•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

What products are a must when I get a LX200?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 August 2003 - 11:03 AM

When I first posted I was wanting a LX200 10", then leaned to a LX90, now im back to the LX200". I first stated it would take me a couple years to save up for it, but with recent "advances" I can have enough cash to buy it in 4-7 months. Better then years :)

I am going to get the LX200 10" and I would like you all to tell me what other products I will need (EX. carrying case, power supply, dew sheild, etc). Right now the only thing i have I can use on a LX200 10" is a Meade 3000 5mm possel that iv had for years.

So could yall post a list in order of most important with the products name (or company) and price(in your personal opinion)? Im picky just fliping through Sky & Tele. and certain dealer's website I dont really now what im looking for.

thanks for all of your help!
aj

#2 Charles

Charles

Skylab

• -----

Posted 10 August 2003 - 12:56 PM

Aj have you looked at the Celstron C9 1/4-S with the CG-5GT mount? It is about 300 cheaper than the Meade and I remember you mentioning you wanting to do astrophotography later. I think you will be happier in the long run with a EQ mount. With the EQ mount you won't be bothered with the Wedge setup plus it will be much easier for you to setup alone. The fork assembly OTA can get heavy and cumbersome to setup by yourself. I have a 12" Meade and I could never set it up alone. I also hear many people think the optics of the Celestron to being better than the Meade.

Something to consider.
Charles

#3 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 August 2003 - 08:14 PM

$300 less is no big deal. Buying a EQ mount/superwedge wouldnt be a big deal, i might even be able to machine one myself :D If i remember the scope is 62lbs and the tripod is 20lbs. Which makes it heavy but I can do it, if i get this job at UPS ill have to be lifting packages heavier then that. From what iv seen so far from the Sept. issue of Sky and Telescope theres tons of junk the meade lx200s. If the meade sells their Schmidt-Cassegrain 3 to 1. (according to meade) Which to me says a lot.

well this may sound like a dumb reason, but since i was in the 5th grade (now graduated) I have wanted a Meade LX200 model. I feel that if i didnt get the meade after a while I think i would feel like i didnt buy the right thing. Its one of those weird mind games you play on yourself.

aj

#4 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors

Posted 28 August 2003 - 06:19 PM

AJ,
The most important accessories for an LX200, IMHO, are:
Dew Cap for scope and a dew zapper for wet nights.
2" diagonal from Televue, Astrophysics, or Williams.
Focal reducer lens from Celestron or Meade.
Wide field eyepieces from Meade, Televue (20-22mm, 13-15mm, 8-10mm, 6-7mm).
Deep Cycle RV battery for the field.
Adjustable chair (like the Televue Aircahir).
Anti vibration pads for tripod (important at high power).
Small observing table.
Uranometria 2000 Star Atlas, 2nd Edition.
Piece of black carpeting for under scope (saves the dropped eyepiece and gives darker peripheral vision).
longer cord for hand controller so you can enter coordinates while at your table.
Insulated boots from Sorels (Never have cold feet).
Hope this helps a bit.
Don

#5 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

Posted 09 September 2003 - 04:23 PM

I would be really carefull about maching a wedge, our club did that and our LX200 still doesn't track nor goto worth a crap. As for accessories I would get on of those Meade eyepiece deals. Also a f/6.3 reducer and a something to protect ya from dew. Oh and one last thing the Meade 18v adapter.

Those should get you buy for a while

Preston
10" F/6 Discovery PDHQ

#6 Echo

Echo

Gemini

Posted 29 September 2003 - 04:08 PM

Hi,
You can use the box for a while to carry the scope out. Mine lasted two years before finally getting unstable. I just bought a hard sided case on wheels from JMI for $379.00 and am very happy with it. Being able to roll the scope across the parking lot is a major improvement. The only drawback is the extra 28 pounds of weight when you are loading the scope into the back of the car. TC

#7 Grizz

Grizz

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 29 September 2003 - 04:37 PM

Using the box that the scope came in is what I do also. When it wears out I'll use the foam inserts and make a box that will last. But it will be a bit heavier :)

Craig

#8 Steve Saturn

Steve Saturn

Apollo

Posted 09 October 2003 - 11:56 PM

One of my first (and best) purchases was a Telrad reflex sight. Couldn't live without it. You'll also save yourself some time properly aligning the scope if you have an illuminated reticle eyepiece and a good planisphere with the names of the brightest stars (not just the constellation names).

And one hint: Highlight the section in your manual about how to choose an alternate alignment star in case the one it chooses automatically is behind a tree! Happy viewing.

#9 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 November 2003 - 02:48 PM

I'm a newbie as of January, when I bought my classic 10" f/10. I took the advice of the good friend who got me into this mess (yeah, he's still a good friend) and bought a crayford type focuser, proven worth its weight, and *good* EPs not so much toward the high power end, as someone else has suggested, but 20mm to 40mm (though I did buy a 7mm Nagler ... problem is, the seeing hasn't been good enough to get much use out of it; but the low- to medium-power pieces I've collected are stunning whether the seeing is great or just average).

I agree with the Telrad (or equivalent "red dot" type finder); my used scope came with an unused Telrad, and as soon as I mounted it I tossed the stock finder aside, expecting never to use it again.

But here's what you need to do while you're waiting. Get involved with an astronomy club or society in your neighborhood and volunteer to assist at public star parties. That, more than anything else, is how I learned what accessories are out there, how they apply to my own style of observation, how different brands compare, and what I need to buy to complete my own kit to my satisfaction. There's always "just one more thing" on the list, but at least the list has some basis in personal experience.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics