyTools 2 has fantastic built in charting functionality... ST2 does not have the slickest interface (Deep Sky Planner wins that one).

All in all, at least for my needs Sky Tools 2 is my favorite...

Having said all of the above... Both Sky Tools and AstroPlanner are expecting major upgrades very soon, so all of this is going to change. Having new choices will be great!!

James

#15 Astrosetz

Astrosetz

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 28 September 2008 - 08:41 PM

Sky Tools 2 is awesome! I've been using ST for years and with all those pathetic little galaxies and OCs in the Herschel and Herschel-II lists, if I didn't have the eyepiece fields printed out, I don't see how I could have positively ID'd a lot of the objects.

For strictly planetarium-type work at outreach events and such, ST isn't the best but Stellarium is fantastic for that in addition to being free.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics