•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Neat little 40mm Unitron

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#26 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 21 June 2007 - 07:43 PM

Michael,

Thanks for the info on not being able to modify the 4VTE. I guess I'll just stash it back in the parts pile. I only paid a few bucks for it at the Goodwill.

Keith

Keith,

I also have one and Micha is right. However, when I get back from Texas in Sept I'm planning on converting it for use as a guide scope. I have been scratching out some ideas so I'll post pictures when I get it done around October.

Ya know, the build quality is there...all metal inside and out, a solid cast focuser...why did they put such a Most Emphatically NOT Haggis objective in it? Or is it the erecting system? Or did I happen to just get a stinker?

Keith

#27 Preston Smith

Preston Smith

The Travel Scope Guy

Posted 21 June 2007 - 10:35 PM

Ya know, the build quality is there...all metal inside and out, a solid cast focuser...why did they put such a Most Emphatically NOT Haggis objective in it? Or is it the erecting system? Or did I happen to just get a stinker? Keith

Keith, my objective is pretty good for its small size. Try taking the objective off and set up a small wood plank so you have the objective at one end and a star diagonal and a GOOD eyepiece on the other end where it picks up the focal point. See if you get a good sharp image. If so, it is probably the rest of the optics in the zoom and erector. There's some pretty small glass in that zoom assembly.

#28 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 21 June 2007 - 11:13 PM

Yeah, I could make one of those 1.6" stick refractors like in the 'All About Telescopes' book. :jump: Good ATM idea.

Keith

#29 Preston Smith

Preston Smith

The Travel Scope Guy

Posted 22 June 2007 - 07:39 AM

Keith,

I tested the 40mm last night by simply removing the focuser and holding a diagonal and eyepiece about an inch or two from the end of the tube and it came to focus. Try putting the 40mm in a mount and check out the moon using the diagonal and eyepiece. That will give you a good test.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics