•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Score one for the Home Team

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 23 June 2007 - 08:57 PM

I think I got a good deal on this one if everything is in excellent condition as described.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...em=280126000241

50mm f/12 Pentax achromat. :yay:

A definite keeper I think.

Does anyone in here have any experience with a Pentax like this?

Carol (Sidrea) said she has a Jupiter clone of this scope that is very good.

Regards and clear skies,

MikeG

#2 twhite

twhite

Vanguard

Posted 23 June 2007 - 09:00 PM

Well, if it's anything like the 50mm scope that's a guidescope on my 102mm Pentax, it's good.

I do have a set of 5 of those eyepieces -- again, good. The Ortho in the set isn't as good as the later Pentax SMC-Orthos, but that's to be expected.

That ought to be a pretty good little scope, Mike. Let us know how it turns out...

#3 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 23 June 2007 - 09:08 PM

Well, I look at it this way - how many times can one buy a achromat with the name "Pentax" on it for $50.00...??

I'll keep it just to have a little "astro swag" in my collection. ;)

It's an f/12 at 50mm and 600mm f/l - it should be virtually free of false color. I may piggyback it on my 4" achro. My SP mount can certainly handle it.

Tony, you said the eyepieces that come with it are pretty decent? How would they compare against "vintage" UO orthos or Celestron/Vixen orthos?

Regards and clear skies,

MikeG

PS - I may have to sell off my little Tasco to make room to keep it. But, as much as I have grown to like the little Tasco, it doesn't say ASAHI PENTAX on it. ;)

#4 BHunt

BHunt

Apollo

Posted 23 June 2007 - 09:20 PM

great deal Mike the eyepieces was worth that. Also the SP knobs arrived safely yesterday and the one I was missing was an exact match. I am very happy!
Thanks
Bill

#5 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 23 June 2007 - 09:23 PM

Hi Bill,

I'm glad you got the knobs and found them useful. One is definitely a Vixen knob and the other looks like a modified Synta knob....I think.

I only see one eyepiece in the Pentax auction, but I might assume it comes with two, as most scopes did.

Regards and clear skies,

MikeG

#6 BHunt

BHunt

Apollo

Posted 23 June 2007 - 10:09 PM

Mike,
When I emailed her last week she told me that it also included a sun lense. I asked if it was a filter. She said it was an eyepiece in a smaller box.
The one vixen knob was the one I needed. It was an exact match to the other one on the scope. Thanks again.
Bill

#7 Vesper818

Vesper818

Astronomess

Posted 23 June 2007 - 10:14 PM

This is a really fun scope, Mike. The altaz yoke balances perfectly, and every thing about it would make the perfect "first scope" for a really interested kid. Nothing about it will disapoint you!
Not only is is small enough to display on your desk, you can carry it out, pop it on the patio table and be viewing in 15 seconds.
The last week, I've been using the Jupiter and a pair of binoculars exclusively for easy relaxing views after long work days.
You got almost as good a deal as I did...LOL
mine was 10.00, but it didn't come with any eyepeices...

#8 Vesper818

Vesper818

Astronomess

Posted 23 June 2007 - 10:25 PM

Ohhh...
I didn't remember that someone had mentioned the Pentax/Jupiter connection before--- Jupiter

#9 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 23 June 2007 - 11:33 PM

I can't wait to try it out. I have a small GEM mount waiting for it. The GEM rig is very small (a light EQ-1) and lightweight, so I can grab the entire setup with one hand and trot out the door with it. Or I may piggyback it on my 100mm achro. Or I may use it as is. Either way, I plan to have fun with it. Right now this will make 6 scopes I have. I have to make some room, so the little Tasco 60/700 I recently acquired will probably go on the block if anyone is interested.

Regards and clear skies,

MikeG

PS - Carol, your Jupiter looks identical to this Pentax in every way. Perhaps the difference was the accessories? Have you star tested the optics? And if so, how did it look?

#10 Vesper818

Vesper818

Astronomess

Posted 24 June 2007 - 12:40 AM

Black background, super sharp detail but I have yet to run it through a real star test...
Tomorrow night I'll get out the Micronta and do a 50mm shootoff...The Jupiter is an F12 and the Micronta is an F10...And I want to try both of them with the eyepieces that came with the Micronta, as they blew me away.
Not gettin' out tonight....
At least there's a good Bonepony concert on PBS...

#11 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 25 June 2007 - 04:10 PM

I'll ask this here, rather than hijack Carol's other thread about her Micronta mishap.

Carol, you had mentioned how the drawtube on the Pentax/Jupiter is too small to accept a .965" ep directly. I am a little unclear on a couple of fine points, so please bear with me and my density. ;)

The Pentax/Jupiter diagonal - does it accept standard .965" eyepieces, or does it only take the eyepieces that come with it?

Does the drawtube of the Pentax/Jupiter have an internal barlow element like some of the "vari power" refractors we see like Preston's Monolux? Or is it just a straight drawtube?

Thanks for allowing me to pepper you with questions!

Regards,

MikeG

#12 Vesper818

Vesper818

Astronomess

Posted 26 June 2007 - 02:02 AM

Hi Mike
The drawtube itself is screwed into the diagonal and is .965 OD, So the diagonal prism is integral and just stays on the scope. Mine came with no box or accessories, and I doubt the original came with anything other than a couple of eyepieces and maybe filters. No way to attach anything else. But then if this was sold as a fine,simple fool-proof beginner scope, it was very well thought out.

I would be interested to hear the performance of the eyepieces you got with this. Most all the other .965 eyepieces, even the ones I got with the Swift839 60mm, have been mediocre performers at best..The exception to that is the 6mm, 12mm and 23 mm, all Huygens that came with the Mictronta. Hands down the sharpest eyepieces I have of any size.
Do try this little scope with a Baader solar filmfilter for your own PST.. Fun time on a hot evening , hanging out on the picnic table after the bbq with rootbeer floats and checking for sunspots!

#13 Vesper818

Vesper818

Astronomess

Posted 30 June 2007 - 03:25 PM

Didja gittit?

#14 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 30 June 2007 - 05:44 PM

Not yet. But coincidentally enough, I heard from the seller today. He said it shipped out this morning via Priority mail. Should be here monday or tuesday. :)

(fingers crossed!)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics