•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

1,25" focusser for the Danubia ( Towa ) 80/1200 ?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 AaronM

AaronM

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 03 July 2007 - 11:04 PM

Hello dear friends,

http://www.cloudynig...5/o/all/fpart/1

as I wrote here, I bought this refractor for 103 € as an complete set with box, wooden tripod, mount, eye-pieces etc. ( look the photos in the thread please ). Now I wonder if I should change to a 1,25" focusser - don't beat me ! :bow:( I have one here from an old Vixen 80M )for using modern eye-pieces, or should I left all in the ( really excellent )original condition !? If I would change the focusser, whats about the focal-length ? Did anyone make this "tuning" before ? Will I come in focus with a 1,25" focusser, or is the OTA too short ? What solution would you prefer ? Thanks for your tipps / advices and again sorry for my terrible english !
Is here anythere an automatic button to insert " sorry for my bad english ? " :bow: :grin:

Regards Michael

#2 twhite

twhite

Vanguard

Posted 04 July 2007 - 12:03 AM

Michael,

Leave it strictly alone and original. Otherwise the Classic Telescope Police will come and beat you. :smash: :smash: :smash:

Seriously -- I would leave it completely original. If it is in as nice a condition ("really excellent original") as you said, do not; repeat: DO NOT change it. :D

There are lots of EXCELLENT 24mm diameter oculars. Just because the majority of the world is using 31.7mm doesn't mean you have to. Carl Zeiss Jena eyepieces are very popular over here -- especially the Orthoscopics -- and all of those are 24mm barrel diameter. Pentax made a wonderful set of Orthoscopics and one Kellner in 24mm barrel diameter. Vixen also made excellent Orthoscopics and Kellners in 24mm barrel diameter.

Look -- no disrespect here. You live in Germany, right? Repeat after me: Zeiss. :D

Even some of us fool Americans want CZJ Orthos -- I see wanted ads for them on Astromart all the time.

That is a planetary scope. Use planetary eyepieces. Buy just one or two to start with. You will NOT be disappointed.

And please stop apologizing for your English. Your English is still FAR better than OUR German.

And if you want to sell that focuser for your 80M -- I'm probably VERY interested in it. :) I need one for a 3" (76.2mm) f/15 Edmund objective and cell I found some time ago without a tube or focuser. I'd like to put it together and get it to SOMEONE to use -- I have PLENTY of refractors around here. In fact, I have a candidate locally (Hi, Mac! :D)

Tony

#3 AaronM

AaronM

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 July 2007 - 12:33 AM

Thanks Tony ! Honestly I've to say, that I'm glad about your answer, because in a little, silent corner of my mind I thought "should I really do that ? :o I'm not seriously willing to do it.. :bawling:".

So I guess the best way is, to get some good 0,96 eye-pieces or a hybrid-prisma and just walk around on the moon. :)

I never had such a vintage refractor before, my fearness ( ?) was, that the focusser is to much "wobbling" if it comes so far out in focus ? Or is the focusser good and smoothly working ?
Regards, Michael

#4 twhite

twhite

Vanguard

Posted 04 July 2007 - 12:37 AM

It's been my experience that the Towa focuser is very solid -- as long as it's properly adjusted and has not been abused.

It's possible that you might need to disassemble your focuser and clean it. I've had to install some very thin adhesive-backed Teflon before in some very old focusers -- but this is normally due to use. If yours has not been used much, then just a cleaning and lubrication with a good synthetic lubricant and proper adjustment should do it.

The best way is to get some good 24mm eyepieces or the hybrid diagonal as you suggest. :)

Tony

#5 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

Posted 04 July 2007 - 03:04 PM

I'll drink to those comments. well said! :applause:Mike

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics