•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Newbie travels to get his new scope...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
25 replies to this topic

#1 ukcanuck

ukcanuck

Vendor (Skylight Telescopes)

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 29 June 2007 - 06:14 PM

So, a 500+ mile round trip later, I am one scope better off. :jump:

My collection is now one heavier with the addition of a beautiful 3 1/4 inch Cooke refractor. I had only seen a few pictures of it, and hadn't seen it in person, and was certainly not disappointed. The objective is very clean, and cosmetically, it looks superb...even the tripod is a thing of beauty by itself! Both have their original boxes, and the scope has two original eyepieces and filters. No manual...perhaps I can download it from their website? :smirk:

Sadly the mount did not make the trip through the last 100+ years with the scope, so I now need to investigate mounting options...any suggestions or comments welcome.

Apologies for the funky angles...it seemed the easiest way to get it all in.

Rick

Attached Thumbnails

• 1690588-Cooke-1.jpg

#2 ukcanuck

ukcanuck

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 29 June 2007 - 06:15 PM

annnnd....

the tripod:

Attached Thumbnails

• 1690591-cooke-2.jpg

#3 93alien

93alien

Messenger

Posted 29 June 2007 - 06:17 PM

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!
that scope has drool inducing good looks.
congrats and clear skies,
mac

#4 Preston Smith

Preston Smith

The Travel Scope Guy

Posted 29 June 2007 - 06:25 PM

:crazyeyes: :bigshock: :woot: :rockon: WOW! Outstanding scope!

#5 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

Posted 29 June 2007 - 06:52 PM

Oh c'mon please I was told to never accept gifts from strangers.....we've never met have we??? :grin: :lol: :grin:Mike

#6 BHunt

BHunt

Apollo

Posted 29 June 2007 - 06:59 PM

A true work of art. Congrats and enjoy Rick!
Bill

#7 Vesper818

Vesper818

Astronomess

Posted 29 June 2007 - 07:00 PM

Lovely! What a responsability. and and honor you have to care for this piece of history. Is that dark blue or black?
for the mount, might I suggest the mount pictured in the older Norton's atlas- a wood and pipe DIY EQ. It looks simple to build and classy enough for your Cook.
Thank you so much for posting the photo of tripod. The bracing answers how I could make a collapsable one...
If you had time, could you post close ups of the diagonal and the eyepieces?
Wow wow wow!

#8 Preston Smith

Preston Smith

The Travel Scope Guy

Posted 29 June 2007 - 07:08 PM

Thank you so much for posting the photo of tripod. The bracing answers how I could make a collapsable one...

Carol! You and I think too much alike!:idea:

I have already saved the picture under my "tripod" folder. Looks like a project for the Eureka Skunk Works (ESW) next spring..... :lol:

#9 Vesper818

Vesper818

Astronomess

Posted 29 June 2007 - 07:19 PM

This one, at least, is a current project!

#10 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 29 June 2007 - 07:25 PM

Cookes are top notch, the equal of Clark and Brashears. The 6" f18 Cooke triplet APO in Edinburgh is one of the best APOs in existance, and despite its 100 year life has a color correction 10x better than even a TEC 140 (per spot diagrams). You've got a fine scope.

A PM about your mount follows.

Keith

#11 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors

Posted 29 June 2007 - 07:27 PM

That is a sweeeeeet scope. :bow:

I bet you are dying to find a mount so you can get some light through it!

Regards and clear skies,

MikeG

#12 twhite

twhite

Vanguard

Posted 29 June 2007 - 09:01 PM

Congratulations on acquiring such a fabulous instrument!

I hope you are able to find an original or at least proper vintage mount for that beauty.

Tony

#13 paul

paul

Messenger

Posted 29 June 2007 - 11:08 PM

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!
That is one classy scope
thanks for posting the pics.
:grin: :grin: everybody ..sleep over is at ricks :grin: :grin:

#14 JWW

JWW

Apollo

Posted 29 June 2007 - 11:27 PM

Very sweet Rick ...

#15 fxxm747

fxxm747

Viking 1

Posted 29 June 2007 - 11:41 PM

Oh my Rick...my jaw dropped to the floor when the pic showed up. Wow...Wow...Wow......

#16 ngc2289

ngc2289

Soyuz

Posted 29 June 2007 - 11:46 PM

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!Love that scope!!!!!!!!!!! :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :bugeyes: :bugeyes: :bugeyes: :drool: :drool: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :choochoo: :choochoo: :gottahurt: :gottahurt: X-p X-p :woot: :woot: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

#17 Da Bear

Da Bear

Apollo

Posted 30 June 2007 - 12:35 AM

Oh....MY.......G O O D N E S S !!!!!

Just wonderful!

Da Bear

#18 Dan /schechter

Dan /schechter

Apollo

Posted 30 June 2007 - 01:04 AM

Rick, Beautiful telescope. I agree with everyone else, it is a thing of beauty. Would you mind telling us the story surrounding the scope. How you found out about it. How you negotiated your purchase. Any history considering prior ownership. What is the aperture and focal length. Thanks and again congratulations. Dan

#19 ukcanuck

ukcanuck

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 30 June 2007 - 09:17 AM

Lovely! What a responsability. and and honor you have to care for this piece of history. Is that dark blue or black?

Nice, I like that. It's black.

Thank you for all your feedback, it’s really nice to hear that others feel this scope is as special as I do. Sorry for the delay in responding, I took the scope to a few acquaintances this morning to get their input.

We’ve roughly dated it from somewhere between the years 1890 & 1910. There are some interesting features on it, notably the right angle finder. One of the people I saw this morning has restored a couple of Cooke scopes, and nobody had seen one like it. While it doesn’t look like it was an original feature of the scope, all agreed the apparent age, machining, and parts used matched the scope, so it may have been ordered from Cooke at the time the scope was purchased (no doubt by a Duke or Lord of the time :smirk: ). The crosshairs in the finder are also interesting…there are three of them. They criss-cross each other, leaving a triangle in the middle for you to place your alignment star.

The scope aperture is 3 ¼ inches. I haven’t measured the focal length yet, but it’s at least 1200mm, making it at least an F15, but probably longer.

Believe it or not, this scope came from……Ebay.

The seller inherited the scope from his Grandfather, and it has been boxed for the last 15 years. They’ve moved 3 times in that period, and dutifully hauled the boxes with them when they went.

I’m normally very careful about buying on Ebay, and broke a few of my personal Ebay rules on this one. These same rules probably discouraged a few bidders, as did the mount being missing…but if everything was perfect, the big guns may have started bidding and I could well have lost my chance. As I was able to pick up in person, this made me feel more comfortable, so I had a go at it. As it was, the scope was better than I had expected. It’s interesting, and it’s unique nature means I may be able to find out more about it. :question:

It's a wonderful scope, and as the opportunity to buy something like this comes along only rarely, I feel very lucky to have it in my hands.

A couple of other picture attached as requested, one of the finder diagonal, and another of an eyepiece & filters. Feel free to request further pictures.

Rick.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1691557-Cooke 4.jpg

#20 ukcanuck

ukcanuck

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 30 June 2007 - 09:19 AM

One more picture...

By the way, I'm not a Newbie anymore!

I'm a (wait for it...) Journeyman :bow: :jump:

Attached Thumbnails

• 1691561-Cooke 3.jpg

#21 Vesper818

Vesper818

Astronomess

Posted 30 June 2007 - 09:42 AM

Glorioskies! Beautiful brass!
Thank you so much for the pics!
I've been collecting odd eyepices and bits for to gussy up some homemade eyepieces, so this is quite helpful.
Your post and photos raises my standards for my current ATM, and sets them for a "retro" 85mm F16 objective for the future!!!

no matter what my title says, still an apprentice....

#22 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 30 June 2007 - 10:54 AM

The closeup of your focuser jarred my memory. A local collector does in fact own one of these Cookes, and it has the original mount. I will contact him and see if he can provide a picture.

Keith

#23 ukcanuck

ukcanuck

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 30 June 2007 - 11:03 AM

The closeup of your focuser jarred my memory. A local collector does in fact own one of these Cookes, and it has the original mount. I will contact him and see if he can provide a picture.

Keith

Thanks.

Interestingly, I took my son to the Science Museum in London last week, and they have a Cooke on display there...and if memory serves, it's very similar to mine. I'll take him back on another adventure and take some pictures. Purely to aid his education, of course. :cool:

They also have Caroline Herschel's telescope, and the mirror from her brothers' 40 foot telescope seen here:

http://www.sciencemu...y/1932-567.aspx

pretty cool...

#24 BCB

BCB

Undercover Saboteur

Posted 30 June 2007 - 02:58 PM

Whats the condition of the lense ? Pics please m8 :)

#25 ukcanuck

ukcanuck

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 30 June 2007 - 03:28 PM

I'm not sure if the picture does it justice, but the lens is pretty much perfect. Nothing to mention other than a few specks of dust.

But it's real old dust! :hmmmm:

It's either been very carefully cared for in the past, or has been used very little.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1692119-cooke6.jpg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics