•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

LX200R 14" Inbound. Scorecard being prepared

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
75 replies to this topic

#51 JerryWise

JerryWise

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 24 June 2007 - 06:49 PM

Jerry, make sure you have your tree hoist and blocks ready.
Gary

Oops, sorry Gary. I missed your post when the page flipped. I've got it pretty well worked out now. The wife made a felt lined Sunbrella cover for the 14" OTAs. When the scope is in it there is a mesh strap with a very good handle I can grip and carry it close to the chest. With anything at all on the OTA it starts out at 80 pounds. Doesn't get heavy until the fourth or fifth floor. (See link to my site below.) (Ok, ok..... it gets heavy about the fourth step or so.)

#52 Gary

Gary

Messenger

Posted 24 June 2007 - 08:24 PM

Jerry, who could ask for anything more? That site of yours is a dream.
Gary

#53 JerryWise

JerryWise

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 24 June 2007 - 09:39 PM

Thanks Gary. Its got a long way to go but the trip is a lot of fun.

#54 MADRID SKY

MADRID SKY

Viking 1

Posted 25 June 2007 - 11:47 AM

Oh my gosh... I am trembling about the idea of importing a Meade from USA to SPAIN.

If that hapenned inside USA, think about an international trip!

#55 konadan

konadan

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 25 June 2007 - 01:04 PM

Yes, the packing was not very good. 2 pieces of foam on each end and it was not double boxed. There were no labels indicating High Value Item or fragil. The scope was dropped ship from Meade. This gave a whole new meaning to the term "Drop Ship"

#56 MADRID SKY

MADRID SKY

Viking 1

Posted 25 June 2007 - 02:58 PM

Hahahaha.

Oh, man, you are really taking it with humour.

A new definition level to the term "DROP SHIP". Dropped... from what height? I take your case as it could be my own case in a few months...

I don't understand these freaking carrier workers. If we could see how they deal with our pakages, we would be pulling our hair out all the way from Irvine to our home.

:bawling:

#57 konadan

konadan

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 25 June 2007 - 05:17 PM

Madrid Sky, Meade called this morning and they are taking care of everything. I sent them pictures of all the damage. I imagine they will have a chat with UPS. Now the question is how long will it take to replace it.

#58 MADRID SKY

MADRID SKY

Viking 1

Posted 25 June 2007 - 05:55 PM

Hmmm... very great news indeed.

I imagine Meade will not call me back to replace it at all.I will have to die with my crushed OTA (or get a plane and get it back to California myself... it will be like "from Madrid to California" or something similar) just becouse some penaut headed dumb "de-palletized" my scope from a 10 meters height.

A bit concerned about your case...

#59 upsguy

upsguy

Uff da

Posted 26 June 2007 - 11:26 PM

i think meade sent you a dented OTA right off the bat.

#60 JerryWise

JerryWise

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 26 June 2007 - 11:52 PM

I'm telling yall.... that one was meant for me. They just got the boxes mixed up.

#61 impakt

impakt

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 27 June 2007 - 06:30 AM

Well I'm glad I didn't get that scope. I'm realy getting cold feet now :undecided: And after having a chat to a guy who owns an 8" LX200, I'm thinking Mead might not be the best choice. Problem is they are the only ones who make a 14" that I can afford.

#62 krackerjack9

krackerjack9

Viking 1

Posted 27 June 2007 - 08:17 AM

If I was going to ship anything like that overseas I would highly recomend a crate be built for the box, it might be a added cost but it be well worth it. I have been to several sites and I really wouldnt go so far as blaming UPS even though if that is who the soul carrier was. There are several places where shipments go from this to that to truck to pallet ect. Sort of looks to me that if that is the bottom of the box I would bet that it was on the bottom and a forklift was trying to pick it up along with another box next to it. The forklift then proceded to lift up and the forks came up but the box didnt so that is how I think this happend. But I would crate for the return trip.

#63 MADRID SKY

MADRID SKY

Viking 1

Posted 27 June 2007 - 11:50 AM

If I was going to ship anything like that overseas I would highly recomend a crate be built for the box, it might be a added cost but it be well worth it. I have been to several sites and I really wouldnt go so far as blaming UPS even though if that is who the soul carrier was. There are several places where shipments go from this to that to truck to pallet ect. Sort of looks to me that if that is the bottom of the box I would bet that it was on the bottom and a forklift was trying to pick it up along with another box next to it. The forklift then proceded to lift up and the forks came up but the box didnt so that is how I think this happend. But I would crate for the return trip.

Man, for sure I will iron-crate my flippin' pallet all the way home.

Thank you for the advice, very timely one.

#64 Neil

Neil

Viking 1

Posted 27 June 2007 - 12:21 PM

MadridSky,

I don't really understand your concerns.
Here in the UK you go to a meade DEALER, not meade directly when ordering these scopes. So assuming that when the scope hits (sorry...:) the dealer it is their responsibilty to check it over and ensure its fit for purpose before shipping onto you.
The long journey from the states isn't yours to worry about, its the dealers...or am I missing something here....or don't you have meade dealers in Spain???

On another note, I am looking forward to Mr J's appraisal of one of meades finest as I may have the funds to get one of these beauties, a lot of scope for the money, even over here in the UK.

Cheers, Neil.

#65 obieone

obieone

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 27 June 2007 - 06:07 PM

MadridSky,

Here in the UK you go to a meade DEALER, not meade directly when ordering these scopes. So assuming that when the scope hits (sorry...:) the dealer it is their responsibilty to check it over and ensure its fit for purpose before shipping onto you.
The long journey from the states isn't yours to worry about, its the dealers...or am I missing something here....or don't you have meade dealers in Spain???

On another note, I am looking forward to Mr J's appraisal of one of meades finest as I may have the funds to get one of these beauties, a lot of scope for the money, even over here in the UK.

Cheers, Neil.

Hi,

As far as i know the main dealer in Spain is in Madrid.

I bought mine in the UK.

But not without trying to get one shipped over from the USA first.

But Meade won't let dealer's in the USA/Canada deal over seas
:bawling: for obvious half price reasons.

Regards ,
Jeff

#66 JerryWise

JerryWise

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 27 June 2007 - 10:54 PM

It's here. I'll start another thread with pictures.

#67 LLEEGE

LLEEGE

True Blue

Posted 27 June 2007 - 11:03 PM

It's here. I'll start another thread with pictures.

Well, come on man! I'm on the edge of my seat! :bigshock:

#68 MADRID SKY

MADRID SKY

Viking 1

Posted 28 June 2007 - 05:40 AM

MadridSky,

Cheers, Neil.

Hi, Neil.

There are options to have the half priced Meade in Europe. If you have any relative or friend in the States, you can have your Meade at half-price.

:)

#69 Ben Ritchie

Ben Ritchie

Lost in Space

Posted 28 June 2007 - 06:27 AM

There are options to have the half priced Meade in Europe. If you have any relative or friend in the States, you can have your Meade at half-price

We do this one regularly. It's not exactly half price in the first place, and even then only if you can ship it to Europe for free and not pay tax or duty. Last time I costed it out fully - admittedly a little time ago - I would save less than 20% and render the warranty all but useless (I'd have to ship it to and from the USA before they would touch it) which, given Meade's track record, is a big risk to take.

Sadly my response to Meade's prices in the UK is ... to not buy Meade. Far eastern stuff is on a par with USA prices (e.g. my Mewlon was less than USA list price, and Skywatcher is generally as cheap or cheaper here too) so I buy that.

#70 MADRID SKY

MADRID SKY

Viking 1

Posted 28 June 2007 - 07:46 AM

I am still thinking about getting a cheap Meade if things go wrong (Meade 10" LX200R), and on the future get onto a more discriminating scope, maybe an Intes Maksutov-Cass. on a Paramount, as I don't want to to have an open tube design (Mewlon). I'd like to buy a newton-maksutov, but that design could be too long a tube for my observatory dimensions.

I don't know yet what to do. It will mostly depend on my limited pocket depth, for sure.

#71 Neil

Neil

Viking 1

Posted 28 June 2007 - 01:08 PM

We do this one regularly. It's not exactly half price in the first place, and even then only if you can ship it to Europe for free and not pay tax or duty. Last time I costed it out fully - admittedly a little time ago - I would save less than 20% and render the warranty all but useless (I'd have to ship it to and from the USA before they would touch it) which, given Meade's track record, is a big risk to take.

Well Ben I have done some maths and yes you could save money, but not as much as you think.
Meade 14 LX200R is $3,699 from OPT (actually reduced from $5,000 something), works out at £1,846, very good saving as list in the UK is £3,200.
Shipping works out at $500, approx £250, now add the 20% import tax of £368 and the total lot comes to £2,468, so in theory you could save anywhere between £1,000 to £700, quite a bit.
However I have been informed by several retailers in the Uk that there is movement in the UK list price, so the savings aren't as great again. Personally for peace of mind I'd rather screw the price down in the UK and have it through a dealer.

Sadly my response to Meade's prices in the UK is ... to not buy Meade. Far eastern stuff is on a par with USA prices (e.g. my Mewlon was less than USA list price, and Skywatcher is generally as cheap or cheaper here too) so I buy that.

I think thats a little unfair on Meade Ben. I remember buying a LX200 10 inch for about 3500 pounds 10 years ago, now the prices haven't really changed in 10 years and are more comparable to what I think a good quality telescope should be. The 10 LX200R is now cheaper at just under 3 thousand pounds so I think good value.
The OTA is around 1500 pounds.
I love takahashi scopes myself, but for the aperture, trying to price up a 12 inch mewlon, or (swallow) baker richtey is well, certainly out of my price range at the moment.

Cheers, Neil.

#72 Ben Ritchie

Ben Ritchie

Lost in Space

Posted 28 June 2007 - 04:40 PM

Well Ben I have done some maths and yes you could save money, but not as much as you think.

I think you mixed me up with someone else there, because I don't think you save as much as it appears, especially if you push for a deal here (i.e. don't pay list). To me the saving is certainly not enough to throw away the warranty for. Last time I costed it the dollar was at 1.70 or 1.80 though, and then there was pretty much nothing in it.

I think thats a little unfair on Meade Ben..

Is it? In the USA a 10" LX200R OTA is roughly half the price of a Mewlon 210. That's close on a no-brainer, and if the same thing could be done here I wouldn't own a Mewlon - but in the UK they're nearly the same price (in both cases including tax and delivery). I'd say that Meade is very good value in the USA, but over here the price difference pushes them up against much stronger competition.

#73 JerryWise

JerryWise

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 28 June 2007 - 08:21 PM

One of our friends in the UK bought a 10" LX200R that had the collimation problem mentioned in earlier post. He went through much grief trying to get resolution but buying in the US and carrying it over made him lible for all shipping. He ended up, I believe, losing money on the deal.

#74 Neil

Neil

Viking 1

Posted 29 June 2007 - 10:14 AM

I think you mixed me up with someone else there, because I don't think you save as much as it appears, especially if you push for a deal here (i.e. don't pay list).

Don't worry Ben, it happens all the time, I blame my age.....:crazy:

but in the UK they're nearly the same price (in both cases including tax and delivery). I'd say that Meade is very good value in the USA, but over here the price difference pushes them up against much stronger competition.

Well it would be if you were comparing like for like.
The mewlon 210 (8.5") is currently 1920 pounds from trutek.
The meade LXR 8" is 1099 pounds.

The mewlon 250 (10") is 4581 pounds.
The meade LXR 10" is 1569 pounds, sorry but I think takahashi still have a way to go Ben to beat the good value of the meades.....or am I missing something... :question:

Cheers, Neil.

#75 Ben Ritchie

Ben Ritchie

Lost in Space

Posted 29 June 2007 - 10:46 AM

Neil, I picked the Mewlon 210 vs. 10" LX200R as it's a decision i've just been through, and, when it came to pay, the price difference was small enough to never be a consideration in the pick, whatever the list might say (I didn't pay list). From a point of view of aperture they're not directly comparable, but from focal length and optical performance they are. I wouldn't suggest extending the comparison across the range.

The thing is it's not a choice most people would ever even consider in the States, the Mewlon is so much more expensive that it doesn't make much sense in most cases - you've really got to want the particular strengths of a Dall-Kirkham to even think of it. Heck, a 14" LX200R OTA is only $500 more than the Mewlon. So if Meade are up against the notoriously-expensive Takahashi at all in the UK then that's overpriced to me - after all, Tak, while expensive, deliver a very high level of build quality with their products. So if i'm picking on price i'll go to Skywatcher (the 80ED is still, I think, a bargain and the HEQ5/EQ6 are very strong performers for the money) and on quality Takahashi or Vixen. At the moment Meade, in the UK, are getting torn between the two. Just my thinking about it, don't expect anybody else to necessarily agree with me.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics