•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Danubia 80/1200 = Tasco 10k ?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#1 AaronM

AaronM

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 01 July 2007 - 11:06 PM

Hello dear friends,

and again excuse me for my bad english :o

A few days ago I could get an old refractor 80/1200 with complete equipment ( I want to try to load up 2 photos here ). It looks ident to the Tasco 10 k but on the focusser its labeled with "DANUBIA". Could it be that Tasco sells under that brand too ?

Kind regards Michael ( from germany )

Attached Thumbnails

• 1694734-danubia1.jpg

#2 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

Posted 02 July 2007 - 12:34 AM

Michael....Tasco and Danubia are the retail distributors....Towa is the manufacturer. Other distributors that sold this same exact scope are Sears, Selsi, Sans&Streiffe to name a few...plus Towa sold there own label retail. I have that same scope you have and it's a Selsi and it is super duper!! ;) ;)Mike

#3 fxxm747

fxxm747

Viking 1

Posted 02 July 2007 - 01:28 AM

Michael, yes this looks like the Towa 339. Nice Japanese refractor to be sure.

#4 twhite

twhite

Vanguard

Posted 02 July 2007 - 03:48 AM

Michael,

Your English is better than our German. :D

As Mikey said - Danubia was a brand name in Europe; Towa of Japan was the manufacturer (look for the Circle-T logo on the sticker on the focuser).

They're usually very good scopes.

Tony

#5 mare_balticum

mare_balticum

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 02 July 2007 - 05:12 AM

Hi Michael!

> It looks ident to the Tasco 10 k

As the others wrote, this scope is identical to other importeur's models: Tasco 10K, Meade 300 and (the original) Towa 339.
"Danubia" is a label of "Doerr-Foto" (Nuremberg). The company was founded in 1973. Therefore your scope might be from the middle to the end 70's.
I've seen it on eBay-Germany, too - nice shot for a very good price - congratulations! :)

One hint: The original 10K came with a 6x30 finderscope - at the foto there's the smaller 5x24 shown - maybe it's replaced later?!

#6 AaronM

AaronM

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 02 July 2007 - 06:35 AM

Thanks Winnie :smirk:

I'll use it for moon observing and I think it will be good for that, besides Kurts comment in a blue forum ! :cool:

CS Michi

#7 mare_balticum

mare_balticum

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 02 July 2007 - 06:59 AM

Moin Michi!

Yesss...! ;) I'd seen that thread on astrotreff.de a while later, sorry.

Kurt's comment was a little "drastic" - I do think that he will be tared and feathered for a posting like that here on CN-classics. :ubetcha:

#8 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 02 July 2007 - 08:42 AM

No one 'trashes' old telescopes here on the Classics Forum. :noway:

Keith (unless its a Celestron :lol: )

#9 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors

Posted 02 July 2007 - 08:59 AM

If someone trash talks about classic scopes in here, they will get a savage beating with an old 4" Jaegers OTA. Then we cram an old Ramsden eyepiece into both ears and both nostrils. To top it off, we give them a whipping with the old-style long, floppy slo-mo cables.

Just don't ask what they do in the Questar forum!

Regards and clear skies,

MikeG

#10 93alien

93alien

Messenger

Posted 02 July 2007 - 09:53 AM

/you would end up like this :doah: :crutch: :blackeye: :x

#11 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

• Vendors

Posted 02 July 2007 - 10:18 AM

By the way, Welcome to Cloudy Nights and the Classics forum Michael!

:)

#12 93alien

93alien

Messenger

Posted 02 July 2007 - 10:24 AM

your saynig this after we just scared the Most Emphatically NOT Haggis out of 'em.
oh again welcome to cloudynights

#13 BHunt

BHunt

Apollo

Posted 02 July 2007 - 06:51 PM

No one 'trashes' old telescopes here on the Classics Forum. :noway:

Keith (unless its a Celestron :lol: )

You making fun of those hockey puck scopes again! Sound like your ready to draw another cartoon. Now that was funny!
Bill :lol:

#14 AaronM

AaronM

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 03 July 2007 - 05:06 AM

Thanks for the friendly welcome here ;). If I try to write only a few english words, it may be possible that you all can understand me... :grin: :grin:
BTW : I often see old refractors labeled with "Prinz" in the benelux countries. I guess these will Towa-modells too ? :cool:
A few weeks ago, I saw on a belgium online market-place an old Ganymedes Mizar refractor 68/1000. I think this would be a nice, collectable scope too, but the owner never had reacted on my mails...sad...
I'll try to post a picture here later...

Regards Michael

Here it is :

( the OTA looks fine, but this modern ugly mount ! )

:bawling:

Attached Thumbnails

• 1696952-ganymedes.jpg

#15 AaronM

AaronM

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 03 July 2007 - 12:36 PM

Hello,

I have now take a closer look on the label ( photo ) : there is a "T" n the circle, so I suppose its a TOWA, as mare-balticum told before. The scope should come tomorrow - seems to be a early christmas for me....

Regards Michael

Attached Thumbnails

• 1697580-danubia2.jpg

#16 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

• Vendors

Posted 04 July 2007 - 01:24 PM

Looks like a good Towa-made scope. Is that a lock screw on the drawtube in that last photo? If so, that is a nice touch not seen on many scopes from that period.

Regards,

MikeG

#17 AaronM

AaronM

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 July 2007 - 03:13 PM

Hello again..

seem's I'have to wait a day longer..the scope didn't arrived today. As I told in my other post, I decided to follow your advices here and will leave the scope in the original condition ( no focusser changing ! ). But I will try to use the Towa on my fine old german mount "KOSMOS Orion 1" too. This mount was produced by KOSMOS/Lichtenknecker in germany between perhaps 1950 - 1974 (?) in various updates/upgrades. This is a really fine and collectable (useable ) mount. It's very heavy, made of solid cast iron and brass, with 30 mm axes in RA and fine engraved brass setting circles. If you want to know more about this mount, you can see it on www.achromat.de ( is it allowed to post that link here ? ). I'll try to attache a photo from it. I guess, beside the original setup, this would be a great alternative mount for the Towa too !

Regards Michael

Attached Thumbnails

• 1699640-kosmos6k.jpg

#18 AaronM

AaronM

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 July 2007 - 03:20 PM

another pic from my old KOSMOS Orion 1 ( this one was made in 1965 - engraved date )

Attached Thumbnails

• 1699652-kosmos7.jpg

#19 AaronM

AaronM

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 July 2007 - 03:22 PM

and a original photo from the book "Astrofotografie für Jedermann" by Texereau from 1962 :

Attached Thumbnails

• 1699655-kosmos5k.jpg

#20 AaronM

AaronM

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 July 2007 - 03:34 PM

Dear Mike, if I get the Towa I will tell you all more details and perhaps will post a few photos of the scope. BTW : I have to say that its a wonderfull forum here with very friendly people - and we all love the classic scopes ! This could be a new "home" for me, even if its sometimes hard for me to find the wright words.

CS Michael

#21 ngc2289

ngc2289

Soyuz

Posted 04 July 2007 - 06:01 PM

another pic from my old KOSMOS Orion 1 ( this one was made in 1965 - engraved date )

Nice!!!! :drool5: :)

#22 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

Posted 04 July 2007 - 06:45 PM

That Towa will blend right in on that mount..perfect! :smirk: Mike

#23 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

• Vendors

Posted 04 July 2007 - 07:49 PM

Michael -

Your English is very good, and much better than my German! :)

We greatly enjoy the participation of members from all countries. It is in the best interest of everyone involved to share information on these scopes. Many scopes sold in the US were also sold in Europe under different labels. Unitron was Polarex in Europe. Shrine Manon was Mayflower here in the US. (I think) And as you can see, your Danubia was produced by Towa in Japan - the same scope manufacturer who made many Tasco, Sears, and other US brands.

Now just be prepared for your collection to grow. ;)

Regards and clear skies,

MikeG

#24 AaronM

AaronM

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 July 2007 - 11:10 PM

Hello dear friends,

as you can see in he following picture from my KOSMOS/Orion1 mount, this one was equipped with the original RA-drive ( 220 V :shocked:). This drive is in good working condition too. The photo shows the mount in the condition I've got it. There was a lot of rust and chips in the painting. I had take the rust away, relubed it, and polish the brass-parts with 3µm diamond-polish-suspension. I added new paint. This mount was made in two paintings : metallsilver and black. The original silver paint had many scratches chips and rust too - so I decided to paint the mount in the origininal black colour, as you could see in the picture I added before this post. Here in germny its very early morning now - I hope , that in a few hours the UPS-man will jump into my garage - with a big parcel included the Towa/Danubia 80/1200 !!

Behind this mount there is a nice little storie : The seller got this mount from his father and the father from the grandfather. The grandfather had mounted a 5" f14 Lichtenknecker on this mount !!!! Original the mount was designed for the 68/900 KOSMOS E68 refractor ! But, we all know: in that vintage years, the mounts were produced so stable and heavy, that they could handle much bigger optics. So it is here. Another Orion1-owner wrote me, that he has mounted a 100/1000 refractor on it, with the old E68 ( 68/900 ) refractor as a guide-scope together. And it's rock-stable !The seller of my mount was a very friendly star-friend : he had to place the mount outside a few weeks( therefore the mount get rusty ), because of his little son. The mount was placed in the living-room, the little boy was playing around it, and : he hits the very heavy mount and was nearly beaten by the falling mount !! So this starfriend decide to place the mount outside ( but forgot to cover the mount for weather-protecting ). As he offers me the mount, he was informed that is a very worthfull GEM for collectors and that he could get a lot of money for it. But he says : "Michael, if you want it, I will sell it to you for 50 €, because I know the babe is in good hands and you will reanimate it in a fine way. Better I sell it for a friendly price to a friend of classic scopes, than selling it to a someone else who will give it away the next day just to earn a lot of dollars with it !" Nice guy !!

Regrads, Michael

Attached Thumbnails

• 1700287-kosmos1.jpg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics