•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

question about used telescope purchase

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 donnie3

donnie3

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 July 2007 - 07:10 PM

im not sure that this scope would qualify and a classic ( meade 8" lx 10 ) i ask this question in the cat forum and got no answer, maybe thay thought it was a dumb question and it probably is. i have not received it yet and dont know too much about this type scope. whats the best way to use this telescope in altazimuth and just use the manual slow motion controls. adjust the wedge to 0 degrees or take the scope and fork off the wedge and set it on some kind of plateform on a concret peir or something of this kind of configuration. any info on this would be appreciated. thanks,don.

#2 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 02 July 2007 - 07:38 PM

Hi Donnie:

I am not familar with the LX-10 mount and it has been quite some time since I owned an Wedge mounted SCT.

But I do have a vague recollection that my Orange Tube C-8 used the same mounting holes for the wedge and the base of fork mount so that it could be mounted directly to the tripod and used in the alt-az mode. I think there is a good deal of standardization with the various Meade and Celestron SCTs so it is possible you could make this work without any trouble.

Otherwise, you could make an adapter plate. I don't think adjusting the wedge would work as the range is limited and it would be badly off center.

I am not a big SCT guy, this is what I remember from a while back and I could be completely in off track.

Jon

#3 Larry F

Larry F

Vanguard

Posted 02 July 2007 - 08:02 PM

Why do you want to use the LX-10 in alt-azimuth mode? It's really a waste if you have the wedge. Tracking in polar alignment is always better for a non-goto scope.

Keep it on the wedge, adjust the wedge to your latitude, put the tube at 90 degrees elevation, sight on Polaris by moving the wedge in rotation and altitude, and you will track reasonably well, and enjoy the scope a lot more than trying to keep tracking in the alt-az configuration.

I use my C5 on a wedge and I am impressed with how easy it is to set it up and get it going enough for visual work.

Use the wedge!

#4 donnie3

donnie3

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 July 2007 - 08:04 PM

thanks jon, i just looked at a picture of this scope and your right about using the wedge would put the scope and fork way off center. like you said, theres a possibility of just attaching the fork itself to the tripod, this might work but again, it might put the scope too low to were you would have to be setting to observe. ill just have to take a good look at it when it arrives and do some figuring. thanks for the reply. donnie

#5 donnie3

donnie3

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 July 2007 - 08:20 PM

thanks larry for the suggestion. ill probably do just that when i get it but i just wonted to know if the option was possible. ill probably laugh at myself asking this when i get use to using it. its too bad that companies discontinued this type for scope. gotos ok but some of us still like to star hop.

#6 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 03 July 2007 - 08:39 AM

thanks larry for the suggestion. ill probably do just that when i get it but i just wonted to know if the option was possible. ill probably laugh at myself asking this when i get use to using it. its too bad that companies discontinued this type for scope. gotos ok but some of us still like to star hop.

Donnie:

Tracking is nice but there are some advantages to an ALT=AZ setup. I think it makes for more comfortable viewing positions. Viewing targets in the northern part of the sky can require a flexible contortionist just to get to the eyepiece and/or finder. I think it also helps with the vibration, the forks and OTA hanging out on a Wedge are not as stable as it would be in the alt-az mode.

I did experiment using my Orange Tube C-8 in the Alt-az mode but eventually came to the realization that better Newtonians suited my needs.

Jon

#7 donnie3

donnie3

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 July 2007 - 02:26 PM

jon, you have a very good point about alt-az. with the eyepeice in front of you all the time it sure helps if you have back problems. the slow motion controls are a real plus over a push to dob, not saying that i dislike dobs, i have 3 of them. ill just have to wait and see what works out the best when it arrives. thanks, donnie.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics