•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Classic Nikon 80mm f15 has arrived

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 Steve_M_M

Steve_M_M

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 28 June 2007 - 10:07 PM

The Fedex guy was kind enough to deliver a beautiful 80mm f15 Nikon telescope today.

It is going to need some restoration-Tripod refinishing, tube chips, mount disassembly and regrease, and polishing all metal parts.

BUT, the lens looks great! This scope is from 1977 and the coating technology is amazing. When you look into the OG, you see nothing but a faint outline of your head. No reflection.

The finder is a work of art with 3 baffles! Even it appears to have some kind of very nice coating. The focuser is smooth and has an etched micrometer for astrophotography. The mount CW's are threaded and the shaft is a ridiculous 18mm diameter.

I have added a couple of pictures. Note the 4" f15 next to the Nikon. They are similar in size. The mount for the 4" is a Vixen Super Polaris and this Nikon dwarfs it. But, this mount is not adjustable for latitude. Basically, you are limited to 33-37 degrees for astrophotography. Visual should be fine anywhere with minor dec adjustments. Of course, I will never find an RA drive, so anything besides quick CCD planetary is out anyway.

The scope came with 3 very nice Nikon EP's, the super fancy solar projection system, an eyepiece projection adapter that is of unbelieveable quality, a straight thru adapter, and box for the OTA.

I think my biggest challenge is going to be that the .965" diagonal threads into the focuser tube. Finding a 1.25" adapter of some sort is going to be tough.

You can see many more pictures of this telescope at..

Nikon 1

Steve

Attached Thumbnails

• 1689188-IMG_4257.JPG

#2 Steve_M_M

Steve_M_M

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 28 June 2007 - 10:08 PM

Another....

Attached Thumbnails

• 1689190-IMG_4259.JPG

#3 BHunt

BHunt

Apollo

Posted 28 June 2007 - 10:32 PM

Wow Steve where in the world did you find that!
Congrats and I know you will enjoy.
Bill

#4 Bonco

Bonco

Skylab

Posted 28 June 2007 - 10:48 PM

Looking sweet. Last fall I posted a want add on astromart for a 3 inch F/15. I got a private email from a guy with a Nikon like yours and he offered it at a very good price. Me thinks it might be the same scope. Anyway I went for Lenney's Unitron but it was a tough decision. I like your 4 inch F/15 too. Just bought one a couple of weeks ago and love it. Don't know what the thread size is on your Nikon but I just bought a 1-1/4 inch adapter from Unitron that threads into to the draw tube for $30...Maybe one would work for you too. BTW by adjusting the heigth/angle of the south tripod leg you can get the desired latitude. Also you might experiment mounting the 4 inch on the Nikon mount. Might be better than the Super Polaris. Bonco

#5 twhite

twhite

Vanguard

Posted 28 June 2007 - 10:48 PM

Awesome. Would love to get a look through it. I've had a look through one, in Chicago, and I was hooked.

#6 BHunt

BHunt

Apollo

Posted 28 June 2007 - 10:54 PM

Wow Tony you have some list of scopes there below your name.
Bill

#7 Steve_M_M

Steve_M_M

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 28 June 2007 - 11:06 PM

Yes Bonco...it is that same scope. The seller and I passed on the deal last year. Recently, I posted looking for a 4" f12-f20 and the seller wrote me again about this Nikon. (So did Tony on his Pentax which I would have bought had not this come along) So, we came to a deal this time and here it is.

I do not think the former owner had been using it too much, so I am excited to get it out and try it. Unfortunately, we are headed out on a 2 week vacation so it will have to wait. I have heard the optics on these are some of the best, if not the best.

In typical fashion...my 3" Goto 106 is the same, the legs are not adjustable. So, I would have to prop it up to adjust the latitude.

Steve

#8 Bonco

Bonco

Skylab

Posted 28 June 2007 - 11:18 PM

AHH HA!!!, I thought so. AND I too was interested in Tony's Pentax...Small world ehh? Congratulations, that scope is a rare find. Looking forward to your optical evaluations once you get to try it out.
Bonco

#9 Preston Smith

Preston Smith

The Travel Scope Guy

Posted 29 June 2007 - 07:09 AM

Wow! Someone who sleeps with his scopes! :lol:

Seriously, they look like wonderful instruments of superb quality and craftsmanship. Thanks for sharing!

#10 Ziggy943

Ziggy943

In Memoriam

• In Memoriam

Posted 29 June 2007 - 10:06 AM

It was an 80mm Nikon refractor more than 30 years ago, owned by John Mosely, that gave me an appreciation for their fine optics. That telescope first made me aware of perfect diffraction patterns in telescopes.

I'm sure you will enjoy your fine new telescope.

#11 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors

Posted 29 June 2007 - 10:55 AM

Steve, that is a rare gem you have there! :bow:

I think my biggest challenge is going to be that the .965" diagonal threads into the focuser tube. Finding a 1.25" adapter of some sort is going to be tough.

If you can't find a screw-on 1.25" visual back/adapter, you might have to use an eyepiece reducer 1.25" - .965". My little Asahi-Pentax scope I have on the way is the same - the diagonal threads onto the drawtube. Agena Astro sells the eyepiece adapters for about $15.00

Regards and clear skies,

MikeG

#12 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 29 June 2007 - 12:27 PM

That's a nice catch there, Steve.

Keith

#13 skyler

skyler

Surveyor 1

Posted 29 June 2007 - 01:46 PM

It is an absolutely wonderful scope from the Nippon Kogaku days. I think it was the inspiration and goal for Takahashi to aspire to.

The views are fabulous pin-point stars and black background; something to behold for sure.
I am proud to see it in a good caring home and should only go up in value over the years since it is such a rarity.

There are motor drives specifically made for it and would need to be located but it would be difficult. The mount is meant to be adjusted by the leg positioning and it has a range of 33 to 35 deg as noted. An adjustable pier could be fabricated to accept the mount head since it is bolted as a part of a 2-piece assembly to the tripod thereby making it altitude adjustable.

Best Regards,
S

#14 Steve_M_M

Steve_M_M

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 29 June 2007 - 04:21 PM

I should be able to get it out tonight for a look-see.

Steve

#15 galakuma

galakuma

Mariner 2

Posted 30 June 2007 - 08:23 AM

This object lens used Extra-low Dispersion lens. Nikon did not advertise so it.
We didn't know so,Nikon released it at a cheap price,only 89500yen.
I wanted to buy it, but I was not able to buy it because no money,at 1971.
Only one year later, it was raised to 168000yen.
I felled sorry very much and lost interest.
Now, As for the good thing of degree, it is priced about 150000-200000yen in japan.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1691472-nikon8kubota.jpg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics