•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Dobbins (who?) mount on ebay

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 Littlegreenman

Littlegreenman

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 22 June 2007 - 03:40 AM

"Mark III German Equatorial Mount by Dobbins Instrument Co. made in 1985"

I don't know how to do the tunyurl thing. The number is: 250134915884

I got into Astronomy reading magazines about 1994, and bought my first scope about 1996. But Dobbins is an unfamiliar name to me. Looks like a serious effort!

Littlegreenman

#2 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors

Posted 22 June 2007 - 06:43 AM

Linky :

http://cgi.ebay.com/...em=250134915884

That IS a nice looking mount. If I wasn't already running late for work, I would Google the name.

Bless the 'Bay and it's daily strange offerings...!

#3 Pat P

Pat P

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 22 June 2007 - 06:53 AM

I have and use one of these with my 5"f15 D&G. Tom Dobbins was the builder. He is a major force in the Planetary society and has written articles in many books and Mags. He built and sold refractors way back when. This is a nice older style mount, nice machining, simple mechanism, bronze bushings on the axes, ball bearings on the worms. All stainless and heavy aluminum. Big cradle for longer telescopes like mine. If you have some tinkering ability or have a good machine shop, you should be able to keep it going fo life. I wouldn't call it an imaging mount, though I could be wrong, but I think you would need some drive work for that. It might have the gears for it though. Hope this helps. You could probably contact Tom directly about what went into these. Hope this helps, Pat

#4 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 22 June 2007 - 08:01 AM

Tom Dobbins is still around, but is no longer involved in manufacturing telescopes. I believe Tom Back worked for Dobbins near the beginning of his career. Dobbins, Tom Parker and Charles Capan authored an excellent book 'Introduction to Observing and Photographing the Solar System', which I highly recommend if you can find it.

Keith

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics