•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Prices on 60mm Garage Sale Telescopes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 sarastro

sarastro

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 June 2007 - 03:51 PM

I'm trying to get an idea of what are reasonable prices for vintage 60mm telescopes. Take for example a 60mm, circle T on an equatorial mount, objective needs cleaning, some scratches on tube, missing a few parts here and there, and a slightly battered wood case. For $20 it still might be a good deal. What would be the maximum price you would pay for something like this? What are you paying for your scopes?
Any imput would be helpful in my search for some classic scopes.
Thanks
Roger

#2 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 22 June 2007 - 06:11 PM

A scope with missing pieces and battered case would be scope used for modification or parts. $20 sounds good. Complete kits with instructions for Sears 2.4" f15 scopes...$100 (although a nice one is sale pending on Amart for $140 plus shipping), for Tascos like the 7TE...$200, for really rare stuff like Goto Hy Scores from US distributor SE Laslo in the $400 range, and really really rare stuff like Nippon Kogaku and Goto Kogaku from the Japanese retail market in the $700 or more range.

Keith

#3 clintwhitman

clintwhitman

Caveman

Posted 22 June 2007 - 08:21 PM

Really what he met to say was the price of a classic anything is what some guy will pay for it. Or what another guy will take for it. To me it is all about its shape and size and what it is! Some scopes you might run across are very rare and could be worth a fortune! I got a 5CM 1956 Nikon A guy in Japan want it so bad he offered $2300 and he would pay the shipping. Nikon in japan has one on display I inquired about it, They said there were less than 20 of these ever made because they would not sell. Some might be common but because there in mint condition that makes them very rare. You mentioned 60mm Tascos I just found one from 1966 in the OG box A guy got for his daughter who is now 50 it is mint all the paper work is still in the envelope with the receipt moon and univers fold out maps from Tasco, manuel Also the book worlds beyond and a finder wheel with a compass built in, all are on the receipt. I paid the guy $28 bucks (E-bay) and picked up the scope. I can get $25 for the book worlds beyond. the scope to me is worth alot because I have never seen one so complete and perfect. So the funnest part of collecting anything is the suprize of opening the box and saying either shoot theres mold on it or Wow I have never seen one this nice before!!!!

#4 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors

Posted 22 June 2007 - 08:28 PM

So the funnest part of collecting anything is the suprize of opening the box and saying either shoot theres mold on it or Wow I have never seen one this nice before!!!!

Yup! The great Most Emphatically NOT Haggis-shoot!

You either roll snake eyes and get poor glass, or you luck out and score big.

Part of the fun is the hunt!

#5 twhite

twhite

Vanguard

Posted 22 June 2007 - 10:16 PM

So... Clint... if I score this 100mm Nikon, will you sell me the 50mm to be its guidescope? Huh? Willya? :jump: :jump: :jump:

#6 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 22 June 2007 - 10:42 PM

>>>For $20 it still might be a good deal. What would be the maximum price you would pay for something like this? What are you paying for your scopes?
====

As someone else said, "what some guy will pay"/"what some guy will take."

I am not a big fan of 60mm scopes, prefer the 80mm and larger and I look for a deal.

Some recent acquisitions:

80mm F/11 Celestron/Vixen First scope $50
Meade 310 $50
Criterion RV-5+ $65
Sears 6333 $20

THe problem: Some good deals but then, what do I do with all these scopes?? Last count I had like 25???

jon

#7 clintwhitman

clintwhitman

Caveman

Posted 23 June 2007 - 01:11 AM

Be a Miser and hord them! But only keep the 1969 and before!!
The Kogaku is like 20 or 30 years the 100mm senor and was made by the creator and CEO of nikon in a 1200 sf factory so it cant be the guide scope it to old and bizare plus it is a brass tube and is like 7 lbs I tryed it out on the unitron it was top heavy

#8 alvin58

alvin58

Vostok 1

Posted 23 June 2007 - 10:14 AM

Keith,
I am the one who is awaiting the Sears 2.4' from AMart. I have been looking for a few months and happened to spot the ad when it had 4 or 5 hits. So... I went for it. Will let the Forum know when it arrives and first light. I felt that the price and stated condition were fair. Allen

#9 twhite

twhite

Vanguard

Posted 23 June 2007 - 10:48 AM

Clint,

Check out this link

http://www.cameragui...an/postwar.html

There a photo of a 50mm Nikon scope -- probably same as yours.

Tony

#10 clintwhitman

clintwhitman

Caveman

Posted 23 June 2007 - 10:56 AM

Thats would be a good twin picture, Tony that one is one of three I have seen two on trhe web and the one in the cave!

#11 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 23 June 2007 - 03:41 PM

Look Clint, there's a cat next to that one too!

Keith

#12 Vesper818

Vesper818

Astronomess

Posted 23 June 2007 - 04:02 PM

Clint could you post close up pics of that 5cm Nikon???? Is the ring semi-permanently mounted to the tube, where you have to take off the dewshield to get it off? the photos on this sight of the EQ and scope are so similar to the Micronta 50mm... has me wondering....

Attached Thumbnails

• 1679156-DSCN0133.jpg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics