•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Unitron 60mm objective: Good News / Bad News

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

#1 Preston Smith

Preston Smith

The Travel Scope Guy

• topic starter

Posted 19 June 2007 - 06:31 PM

Hi Folks!

I got around to cleaning the Unitron objective:

:) Good News - The glass is great!

:grin: More Good News - The coatings are great!!

:jump: Even more Good News - the outside lenses cleaned up very quickly!

:( The Bad News - the air space has a significant amount of dirt in it.

:) The Good News - I've cleaned air-spaced objective before.

:( The Bad News - I've never cleaned a Vintage objective before.

:shocked: More Bad News - I've never cleaned an objective with metal tabs before!

:doah: Even more Bad News - I have to break the original seals to do this! :bangbangbang:

OK Folks, I need your advice, wisdom and guidance on how to attack this baby! :question:

I'm open to suggestions, tips, traps and shortcuts! :bow:

Attached Thumbnails

• 1671829-objective compressed.jpg

#2 clintwhitman

clintwhitman

Caveman

Posted 19 June 2007 - 07:49 PM

I dont think it a big deal just use cotton gloves and cotton and cotton and more cotton to clean it and no matter how bad you want to dont use commet

#3 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

Posted 19 June 2007 - 10:28 PM

More bad news....you mess with that red nail polish and your collectability will fall like 1000%!! :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :lol:Mike

#4 clintwhitman

clintwhitman

Caveman

Posted 20 June 2007 - 02:16 AM

Sorry but thats the sillyest thing I have heard yet! so it better to have dust and residue in your objective and keep the locktight seal in place on your scopes. That like guys who have ten year old scope for sale and say the objective has never been touched. Where the heck do they use there scope a clean room at intel..Give me a break! Clean the lint balls and Most Emphatically NOT Haggis out of your telescope It will not affect the value or collectability of your OTA if it works good thats what matters!

#5 Preston Smith

Preston Smith

The Travel Scope Guy

• topic starter

Posted 20 June 2007 - 06:34 AM

Sorry but thats the sillyest thing I have heard yet! so it better to have dust and residue in your objective and keep the locktight seal in place on your scopes. That like guys who have ten year old scope for sale and say the objective has never been touched. Where the heck do they use there scope a clean room at intel..Give me a break! Clean the lint balls and Most Emphatically NOT Haggis out of your telescope It will not affect the value or collectability of your OTA if it works good thats what matters!

Great Caveman Wisdom! :applause:

(FYI: I think Mikey was stating that with tongue-in-cheek).

Hey Clint, good point in your earlier post about using cotton gloves. I have always used a cotton cloth over my hand but I can see where the gloves will provide a lot more control on holding onto the glass. Where do you get your gloves?

#6 Preston Smith

Preston Smith

The Travel Scope Guy

• topic starter

Posted 20 June 2007 - 06:46 AM

:question: I do have some questions on the metal foil spacers since I've never had to deal with them before.

I'm assuming that they are just placed in there with no adhesive - is this correct?

How prone are they to bending, tearing, etc?

Any special tips/tricks to putting the spacers back in place when reassembling the objective?

#7 clintwhitman

clintwhitman

Caveman

Posted 20 June 2007 - 09:30 AM

They can be a pain on a 4" they are either tacked in place or the pressure over time makes them seem like they are. I just cleaned around them with a Qtip. I didnt have to split the cell on the 2.4 Ron sent it spotless. but judging from the ones have cleaned they are easy to deal with and just stay in place. Also mark the edges of the lenes so you can put them back exactly the same way they came apart. I used tape on the edge. Gloves I found some super soft cotton gloves at a 99 cent store.

#8 Preston Smith

Preston Smith

The Travel Scope Guy

• topic starter

Posted 20 June 2007 - 10:30 AM

Good advice! Thanx! :bow:

#9 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 20 June 2007 - 09:05 PM

Your lenses might also already have indexing marks from the factory. Its possible, but I'm not sure Unitron did this.

Keith

#10 Lew Chilton

Lew Chilton

Vanguard

Posted 21 June 2007 - 12:29 AM

Preston,

Before taking the objective apart, I'd contact an expert, perhaps Roland Christian at Starfire or Al Nagler at Tele Vue. I've been told they are very accessible.

#11 clintwhitman

clintwhitman

Caveman

Posted 21 June 2007 - 09:56 AM

set aside 30 minutes if you call Al

#12 Preston Smith

Preston Smith

The Travel Scope Guy

• topic starter

Posted 23 June 2007 - 10:12 AM

Done!

It was a lot easier to do because of all the great advice. The first thing I noticed was no index marks so I had a felt pen standing by and identified the crown and flint and the using lines and arrows indicated the alignment of the lenses and the direction so I couldn't get them turned around or remount the objective backwards in the cell:

Attached Thumbnails

• 1678500-index marking the objective compressed.jpg

#13 Preston Smith

Preston Smith

The Travel Scope Guy

• topic starter

Posted 23 June 2007 - 10:16 AM

Cleaning the objective was very challenging. Perhaps the biggest lesson learned is that it is not like working in my woodshop. I should have listened more to Clint's advice and used cotton instead of my chisels and putty knife to remove the dirt. Oh well... the good news is the objective is clean and I calculate I still have about 38% free aperture:

Attached Thumbnails

• 1678510-joke compressed.jpg

#14 twhite

twhite

Vanguard

Posted 23 June 2007 - 10:35 AM

Cleaning the objective was very challenging. Perhaps the biggest lesson learned is that it is not like working in my woodshop. I should have listened more to Clint's advice and used cotton instead of my chisels and putty knife to remove the dirt. Oh well... the good news is the objective is clean and I calculate I still have about 38% free aperture:

That's not funny, man. See if I sell you any other scopes. :flame:

#15 twhite

twhite

Vanguard

Posted 23 June 2007 - 10:37 AM

You know what's funnier? Right after I made this post your 'just kidding' post/photo disappeared... at least for me. That's weird.

I know you're kidding, but... geez! :lol:

#16 Preston Smith

Preston Smith

The Travel Scope Guy

• topic starter

Posted 23 June 2007 - 10:41 AM

Only kidding..... :grin:

I DID use a lot of cotton and per Clint's advice I cleaned around the aluminum spacers. It was done in about 15 minutes. Now I'll carefully place the objective in a padded box, tell my wife where and what it is a.k.a Please Do Not Touch and when I get back from Texas I'll have the rest of the OTA to work on as a fall restoration project.

The previous picture was a damaged objective from a junk scope. I "added" a few extra clamshell chips for effect!

Thanks for everyone's advice. It is great to have this forum - what a wonderful resource! ;)

Attached Thumbnails

• 1678553-cleaned objective compressed.jpg

#17 ngc2289

ngc2289

Soyuz

Posted 23 June 2007 - 10:41 AM

Looks to me like you got some finger prints on the objective! Better clean those off before they damage the coatings!!!! :lol:

#18 Preston Smith

Preston Smith

The Travel Scope Guy

• topic starter

Posted 23 June 2007 - 10:44 AM

You know what's funnier? Right after I made this post your 'just kidding' post/photo disappeared... at least for me. That's weird.

I know you're kidding, but... geez! :lol:

Hi Tony!

Yeah, you caught me editing my post! I felt I better add the fact that no vintage glass was used or harmed in this joke! :rofl2:

#19 Preston Smith

Preston Smith

The Travel Scope Guy

• topic starter

Posted 23 June 2007 - 10:48 AM

Looks to me like you got some finger prints on the objective! Better clean those off before they damage the coatings!!!! :lol:

Geez, you're right Mike! I'll take care of it right away... ...now where is that hammer? :question:

#20 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors

Posted 23 June 2007 - 10:57 AM

Preston,

If I didn't "know" you better, you would have gotten me on this one! :lol:

Anyone who does that to a Unitron objective should be tarred, feathered, and run out of town on a rail!

;)

#21 twhite

twhite

Vanguard

Posted 23 June 2007 - 11:01 AM

Anyone who does that to a Unitron objective should be tarred, feathered, and run out of town on a rail!

Something about broken glass comes to mind. :D

#22 ngc2289

ngc2289

Soyuz

Posted 23 June 2007 - 11:05 AM

Use sand paper its more effective! :lol:

#23 Awesomelenny

Awesomelenny

Skylab

Posted 23 June 2007 - 11:10 AM

The wirebrush attachment on a bench grinder really does the trick. Then for the final polish, use the buffing wheel and industrial rouge!! :rofl2:

#24 Preston Smith

Preston Smith

The Travel Scope Guy

• topic starter

Posted 23 June 2007 - 11:10 AM

I have to admit that I was laughing my head off putting this together. Except... for the first few seconds when I held up the trashed lens for the photo. Seeing Unitron and that bad glass made me wince! :doah:

#25 ngc2289

ngc2289

Soyuz

Posted 23 June 2007 - 11:17 AM

Sandpaper is quicker! :rofl2:

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics