•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

"Astronomy and the Telescope" book by Sears/Scope

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 26 June 2007 - 09:10 AM

Does anyone recall a book from the 1960's called "Astronomy and the Telescope"...? by Marvin Riemer. It was printed in Japan for "Scope" aka Sears & Roebuck. It has no ISDN number, and as near as I can tell was never sold in stores. I think this was a mailorder-only item from either the Sears Catalog or from the literature that came with "Scope" branded telescopes.

At any rate, I found one on eBay. I was surprised when it showed up yesterday. It's a nice size hardback book (not a thick pamphlet like Tasco's "Worlds Beyond") and it is quite informative.......and interesting in a quaint way. Much of the information is dated of course, but it's well written and filled with information useful to the beginner-intermediate level stargazer. I was hoping it would have some ads for Scope/Sears telescopes in it somewhere, but it doesn't. That figures - the ONE time you actually WANT some ads and you don't get them!

Regards and clear skies,

MikeG

#2 L. Regira

L. Regira

Ranger 4

Posted 26 June 2007 - 09:57 AM

If it is the book I remember it had a photo of the crab nebula on the cover and a way to remember the star classifications WOBAFGKMRNS (Wow!Oh Boy! A Fine Girl! Kiss Me Right Now Sweetie!) If that is the book I really enjoyed it back in the day. I had two of them and as I recall they both disintegrated over time due to poor binding. I recall they were softcover however. As far as ads, did you try to get Sears Wish books from the era? I bid on one or two in the past but it went beyond what I was willing to pay.

Lawrence

#3 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 26 June 2007 - 10:02 AM

Hi Lawrence,

This one only has the title in block print on the cover. The dustjacket is missing, so it may or may not have had a photo on it.

I wish I had hoarded my parent's old Sears catalogs as a kid. They are worth a fortune now. They fetch silly prices on eBay. You know how many of these are laying around rotting in basements and attics? I had thought about putting a "Wanted - Your old Sears catalogs" type of ad in the Cajun Trader (or one of the other local papers) - heck, I might get some calls from folks who don't know what they are worth and just want to clear out junk.

Regards and clear skies,

MikeG

#4 Vesper818

Vesper818

Astronomess

Posted 26 June 2007 - 10:38 AM

I gave it away, complete with the mint "Scope" 60mm setup , to a fellow church member... I don't know if he read the book, but he reports enjoying the scope...

#5 L. Regira

L. Regira

Ranger 4

Posted 27 June 2007 - 06:46 AM

Here is the book I am talking about. I don't know if it is the same as yours. Lawrence
http://www.antiqbook...wo/050747.shtml

I just ordered one through Amazon for $3.00 and a trip down memory lane.

#6 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 27 June 2007 - 07:20 AM

Yup, that's it, except mine is missing the dustjacket. :)

#7 Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 28 June 2007 - 08:39 PM

I have this book also. It came with the basically unused 60's Sears 46305-A that I bought recently, although mine is a paperback.

#8 fxxm747

fxxm747

Viking 1

Posted 30 June 2007 - 01:47 AM

When I was a kid the main staple for the outhouse was the sears catalog........really true! :lol: OK, maybe thats a bit graphic. I believe I have this little "book" in one of my scope cases. I'll have to look through them and see now.

#9 L. Regira

L. Regira

Ranger 4

Posted 03 July 2007 - 09:11 PM

It appears that Marvin F. Riemer died at age 84 last month. http://query.nytimes...755C0A9619C8B63
I got the book today and even though it has been probably 35 years since I last read it I still remembered most of it as I perused it again today. Now if I could only remember what I ate for breakfast and lunch.

Lawrence

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics