•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

UniAnt

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 Bonco

Bonco

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 16 June 2007 - 05:47 PM

Here's a picture of my new 4 Inch F/15 Antares refractor on my classic 3 inch Unitron mount. So far it looks like this mount will handle it as the OTA is not that heavy and I don't plan to add guidescopes etc. The scope worked fine last night using my Super polaris mount, however the tripod legs were wobbely. The Unitron mount has vastly superior legs. If interested, check out the Refractor Forum for my initial reviews...Looks purty don't you think on the Unitron mount?
Bonco

Attached Thumbnails

• 1666495-image010001.jpg

#2 Preston Smith

Preston Smith

The Travel Scope Guy

Posted 16 June 2007 - 06:10 PM

Wow! Looks great! Great idea! :bow:

#3 clintwhitman

clintwhitman

Caveman

Posted 17 June 2007 - 06:52 AM

Awsome switch

#4 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors

Posted 17 June 2007 - 08:31 AM

That Antares is starting to look Unitronish!

:)

#5 Jae

Jae

Apollo

Posted 17 June 2007 - 09:58 AM

Bonco, Oh....I like that. A beauty ! A perfect fit for a 4 incher ? Wonder how the Uni 4 incher would fare there ?
Jae

#6 Bonco

Bonco

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 17 June 2007 - 03:18 PM

I think the Unitron tube would be heavier as they are more robust. I think my OTA weighs in at 11 lbs. Tried the combo last night with great success. The mount deals with the 4 inch nicely. It exceedeed my expectaions.
Bonco

#7 twhite

twhite

Vanguard

Posted 17 June 2007 - 06:59 PM

Well now... isn't that purty! :)

I've got the same mount here. Hmm. Nah, too much work dragging that thing out...

Tony

#8 Bonco

Bonco

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 17 June 2007 - 07:09 PM

Tony,
You have too many scopes and mounts collecting dust. I'll take them off you hands, drive to Oklahoma, pick em up, transport to Florida. All at no cost to you. LOL
Bonco

#9 Bonco

Bonco

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 17 June 2007 - 07:20 PM

Here's another comment. I had a 6 inch AP F/8 which I should have never parted with. However even tho that was a 1200mm scope the heavy triplet lens was a high mass and large moment. I had to always use extreme care to prevent the thing from swinging on its own toward a crash into the pier. The 4 inch on the other hand is better balanced by the finder and focuser assembly and is much better behaved even tho its longer. The 3 inch Unitron mount with its extended RA and Dec controls and solid tripod is superior to my Super Polaris mount and shakey tripod for this scope.
Bonco

#10 twhite

twhite

Vanguard

Posted 17 June 2007 - 07:29 PM

You have too many scopes and mounts collecting dust. I'll take them off you hands, drive to Oklahoma, pick em up, transport to Florida. All at no cost to you.

You know, there are days when I would ALMOST take you up on that.

Like last night, when we were trying to remember the last time we saw clear skies here... it's been two weeks at least. There were enough sucker holes for me to try out the Brandon 80 f/6 and I was quite impressed with it. Glad I bought it.

I had the GT100-45s up too with just the stock Chinese 24mm eyepieces and when we could see it was pretty impressive. Not a lot of color for an f/6 achromat. I didn't get the trailer out because I didn't know what the condition of the road to our dark sky site would be after all the rain (it's pretty bad) and it's too much hassle to get it all out and down there and parked and set up for... nothing. So I went light. :)

Took my daughter and her little Towa-made Swift 60 f/11 and everyone there was surprised how sharp and contrasty it was. We had a few holes and put it on Venus and Saturn both and it was quite good... what little we saw of the Moon was awesome, too.

Tony

#11 93alien

93alien

Messenger

Posted 17 June 2007 - 07:46 PM

i wondered if you were gonna be able to see anything last night tony. oh yeah by the way that scope has drool inducing good looks.
clear skies and big scopes,
mac

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics