•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Smart move?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 RogerRZ

RogerRZ

Whatta you lookin' at?

• topic starter

Posted 28 June 2007 - 11:09 AM

Hey all, it looks like I'll be setting myself up with a '71 or '72 vintage Cave Super Custom Deluxe 10", f/6, traded straight-up on my C11 OTA.

Good deal, or not?

From the sound of things, the Cave is in pretty good shape...

#2 NHRob

NHRob

Cosmos

Posted 28 June 2007 - 02:43 PM

I would go for it. It depends more on if you're a newt guy or not. A vintage cave newt would be an awesome classic!

Rob

#3 Clive Gibbons

Clive Gibbons

Mostly Harmless

Posted 28 June 2007 - 02:52 PM

Hi Roger.

If you enjoy the appeal of a vintage Cave Newtonian, it's a nice move.
If you more greatly value compactness and portability, the C-11 would have the edge.
Hopefully, both parties in the transaction will come away well pleased. :ubetcha:

#4 Jim Rosenstock

Jim Rosenstock

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 28 June 2007 - 03:13 PM

I don't think you'll find anybody on THIS forum to tell this is not a good, good, GOOD deal!

Clive's advice is right on target, of course....but I'm assuming you're not naively expecting this one to be your "grab'n'go"! :grin:

I'd say go for it.

And post photos!!

Jim

#5 clintwhitman

clintwhitman

Caveman

Posted 28 June 2007 - 03:36 PM

I dont know i have been thinkin of trading my 10" 1965 F8 in on a C-11 except im am keeping the bronze circles!!!!!

#6 RogerRZ

RogerRZ

Whatta you lookin' at?

• topic starter

Posted 28 June 2007 - 06:07 PM

I find the big Caves to have great appeal. They are right up there with big D&G refractors.

I realise it won't be portable (I whiz around in a VW Beetle), but I think it will fit quite nicely in my observatory, with it's 21.5 mag/arc sec skies...

I'll use my Super Polaris mounted SN-6 as my travel rig.

It was on the 'Mart,, and it happens to be located a couple of hundred miles from me, so we're going to meet in the middle for the trade (I'll be borrowing my Mom's CR-V).

The gentleman had to navigate a couple flights of stairs to use it, hence the reason it had been stowed away for the past three years(!). I figured that a vintage Cave like that deserved to spend its oler years in a proper setting, an observatory...

I can't wait to get it.

#7 Rcade

Rcade

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 28 June 2007 - 07:16 PM

Drrrooooooooooollll.. Sorry

Sound like a greatr deal to me, especially since you have an observatory. :waytogo:

The older Cave optics are top notch and with the smaller secondary of the slower Cave I don't think you will miss the loss of an inch of aperture. Pictures please when you get it in the observatory.

#8 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 28 June 2007 - 08:11 PM

Well, the C-11 is functionally more versatile...being a Schmidt Cassegrain and a Celestron to boot, you could use it as a spittoon, flowerpot or garbage can as well as a scope and not draw any second glances. Try that with the Cave and see what happens... :throwveg:

Keith ( :lol: )

#9 Bonco

Bonco

Skylab

Posted 28 June 2007 - 08:20 PM

Roger,
Congrats. Not many around it could be my old scope as its changed hands a few times since I sold it. Let us know more about it and where it came from. Sure miss the one I sold. If it has a weld seam on one of the tube end rings...then it was mine... :)
Bonco

#10 RogerRZ

RogerRZ

Whatta you lookin' at?

• topic starter

Posted 28 June 2007 - 08:33 PM

From what I could gather, the gentleman, a native of the UK, acquired the scope when he was on the West coast, before moving out to Prince Edward Island.

The more I think about it, the more restless I get. Saturday won't come quick enough.

Now to take out the concrete pier in my observatory. Any suggestions? I have a 80hp farm tractor, but I'm afraid to tear everything else apart, too...

#11 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

Posted 28 June 2007 - 09:13 PM

Roger...If it were me and I assume you are going to permanently mount the Astrola mount!?!? I would rent a gas powered concrete saw with about a 14" diamond blade and cut the pier down if it's concrete or acetylene if it's steel. Get it to a workable level then build around it with a new pier of your choice and mount the new beast! Any other route and your asking for more! :grin: :grin: ;)Mike

#12 BHunt

BHunt

Apollo

Posted 28 June 2007 - 10:11 PM

Get a local welder with a rig and let him cut it flush or to your new height. Shouldnt cost that much. Less than the damage you could cause with a tractor.
Bill

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics