•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Classic scope ad scans are finally coming!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 23 June 2007 - 07:20 PM

Ok, as everyone knows, I promised some scans of old ads from Sky and Telescope magazines from the 1950's and 1960's. I also scored some "Review of Popular Astronomy" magazines from the same period. I finally made the scans and I am in the process of making more.

Of interest :

An article by Tom Cave about the evolution of the small refractor in America - short but excellent article with photos of Clarke, Mogey, and other American classic scopes.

Ads from Vega, Tinsley, Fecker, Unitron, Cave, and more.

I planned on posting some of these, especially those from companies that no longer exist (no copyright issues with those), but I cannot PhotoShop them sufficiently to meet the CN image posting limits. When I did, they lost too much image quality to make the text readable. So I have saved them in large format low-compression JPGs which I can ZIP up and send to those interested. Reply to this thread if you want some and let me know which companies you are interested in.

I tried to avoid the ever present and very common ads for Edmund, Criterion, Questar and others who advertised profusely over the decades. I instead concentrated on the oddballs, "premium" or "high end", and other companies that are not considered well-known outside the collector community.

Regards and clear classic skies,

MikeG

#2 Vesper818

Vesper818

Astronomess

Posted 23 June 2007 - 07:39 PM

Thanks for this great service, Mike... I would like to see the article on small refractors and any Tinsley ads... Thanks
Carol

#3 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 23 June 2007 - 08:00 PM

HI everyone,

I didn't think about this in advance (a classic trait of mine!) .....but it might not be a good idea to post one's email address in the open forums where search engines can find it. That is an invitation to spam. So I would ask that anyone interested to send me their email address via PM. Of course, I am a black hole with email addresses. I do not share them, I do not save them, and most times I forget them.

Regards and clear skies,

MikeG

#4 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 23 June 2007 - 08:04 PM

Carol,

Check your email inbox. I just sent you something.

Regards and clear skies,

MikeG

#5 Dan /schechter

Dan /schechter

Apollo

Posted 23 June 2007 - 09:14 PM

Mike, Can you post the adds on your website and we can view them there? Dan

#6 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 23 June 2007 - 09:21 PM

Hi Dan,

Unfortunately I am on a "freebie" webspace provided by my ISP, and I have very limited bandwidth. (In fact, I block Google from indexing my site)

The ads, when zipped, are about 250k each. The entire kit and kaboodle of my recent scans is about 3.3 megs. It's not very dialup friendly I am afraid.

Regards and clear skies,

MikeG

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics