•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade 320 on AMart

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 twhite

twhite

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 26 June 2007 - 09:19 PM

Meade 320

Isn't that a Mizar mount?

#2 Jae

Jae

Apollo

Posted 26 June 2007 - 09:24 PM

Yes....nice. But didn't we have a recent discussion that the lens on the Towa was better than this one ?

#3 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors

Posted 26 June 2007 - 09:36 PM

It looks like a Mizar.

Mizar stuff was pretty good from what I read....no experience with it personally.

Regards,

MikeG

#4 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 27 June 2007 - 11:25 AM

Yes....nice. But didn't we have a recent discussion that the lens on the Towa was better than this one ?

I think this is the same exact scope we were discussing...

Jon

#5 EJN

EJN

Skylab

Posted 27 June 2007 - 11:36 AM

See:
This thread

I have an identical OTA w/o mount.

#6 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 27 June 2007 - 11:50 AM

See:
This thread

I have an identical OTA w/o mount.

Thanks for the link. I am quite sure the scope being sold is the one we discussed previously. The sellers name is Will Day, the poster here was Will and there was a similar discussion at the same time on the AM forums by Will Day...

I would be interested in knowing if he gets the $300...

Jon

#7 Will

Will

Messenger

Posted 28 June 2007 - 12:44 PM

Yes this is the same one. I intended to keep it but now need to replace my everyday GEM (CG-5) and do not wish to add the cost of a divorce to the price. I've had a few nibbles. Wish me luck...

#8 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 28 June 2007 - 07:33 PM

Yes this is the same one. I intended to keep it but now need to replace my everyday GEM (CG-5) and do not wish to add the cost of a divorce to the price. I've had a few nibbles. Wish me luck...

So whats the story with the GEM???

My EQ-3 controller died earlier this year and I was not looking forward to spending the $100+ to buy a new one. Last night I mentioned it to a house guest who retired a while back after 30 years of working on an electronics bench. He finished taking it apart, found some corrosion on the circuit board that had damaged a connection. He clean it up, jumpered the bad spot and it's all up and running...

jon

#9 Will

Will

Messenger

Posted 28 June 2007 - 08:41 PM

Durng the last moonless weekend I took great care in prepping for some long(ish) exposures with the 8" Newt. I'm now positive that an older CG-5 is not up to the task no matter what I do. So I suppose if I'm honest I 'want' to replace it. It's to do with M51 and this obsession...
You'll no doubt recall how excited I was with the 320, it's great fun but there is a limit to what I can bring through the front door. Frankly I'm feeling a little sheepish about selling it & I may have too much in it, live and learn.

#10 93alien

93alien

Messenger

Posted 28 June 2007 - 09:39 PM

i need a cg5 ;) :jump:

#11 Will

Will

Messenger

Posted 28 June 2007 - 10:03 PM

When I sell, this one it will not be expensive. It's not pretty but it tracks ok for what it is. I just can't get beyond about 30 to 40 seconds. I think it's an older one but it's got ball bearings for the RA.

I don't know what to get, an Atlas is just out of reach I think. (See last line of your sig)

#12 93alien

93alien

Messenger

Posted 29 June 2007 - 01:23 PM

pm sent

#13 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 29 June 2007 - 05:31 PM

>>>Durng the last moonless weekend I took great care in prepping for some long(ish) exposures with the 8" Newt. I'm now positive that an older CG-5 is not up to the task no matter what I do. So I suppose if I'm honest I 'want' to replace it.
---

Is it the tracking or the stability of the mount?? I had one of the full ball/roller bearing CG-5's with an 8 inch F/5 Newt. The standard extruded aluminum tripod is a loser. A solid tripod will help in the vibration department.

I replaced that CG-5 with a CG-5 ASGT, those 2 inch SS legs are great... Not sure though if the mount is upto an 8 inch F/5 for astrophotography.

Jon

#14 Will

Will

Messenger

Posted 29 June 2007 - 09:33 PM

First let me say I didn't intend to shift this thread. I just wanted to let everyone know it was the same scope. This is a "classics" forum and I value the advice I've gotten here, sorry to continue off topic.

It seems to track well with a careful drift alignment. Generally I think its a tad light for the tube and I'd like to be able to accurately correct for any PE etc so something more stable and sophisticated is in order.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics