•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Quality diagonals

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bonco

Bonco

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 19 June 2007 - 11:06 PM

For my 3 inch Unitron I need one of two things and seek members help. The .965 to 1 1/4 diagonal I bought for around $30 from a popular supplier doesn't cut it. The tube that goes into the draw tube is only 3/4 inch so there is lots of play affecting collimation. To make it usable I have an ugly hose clamp around it but its still hard to keep it square. Also the prism body is plastic.
I need to find a quality .965 to 1/1/4 diaqonal or better yet find a 1 /1/4 screw in adapter for the draw tube so that any standard 1 1/4 diagonl can be used. Please let me know if you have any suggestions.
Thanks, Bonco

#2 twhite

twhite

Vanguard

Posted 19 June 2007 - 11:28 PM

You can still get 1.25" draw tube adapters from Unitron -- we had some discussion about that here just a few weeks ago... Unitron 1.25" adapter

#3 Bonco

Bonco

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 20 June 2007 - 08:24 PM

Thanks Tony I'll give Unitron a call.
Bonco

#4 Bonco

Bonco

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 21 June 2007 - 08:48 PM

Called Peter Indrigo at Unitron today. Yes they have the 1 and 1/4 inch screw in adapter. He's sending one to me for $30 plus shipping. Seems there may be a slight thread difference on various models and teflon tape might be needed to to be wrapped on the threads. Won't know until I try it. Either way I think it will work just fine. Now I need to find a quality 1 /14 diagonal. Thanks for the tip about contacting Peter. They have a few other vintage parts but he didn't specify what was left in inventory. Bonco

#5 Bonco

Bonco

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 27 June 2007 - 10:56 PM

For $30 Unitron sent me a 1 1/4 inch adapter. Screws into the draw tube perfectly square. I've ordered a quality 1 and 1/4 diagonal from Stellarvue. Me thinks this will be a big improvement over the cheapie .965 to 1 1/4 diagonal that I've been using. Bonco :)
Bonco

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics