•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

50mm refractor for Preston

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Vesper818

Vesper818

Astronomess

• topic starter

Posted 25 June 2007 - 01:39 PM

http://www.astromart...ified_id=506023

:question:

#2 Preston Smith

Preston Smith

The Travel Scope Guy

Posted 25 June 2007 - 01:58 PM

Thanks for keeping an eye out for me!

I was thinking something more from the 20th century.... :grin:

#3 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors

Posted 25 June 2007 - 02:04 PM

Hi Preston,

I didn't realize you were so keenly interested in 50mm refractors....well I knew, but I didn't know how badly you wanted one. I really appreciate you tipping your hat to me on the Asahi Pentax. It puts that in full perspective considering how much you must have wanted it as well..! I do appreciate it, a true gentlemen's move and I owe you one.

FWIW, I flip a lot of scopes and accessories for a small profit, not unlike the Avon lady hocking makeup to pay for her own supplies (my wife came up with that unflattering analogy!) .... but some things I buy become a permanent part of my collection. I bought this Pentax with that intent in mind. Unless something unwordly and unforseen happens, it will likely remain in my limited arsenal for a long time to come. But, should I ever for any reason decide to sell it (again, don't hold your breath any time soon), you'll have first dibs. Honestly though, this little scope has me more excited than any of my other purchases in recent memory. I really admire premium-grade classic Japanese glass, and this is the closest I have come to owning some I think. :)

(Nagler in my eyepiece excluded!)

Regards and clear skies,

MikeG

PS - I'll keep an eye out as well for a nice 50mm achro.!

#4 Preston Smith

Preston Smith

The Travel Scope Guy

Posted 25 June 2007 - 02:29 PM

Hey, so many scopes, so little time! :lol:

As most or you know I wrote the CN article on the Stellarvue F50 Finder scope (a.k.a. Sparrow Hawk).

If you didn't... well now you know!

http://www.cloudynig...hp?item_id=1324

I was amazed at what I could see with a fast (F4) 50mm refractor. What I would like to do as a future review is take the Sparrow Hawk and tandem mount it with an F10-F12 50mm scope that has an outstanding objective (because the Sparrow Hawk also has an outstanding objective). Then I could evaluate the total capabilites of a 50mm scope at one shot. It will be fun whenever that happens. But with me heading off to Texas next week I probably won't get to this until late Oct-Nov if I can find a longer 50mm scope by then.

I'm wrapping up the Edmund Scientific Voyager article right now so that is the next thing that will go to press!

Of course, if Clint wants to loan me his 50mm Nikon for about 5 years that would be great too! :drool5::rofl2:

#5 clintwhitman

clintwhitman

Caveman

Posted 25 June 2007 - 08:18 PM

Harald sold it

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics