•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Strange Little Telesope/Monocular - What is this?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Mozhoven

Mozhoven

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 03 July 2007 - 02:41 PM

Hello All,

Recently I've come into possession of the little telescoping monocular.

It seems quite old and has very nice optics considering the age.

It's height is 50mm and is 90mm fully extended. The objective is 30mm and the eyepiece is 15mm. The body appears to be brass. It's housed in a cardboard case with a paisley inner rim and a leather-like covering.

Any ideas?

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#2 mare_balticum

mare_balticum

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 03 July 2007 - 03:28 PM

Hi Jeremy!

These little optics were used as opera-glasses and popular since end of the 18. century (after the invention of the achromats). They worked like Galileian telescopes with low powers.
Names: in England "opera glass", in France "Lunette d'Opéra" (later "Lorgnette"), in Germany "Perspektiv".
They were also used as alternative for eyeglasse and came out of fashion after production of binocular opera-glasses in the 1820's.

Source: Riekher "Fernrohre und ihre Meister", 1st ed. 1957 (german)

#3 Mozhoven

Mozhoven

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 03 July 2007 - 04:12 PM

Thank you very much for the detailed response. Very interesting, I had no idea what it was used for.

Out of curiosity, Do you know what something like this fetch at an antique store or on a collectibles site?

#4 mare_balticum

mare_balticum

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 03 July 2007 - 04:45 PM

Jeremy...

No, I don't know anything about collectors of such items. It's not my party, sorry.
I've seen some of these glasses on various museums WWW-sites, try f.i. the German Museum in Munich or the "Mathematisch-Physikalischer Salon", Dresden.
Maybe you'll find a lot of hits by entering Google with the keywords written above. Good luck!

Edit: Here's a link for you... http://www.monocular.info/

#5 Mozhoven

Mozhoven

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 03 July 2007 - 11:07 PM

Thanks for the link, very interesting. I think I'll hang on to it. It's very unique (at least for me) and is a nice link to the optical past.

Thanks again!

#6 chrysalis

chrysalis

Hubble

Posted 04 July 2007 - 04:28 AM

Once had something similar to this in binocular version....liked to view Delphinus through it...

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics