•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

OH...MY...GOD...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
48 replies to this topic

#26 twhite

twhite

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 23 June 2007 - 10:32 AM

If it wouldn't mean exile and/or divorce, I just make an offer on that TMB 105 and run off to Key West with it!

;)

I hear ya. I've actually got an interested buyer for it. I really can't justify keeping it any more -- I have the Traveler, which is optically nearly equal. The only reason I bought the 105 was because I could binoview with it unbarlowed... now that I've bought this Garrett GT100-45 binoscope I *really* don't need the 105. I'll keep the 152 for now... but the 105 could go.

I know I've got a lot of interested parties watching this deal -- I'm flattered in a way. I've been fortunate to have been able to collect as many nice scopes as I have; but this is so far over the top...

Those of you who have asked for prices on stuff - stay tuned. I have to travel all week next week, so I won't be doing much between now and next Friday. It may get REALLY interesting here after that. :D

#27 twhite

twhite

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 25 June 2007 - 11:06 PM

It's gone... no further communication from seller. :bawling:

This is just not my week.

#28 Preston Smith

Preston Smith

The Travel Scope Guy

Posted 25 June 2007 - 11:25 PM

Tony,

In an earlier post in this thread you put a quote in from the seller who said to wait a week:

Thank you for see My Classified. I know your intersting my Nikon eqipment. but Please wait untill next week. because I have my job very busy now. after taken Nikon 4"ED or eyepices and other picture, I'll put the images on my classified.

Maybe he's out of town and will be back in a few days! :praying:

#29 twhite

twhite

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 26 June 2007 - 10:57 AM

I've been in touch with him this morning. It sold.

He does, however, have a friend who has another one (OTA only, it sounds like) and I *might* have a chance at it.

/ray of hope

#30 clintwhitman

clintwhitman

Caveman

Posted 26 June 2007 - 10:25 PM

Bummer Tony well i hope you get the other one

#31 ukcanuck

ukcanuck

Vendor (Skylight Telescopes)

• Vendors

Posted 27 June 2007 - 05:13 AM

Hi folks, I'm pretty new here, and I live in the UK, which seems to be internet scam central! I just wanted to voice the concerns that would rise in my head if I got a reply like this:

Thank you for see My Classified. I know your intersting my Nikon eqipment. but Please wait untill next week. because I have my job very busy now. after taken Nikon 4"ED or eyepices and other picture, I'll put the images on my classified.

In the UK the spelling and grammatical errors would flag this as something to tread carefully with, and the fact that his friend happens to conveniently have another one would make me feel a little uneasy too...

I hope I haven't overstepped my bounds as a newbie... :p
I'm sure you all know the scams as well as I do anyway, but as nobody has said anything, I thought I'd chip in with my two cents.

I'm going to view a 3 inch Cooke refractor this week, so maybe you'll hear from me again soon!

Rick

#32 Vesper818

Vesper818

Astronomess

Posted 27 June 2007 - 07:07 AM

Hi Rick!
In someways, Craigslist is safer than Ebay, being a local classified ad. One usually goes to see the article and exchange monies in person, rather than sending money into the ether.
That second convenient scope does send up a flag, doesnt it?
Welcome to Cloudy nights! Best of luck on your Cook, and we would love pics and report when you get her!

#33 clintwhitman

clintwhitman

Caveman

Posted 27 June 2007 - 07:21 AM

I think this guy posted on astromart and is in japan

#34 twhite

twhite

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 27 June 2007 - 08:44 AM

He is Japanese, so his grammar raises no concern to me.

I'm not so concerned about the 'convenient' second scope, either. Galakuma pointed out one that was on a Yahoo! Japan auction that went for over $4000 that he bid on for me but was outbid. -- it was COMPLETE, too. I told him to go to 500,000 Yen and it went for 530,000 Yen. It's the shipping cost of the mount that really makes that scary.

And the seller of the first scope has a glowing reference from one AM user who I know and trust...

#35 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors

Posted 27 June 2007 - 08:50 AM

I have a stepson living in Yamaguchi City. He keeps an eye on Yahoo Japan Auctions for me. I have him looking for a 3-4" Takahashi for me. Lord knows I will never afford one over here. I told him that cosmetics means nothing, as long as the glass is good. I have a good feeling that your's truly is going to own a Tak or Vixen APO before the year is up. :)

Regards,

MikeG

PS - I hope you get a Nikon Tony, we are all pulling for you.!

#36 Preston Smith

Preston Smith

The Travel Scope Guy

Posted 27 June 2007 - 12:17 PM

You know, while it is truly dissapointing that Tony didn't get the scope I think this "exercise" was very valuable.

In the New Testament there is a parable of a pearl merchant who sold everything to get a pearl of great price. None of us know when an opportunity like this will arise for one of us. But they happen!

What is wonderful is this forum has proven it can be a valuable conduit to quickly sell off a cache of scopes to individuals who will provide proper care and use of these classics.

In addition, new folks coming into this forum (I for one) are given the opportunity to purchase some of the "low hanging fruit" of vintage scopes and get started into the addiction (oops I mean appreciation and collection) of these great old gems.

Now I will give everyone a heads up...... I might be selling some of my scopes in Oct-Dec as a very special pearl might be rolling in....:drool5:

No more details until then as there is a sensitive issue associated with it - sorry!

#37 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

• Vendors

Posted 27 June 2007 - 12:23 PM

So Preston,

Which low hanging fruit in your sigline is going to be available when you acquire your new "pearl"....? :poke:

Regards and clear skies,

MikeG

#38 Preston Smith

Preston Smith

The Travel Scope Guy

Posted 27 June 2007 - 01:04 PM

So Preston,

Which low hanging fruit in your sigline is going to be available when you acquire your new "pearl"....? :poke:

Regards and clear skies,

MikeG

It all depends how much money I can raise by then.... :poke:

Nice try. :lol:

Well here's the possibilites:

Probably one of the Tascos and one of the Edmund Voyagers. The Mayflower will ONLY be a last resort. The Stellarvue Kit scope could be sold if the buyer was going to use it expressly for kids/schools/star watches. The unwritten rule is that the scope should not be sold publicly (i.e. Ebay and Astromart)and I want to honor Vic Maris' request. Since I now have the Night Hawk II for the military families I really don't need both 80mm scopes.

I may have some modified scopes similar to the MONOBORG by then as well.

Maybe some parts.

I'm still in buying mode for any good deal on a vintage scope. So a 50mm scope with a very good objective is still in my sights at this time.

For the Record: The SV4, SV66 and SV Night Hawk II will NOT be for sale. They are keepers! :grin:

#39 twhite

twhite

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 27 June 2007 - 04:18 PM

I have a stepson living in Yamaguchi City. He keeps an eye on Yahoo Japan Auctions for me. I have him looking for a 3-4" Takahashi for me. Lord knows I will never afford one over here. I told him that cosmetics means nothing, as long as the glass is good. I have a good feeling that your's truly is going to own a Tak or Vixen APO before the year is up. :)

Regards,

MikeG

PS - I hope you get a Nikon Tony, we are all pulling for you.!

Wish I had known -- that Nikon Galakuma pointed out was on Yahoo Japan auctions... and it was COMPLETE.

/sigh

#40 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

Posted 27 June 2007 - 05:48 PM

Preston....Low hanging fruit? Some probably wouldn't mind rotting stuff on the ground! :grin: :grin:Mike

#41 Rick

Rick

Gemini

Posted 27 June 2007 - 06:08 PM

Tony,

I just saw this. The guy selling this on Astromart was a bidder on that Nikon on Yahoo Japan. HE DID NOT YET OWN THE SCOPE HE WAS OFFERING! That is why you get the run around about him being busy and can't let you see or close a deal right away and having to wait. I am very familiar with this guy as he buys and sells under at least 2 different names on Yahoo Japan. Actually the Yahoo Japan telescope market is full of such scammers.

If you want either the 4" or 3" Nikon ED, let me know as they are available fairly regularly here.

clear skies,
Rick

#42 twhite

twhite

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 28 June 2007 - 01:16 AM

Hmmm. Interesting. You sure about that?

Thanks for passing that tidbit along... and I will contact you privately later.

Tony

#43 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

• Vendors

Posted 28 June 2007 - 06:23 AM

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the heads-up. :waytogo:

If our scammer friend from Japan has not been reported to Herb at AM yet, he should be. Trying to sell a scope you do not own is fraud.

Regards and clear skies,

MikeG

#44 Barry Kawa

Barry Kawa

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 28 June 2007 - 07:18 AM

Michael,
Guy doesn't seem all bad, I contacted him since I was interested in possibly trading one of my Questars, and he told him he could get another one off Yahoo.Japan if I was interested. I didn't see a big problem with what he is doing, it is one way for people in the States to get a Nikon 100ED through him, if they don't read Japanese.
Another place to keep an eye out for old Nikon refractors is http://www.sensaiichiba.com/cat/ It's a used telescope shop that mostly sells through the Net and the guy updates the site each day. He understands a little English and has sold some eyepieces to buyers in the States, although shipping to the States might be more than he wants to handle.
There is one used telescope store in Tokyo named Teleto that is unfortunately closing soon, but that has had many Nikon and Takahashi refractors there over the years. When we first moved to Japan about six years ago, I could go in there and often find mint Tak FC-50s for about $400 and Pentax SMCs for about $100 U.S. The last scope I bought there 6 months ago was a Tak FC-100 for about $600 U.S., although the tube wasn't in great shape. You can find some great buys like that even in the new shops here, if you are willing to hit them often and see what they have on their used item shelves or tables.
I've bought a Vixen ED 130 new in the box for about $900 U.S. from the Borg store in Shinjuku a few years ago, and recently at camera stores in Tokyo have bought a new pair of Nikon 10X42 SEs for about $250 U.S. and a pair of Canon IS 18X50s for about $650 U.S.
But a lot of it is luck and being in there when they get something in.
----
Barry Kawa
Yokohama, Japan

Vixen VMC 200
Takahashi FC-100
Questar Astro
Questar Duplex

#45 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 28 June 2007 - 07:59 AM

trading one of my Questars

You have...more than one? :bow:

Keith

#46 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 28 June 2007 - 08:09 AM

Hi Everyone,

If you go to Google, click on the Language Tools, you can enter the Japanese webpage you wish to translate in the appropriate box, select Japanese to English, and get a translation. Its a BETA program, so their are some issues, but you'll still get a workable text.

Keith

#47 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

• Vendors

Posted 28 June 2007 - 08:30 AM

Hi Barry!

Glad to see you walk in the door.

Well, if the guy is not actively ripping people off, then I suppose I can see it another way. I just know that if I attempted to sell a telescope I do not own yet here on CN or eBay, that would constitute fraud and my membership priviledges could be terminated. I don't know how Herb views that kind of thing, but it's his house, so he can set the rules and enforce them. I won't rat out the guy in Japan out for trying to make a buck, but it's good to know now that not everything for sale on AM is actually for sale - some of it is wishful thinking by profit-minded sellers. It's no secret that I "flip" scopes and gear to fund my own personal gear addiction, but I would never attempt to sell something I did not have in my possession. It's too risky from a seller's standpoint. It amounts to counting one's chickens before they are hatched. What if that Nikon had arrived at the "sellers" house in Tokyo with a scratch on the objective that the Yahoo Japan seller did not disclose? Would he suddenly disclose that to his own buyer and reduce the price? There's a lot of grey area there. FWIW, what he is doing is *illegal* under US law.

But, like I said, if nobody is getting actively ripped off, then who am I to make an issue of it? I'll just remember that guy's AM handle, so when I win the Powerball Lottery one day and I want to buy a Nikon scope, I'll know my seller actually has it and is not playing a profit game that may or may not end up with the scope being delivered as promised.

:shrug:

If I want to spend substantial cash on a scope in Japan, I'll email Rick, Barry, or my stepson - they can be trusted.

Regards and clear skies,

MikeG

#48 Barry Kawa

Barry Kawa

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 28 June 2007 - 09:26 AM

Hello, Mike!
Yeh, I should e-mail the guy and tell him what he is doing is questionable, he seemed like a naive guy and probably doesn't know it. He had some good feedback on Astromart, but his English isn't the greatest.
I think it has been great what Rick has done, sold a lot of scopes to U.S. buyers from here that they would not have otherwise had a chance at. It would be good if this guy could also offer scopes for sale from the western side of Japan where he's from, but I'm going to tell him he better have them in hand from now on, or the Cloudy Nights Police (think Jack Bauer and Tony Almeda on ''24,'' the Japanese love that show) will be after him!
An interesting thing about the Nikon 100ED, I looked back in the old Temmon Guide ads in the early 1990s, and the stores were really pushing the Nikon against the Takahashi FC-100N (F-10 planetary version) and the Vixen flourite 102 in the same ads, with pictures and specifications of each in a chart.
If I remember correctly, the Tak was the most expensive at that time, followed by the Nikon and the Vixen, but they were recommending a much more expensive and heavier mount for the Nikon.
Still, those Nikon 100EDs are out there around Japan. I live by a scope collector here who has one, and he offered to test his out against what I had at the time, a Vixen 130ED, a Vixen 4-inch F-15 achromat and a Borg 100ED. I told him no way, otherwise, I would have to buy his Nikon 100ED!
------
Barry Kawa
Yokohama, Japan

Vixen VMC 200
Takahashi FC-100
Questar Astro
Questar Duplex

#49 ukcanuck

ukcanuck

Vendor (Skylight Telescopes)

• Vendors

Posted 28 June 2007 - 04:44 PM

Hi Rick!
In someways, Craigslist is safer than Ebay, being a local classified ad. One usually goes to see the article and exchange monies in person, rather than sending money into the ether.
That second convenient scope does send up a flag, doesnt it?
Welcome to Cloudy nights! Best of luck on your Cook, and we would love pics and report when you get her!

Thanks for the welcome...I'm unfamiliar with Craigslist, but it sounds quite civilized! The ether can be pretty daunting.

Will let you know how/if the Cooke turns out. Cross your fingers for me!

:thanx:

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics