•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Identical Feckers on Ebay UK

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 ukcanuck

ukcanuck

Vendor (Skylight Telescopes)

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 04 July 2007 - 02:59 AM

Here we go, :ohgeeze:
the serial numbers have been mentioned on this forum before, so I reported the first one on Monday...but it's still there. Now the exact same thing has been relisted, so now there are two identical fake listings.

#1: http://preview.tinyurl.com/2z57qg

&, #2: http://preview.tinyurl.com/yos64b

I'm not a computer expert by any stretch, but is it not possible to have automated ways of preventing examples of fraud as clear as these ones, other than Ebay's somewhat lackadasical we'll-get-to-it-later approach? Maybe some kind of screen to pick up the code from identical picture combinations?

At least nobody's bidding.

#2 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 04 July 2007 - 03:51 AM

Good catch, but eBay isn't the only site where this happens. As a for instance, I think both of the following Astromart advertisements listings are legit, but notice the wording describing the Televue Pronto in both...

Here's the first ad that showed up, dated 6/30. Again, specifically pay attention to the wording describing the Televue:
http://www.astromart...ified_id=507816

Now, the second, dated 7/3. http://www.astromart...ified_id=508311 Pics were added in between when I noticed this earlier today and when I went back this evening to get the URL, but the wording is still absolutely identical, down to the description of the scratches. Maybe he bought the thing, got it and hated it, and decided to resell it immediately, but why copy the ad word for word without explanation? If I were currently in the market for a Pronto, I would soon conclude that here's too much foolishness like the Fecker/eBay stuff going on for me to waste my time trying to figure out if there really is a Televue at the other end of this deal or not.

Keith

#3 clintwhitman

clintwhitman

Caveman

Posted 04 July 2007 - 06:02 AM

The first add is from John Volk, he is an outstanding member of our local astronomy community and a very good dude. Keith

#4 clintwhitman

clintwhitman

Caveman

Posted 04 July 2007 - 06:11 AM

The other guy plagiarized Johns add? Dirty rotten scoundrel

#5 clintwhitman

clintwhitman

Caveman

Posted 04 July 2007 - 06:14 AM

You rock Kieth!!! as far as the adds in England I would be carfull messing around over there. You need a friend that lives there to buy. We need to set up a purchasing network with a collector over there

#6 ukcanuck

ukcanuck

Vendor (Skylight Telescopes)

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 04 July 2007 - 07:30 AM

You need a friend that lives there to buy. We need to set up a purchasing network with a collector over there

I'm in the UK, although I'd rather be back in Vancouver. :cool:

If you need anything investigated, I might be able to check it out. Ebay UK does seem a bit sparse compared to yours though.

Shipping costs can be a real stinger too.

#7 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 04 July 2007 - 09:50 AM

The first add is from John Volk, he is an outstanding member of our local astronomy community and a very good dude. Keith

Hi Clint,

Yes, as noted, John's ad was posted first and appears to be completely plagarized by the second ad four days later...the stuff about the diagonal was added in when the photos were added, its initial appearance was in every way the same. Without explanation, it is very suspicious.

Keith

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics