•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Show off your NexStar

• Please log in to reply
1436 replies to this topic

#26 Flying_Fox

Flying_Fox

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Halifax, NS Canada

Posted 16 August 2007 - 10:46 PM

How come I am late for such a thread? :shocked:

Here is mine:

Attached Thumbnails

• 1782259-NexStar8i_BV3web.jpg

#27 Starlighter

Starlighter

Aurora

• Loc: Sunny California

Posted 18 August 2007 - 12:31 AM

Very nice!

I'm still waiting to receive my Wing Thing from S&S Optica. I ordered it over a week ago.

And I ordered a Meade My Sky, but was told the wait could be as long as three months. It seems everyone wants one.

I take it you like the Stellarvue binoviewer. I looked at a pair today at my local optical store.

#28 A.J.

A.J.

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central Valley, Ca

Posted 19 August 2007 - 11:00 PM

^Oh you too. I'm going to call them as Cathy specifically said that it was going UPS ground and should be there by Tues. Well, it's just about a WEEK late. No way UPS is late. Someone screwed up.... :flame:

#29 Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southern California Desert

Posted 20 August 2007 - 11:10 AM

Here's my 8SE:

I have it on my bench for a calibration check of the Sidereal drive rate. It's only about 9 seconds fast per hour, (which is 0.25 percent, or 1 part in 400), so no need to adjust the two phase-lock trimpots.

HAL

Attached Thumbnails

• 1788691-IMG_0033.JPG

#30 Astroboy86

Astroboy86

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Southeastern Virginia

Posted 20 August 2007 - 01:38 PM

I have it on my bench for a calibration check of the Sidereal drive rate. It's only about 9 seconds fast per hour, (which is 0.25 percent, or 1 part in 400), so no need to adjust the two phase-lock trimpots.

Hal,

Just curious, how does one bench-test the calibration of the sidereal drive rate, or locate a procedure for doing so? I couldn't find anything here or on Michael Swanson's NexStar site. Thanks.

-Harry

#31 Starlighter

Starlighter

Aurora

Posted 20 August 2007 - 02:39 PM

Me too. When I called Cathy on Saturday she informed me they shipped it out the day before which was a week after I placed the order. Still waiting. Hopefully I'll get it by Tuesday.

#32 Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 August 2007 - 03:16 PM

Before I lead you guys too far astray with this "caliibration check" stuff, I should let you know that the photo was staged, and the text is baloney!

Being a retired electronics engineer/technician, I used to perform bench checks all the time on aircraft communications, navigation, and weapons control systems.

I just couldn't resist the deception!

HAL (You may now curse me!)
  • Gary Z, jeepcj5 and Chunder157 like this

#33 Astroboy86

Astroboy86

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Southeastern Virginia

Posted 20 August 2007 - 04:45 PM

Before I lead you guys too far astray with this "caliibration check" stuff, I should let you know that the photo was staged, and the text is baloney!

Being a retired electronics engineer/technician, I used to perform bench checks all the time on aircraft communications, navigation, and weapons control systems.

I just couldn't resist the deception!

HAL (You may now curse me!)

That was excellent, sir. :bow: Swallowed it hook, line, and sinker! :fishing:

Thanks for spilling the beans before I dragged my trusty (and dusty) o-scope, freq counter, & function generator out of storage. Obviously, I was blinded by my eager anticipation of a great excuse for cracking open my wife's new telescope and poking around in its guts.
Now that I look at the photo a bit closer, your scope's mount enclosure does look suspiciously intact. :lol: :foreheadslap: :p

-Harry

PS: My dad would have enjoyed your little practical joke. He was a retired QA Supervisor at Naval Air Rework Facility Norfolk, where he inspected EA-6 radio & missile guidance system repairs. He and the bench techs were known to play little jokes on each other...but never when he was holding that little red rubber stamp!

#34 Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 August 2007 - 07:01 PM

Thanks for stringing along that far anyway, Harry! I can tell you're not THAT gullible!

(Never mess with QA!)

HAL
p.s. Is Norfolk still known as xxxx City?

#35 Starlighter

Starlighter

Aurora

Posted 20 August 2007 - 07:54 PM

Nick,

How is it that your heavy-duty tripod has what appears to be black anodized legs when the Celestron website only shows it available with silver legs?

#36 spaceydee

spaceydee

Hubble

• Loc: Where the Kittens Are

Posted 23 August 2007 - 11:14 AM

I have moved the last number of "Wing Thing" posts and created a new thread with those posts in this forum. Let's try to keep this one on topic! :)

Thanks!

#37 Flying_Fox

Flying_Fox

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Halifax, NS Canada

Posted 23 August 2007 - 09:52 PM

Yes, that's all black legs heavy-duty tripod that was used with NexStar GPS series. It had the version with the mounting plate for NexStar 8i and this version is discontinued now. I bought one last year from the remaining stock.

#38 Starlighter

Starlighter

Aurora

Posted 24 August 2007 - 12:33 PM

It looks great. Too bad it's no longer available.

#39 Clint M

Clint M

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Madison, WI

Posted 26 August 2007 - 10:03 PM

Finally managed to get around to this ...

Nothing too special here - a plain ol' 8SE. The only thing that's new is an Orion 9x50 finder mounted where the old finder was. The old finder was moved a screw-hole down and is used for quick aiming.

Posted Image

For fun, I tried my take at using a camera with the scope tonight. Keep in mind this is me holding my digital camera up to the eyepiece and keeping my fingers crossed, so show mercy :)
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#40 DerekDRP

DerekDRP

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Michigan

Posted 01 September 2007 - 05:21 PM

Hal is that an Old rc car on the shelf in your testing station room?

#41 Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 02 September 2007 - 01:08 AM

HEY DEREK:

Yes it is. It's an R/C model of an Army Fast Attack Desert Recon Vehicle. (Unofficially called a "Whisky Buggy")

It mounts an M-60 machine gun.

HAL

Attached Thumbnails

• 1814511-PICTURES 349.jpg

#42 DerekDRP

DerekDRP

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Michigan

Posted 02 September 2007 - 02:03 AM

HEY DEREK:

Yes it is. It's an R/C model of an Army Fast Attack Desert Recon Vehicle. (Unofficially called a "Whisky Buggy")

It mounts an M-60 machine gun.

HAL

Very cool Hal. One of my friends got to drive one of thease in real life with a radio control unit.

he was in the army or which ever branch he was in to be able to drive the driverless car via radio. and he said it was a thrill of a life time.

Now where in the heck would I be able to get of thease little guys?

I'm an R/C nut.

#43 Erix

Erix

Toad Lily

• Loc: Texas, USA

Posted 02 September 2007 - 09:41 AM

Hal can pm you with the details, Derek. Let's get this thread back on topic. Any further discussions of R/C, etc will be removed.

Thanks guys. ;)

#44 Starlighter

Starlighter

Aurora

Posted 02 September 2007 - 01:27 PM

Post deleted by Starlighter

#45 Starlighter

Starlighter

Aurora

Posted 02 September 2007 - 01:34 PM

#46 Starlighter

Starlighter

Aurora

Posted 02 September 2007 - 01:47 PM

#47 Starlighter

Starlighter

Aurora

Posted 02 September 2007 - 05:34 PM

This is my Nexstar 6 SE:

Attached Thumbnails

• 1815834-IMG_0353.jpg

#48 Starlighter

Starlighter

Aurora

Posted 02 September 2007 - 05:56 PM

As you can see, I mounted the Wing Thing and got it to be almost perpendicular to the arm at its center before it curves inward.

I have several eyepieces. My current favorite for close-up viewing is Celestron's 10mm X-Cel series. I also have a Superview 15mm Wide View Four Element along with the two eyepices that came with the scope. I also have several eyepieces that came with Celestron's accessory eyepiece/filter kit. Add to that both AC and DC power cables.

When in my backyard, I always power it by the AC adapter. What bugs me is how the power cord tends to get twisted around the base since when the scope moves, so does the socket. I understand with their ETX series, Meade has its plug where it remains stationary. I wish this was the case with this otherwise fine scope.

I replaced the less than satisfactory star diagonal that came with the scope with one made by Lumicon. The difference was quite noticeable. I went with the LumiBrite Dielectric Coated Diagonal which reflects 98 percent of the light coming in.

And I bought the necessary dew shield, this one made by Astrozap.

Next purchase will be Meade's My Sky whenever I can find one. It must be great since there's a long waiting list.

#49 BrianRG

BrianRG

Skippy

• Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Posted 02 September 2007 - 07:04 PM

Looks good, Starlighter. I recently replaced my stock diagonal, too, with a WO dielectric. It does make a difference.

Brian
  • cammo66 likes this

#50 Starlighter

Starlighter

Aurora

Posted 02 September 2007 - 08:52 PM

Here's a larger photo of my Nexstar 6 SE:

Attached Thumbnails

• 1816137-IMG_0354.jpg

• Chunder157 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics