•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

GOTO mount

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
25 replies to this topic

#1 JanS

JanS

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 July 2007 - 01:23 PM

Hi! I was wondering if anyone here has an idea of what currently available mount would be roughly equal in weight & strength to my GOTO #106 mount? Any ideas? :question:

#2 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors

Posted 28 July 2007 - 03:16 PM

Hi Jan,

Do you have a pic of your mount for comparison?

With a 75mm f/17 tube, I am guessing the mount is probably the equivalent of a modern EQ-3 or heavy EQ-2. Something like an Orion AstroView or older SkyView Deluxe comes to mind as having about the same load capacity. (roughly)

Are you dissatisfied with your GOTO mount? I am assuming that is a Goto Kogaku mount right? If so, those are considered to be high quality mounts, you likely won't get a "better" one in it's same class - unless you are looking for an electronic "Go-To" mount....?

Regards and clear skies,

MikeG

#3 JanS

JanS

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 July 2007 - 06:09 PM

Hi Jan,

Do you have a pic of your mount for comparison?

With a 75mm f/17 tube, I am guessing the mount is probably the equivalent of a modern EQ-3 or heavy EQ-2. Something like an Orion AstroView or older SkyView Deluxe comes to mind as having about the same load capacity. (roughly)

Are you dissatisfied with your GOTO mount? I am assuming that is a Goto Kogaku mount right? If so, those are considered to be high quality mounts, you likely won't get a "better" one in it's same class - unless you are looking for an electronic "Go-To" mount....?

Regards and clear skies,

MikeG

I'm borrowing this picture from Steve, he posted it in one of the classic threads you've listed. I think its heavier than an eq2 or eq3. I know its a well-built mount, but the way the GOTO scope mounts to it is rather unusual, not like most current scopes. But I like its quality. A similar, more modern version would be great for my next scope.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1744579-1383688-IMG_3692.jpg

#4 twhite

twhite

Vanguard

Posted 29 July 2007 - 01:25 AM

That definitely looks heavier than an EQ2 or EQ3. Hard to tell by just a photo. Maybe along the lines of an SP or GP? With that much moment arm to control, it should be a pretty sturdy mount.

#5 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

• Vendors

Posted 29 July 2007 - 09:21 AM

It does seem like a Super Polaris or similar in capacity, now that I see it. I bet it would support a much heavier tube than the Goto OTA it came with. Definitely a keeper. Call me silly, but I would rather have/use that vintage Goto than any modern equivelant. That old Goto smacks of QUALITY.

:)

Hmmmmm.....you can have my Super Polaris for it! :grin:

#6 JanS

JanS

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 July 2007 - 11:54 AM

It does seem like a Super Polaris or similar in capacity, now that I see it. I bet it would support a much heavier tube than the Goto OTA it came with. Definitely a keeper. Call me silly, but I would rather have/use that vintage Goto than any modern equivelant. That old Goto smacks of QUALITY.

:)

Hmmmmm.....you can have my Super Polaris for it! :grin:

Yes, it does have that quality look, feel,...and definitely weight. I once read GOTO's primary competitor was Takahashi, their mounts do look similar. I thought of the GPD2, but the GOTO feels like it weighs more than the 18 odd pounds Vixen's D2 weighs. But maybe I'm just getting weak in my old age. Perhaps I should look at trying to fit a new scope to it....really long screws on rings :crazy:

#7 Steve_M_M

Steve_M_M

Gemini

Posted 29 July 2007 - 09:08 PM

Well, the Goto 106 mount weighs in at a hefty 21 lbs, minus CW's etc. The Vixen SP in Vixen green weighs in at 8 lbs. The Goto is about 6 inches taller too (8 inches in the picture, but I deducted 2 for no tripod hub on the Vixen). The Goto looks and feels substantially more robust.

It is so much different than anything sold today that I do not think there is a good comparison model. The Vixen GP-Dx probably is closest. But, the Goto mount is so much more "Stretched" to make it appear even bigger than the old Tak P2 mount which I had for a very long time and consider it a better mount than the Goto.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1746766-IMG_4522.JPG

#8 Steve_M_M

Steve_M_M

Gemini

Posted 29 July 2007 - 09:11 PM

The Old Takahashi P2 mount.....

Attached Thumbnails

• 1746776-IMG_2587.JPG

#9 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

• Vendors

Posted 29 July 2007 - 09:40 PM

Wow. Both the GOTO and the Tak are beautiful mounts. :bow:

I am envious. The Jaegers I am getting would look spectacular perched on one of those...! ;) :poke:

:lol:

#10 JanS

JanS

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 July 2007 - 05:03 PM

Well, the Goto 106 mount weighs in at a hefty 21 lbs, minus CW's etc. The Vixen SP in Vixen green weighs in at 8 lbs. The Goto is about 6 inches taller too (8 inches in the picture, but I deducted 2 for no tripod hub on the Vixen). The Goto looks and feels substantially more robust.

It is so much different than anything sold today that I do not think there is a good comparison model. The Vixen GP-Dx probably is closest. But, the Goto mount is so much more "Stretched" to make it appear even bigger than the old Tak P2 mount which I had for a very long time and consider it a better mount than the Goto.

Excellent comparison picture, thanks Steve. Yes, its the stretched aspect that was confounding my ability to find a comparison. Weighing in at a robust 21lbs, I wonder what its capacity is.... and whether the stretched aspect affects the balance of a different scope :question: By the way, your Tak mount looks niiiiice :cool:

#11 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

• Vendors

Posted 30 July 2007 - 05:32 PM

21 pounds! Wow.

They sure don't build them like they used to!

The Vixen SP is rated for about 15 pounds. I have heard of folks putting 20 pound OTAs on them, but the results are less than stellar.

Regards and clear skies,

MikeG

#12 Bonco

Bonco

Skylab

Posted 30 July 2007 - 06:34 PM

Geeze...If I keep seeing pictures like this, I'm going to be hooked on collecting mounts. Very nice pic's Steve, Thanks, Bonco

#13 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

• Vendors

Posted 30 July 2007 - 07:15 PM

I don't care what anyone says, and they can hurl vegetables at me for this, but here goes.

Nothing, I mean nothing, is built the way it was in the past.

Ok, I will qualify that statement.

They *do* make things with craftsmanship and attention to detail, but nowadays such things command truly astronomical prices. Case in point, my little 2" Pentax achro. That little scope probably sat in a Woolworth display case with a price tag of around $20 on it. In 1950's/1960's money, that was not cheap, but not astronomical either. Nowadays, a small scope with that level of quality is going to run a couple of hundred dollars or more. Exchange rate of "then money" versus "now money" notwithstanding. There was a time when almost any consumer good did not hit the retail shelves unless it would do a service to the consumer AND the company selling it. Companies CARED about their product and the consumer's perception of that item and the company who made it. Now, that is only true for "premium" or "high end" goods. At one you time you paid for quality, now you pay through the nose for it. Automobiles, appliances, clothing, you name it. The scopes we discuss in this forum are, by and large, leagues ahead of today's scopes in quality and workmanship.

Take Jan's Goto Kogaku for instance. Sure, that was an expensive scope back in it's day. But not as expensive as a scope of similar quality would run today, not nearly so.

The average working man could save some dollars from a few paychecks and purchase an item he could pass down to his grandkids, and those grandkids to their kids. Now, a working man must save entire paychecks for months to get an item of heirloom quality. It's sad. :(

That is why I am drawn to vintage gear. I am only 36 years old, and I am not drawn to these items for pure nostalgia value. I am drawn to their quality and craftsmanship. And thankfully, the gear market has not fully caught on to this fact, and bargains can still be had. I paid less than $50 for my Asahi-Pentax. I would not sell it for ten times that. If I did, I would not be able to find another without spending the entire $500.

[/hijack] [/rant]

My apologies to Jan for sending this thread off on a tangent!

Regards and clear classic skies,

MikeG

#14 BHunt

BHunt

Apollo

Posted 30 July 2007 - 08:48 PM

Wow Steve you have some nice stuff there!
Bill

#15 Steve_M_M

Steve_M_M

Gemini

Posted 31 July 2007 - 12:57 AM

Any guesses on what this is????

Attached Thumbnails

• 1749100-Sky Patrol I.JPG

#16 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

• Vendors

Posted 31 July 2007 - 06:53 AM

Steve....

I'll take a wild guess....

A mount you want to sell me dirt cheap? :lol: :poke:

:mrevil:

#17 JanS

JanS

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 31 July 2007 - 07:45 AM

Any guesses on what this is????

Hmmm...its got the GOTO colouring, but I'd really like to see that emblem imprinted into its side a little closer. Nice & compact tho....no idea actually. :shrug:

#18 JanS

JanS

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 31 July 2007 - 08:00 AM

In your GOTO/Vixen comparison photo you have a lovely white refractor on a wooden tripod. What's the mount if I might ask? :question:

#19 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 31 July 2007 - 08:16 AM

I'll guess its a Goto mount with a polar scope. Model #...I dunno. If your question isn't rhetorical, I can check my catalogs tonight and see if I can identify the package it came with. It looks newer, though...possible early 80s.

That's quite the mount collection, Sir! :bow: I wonder what my new Edmund mount is rated to carry? All I know is I can't hold it in one hand (barely with two!).

Keith

#20 Steve_M_M

Steve_M_M

Gemini

Posted 31 July 2007 - 11:35 AM

It was Rhetorical...

It is a Takahashi Original Sky Patrol mount, late 70's to about 1981 vintage.

Mike, it was interesting in that about 2 years ago one of these showed up on Ebay and sold, with tripod, for $1400.

It is the smallest, best built mount I have even seen.

The mount in the background of the comparison picture is another Vixen SP, just black rather than green.

Steve

#21 twhite

twhite

Vanguard

Posted 31 July 2007 - 01:46 PM

I would have said a Takahashi something had I seen this earlier. The knobs and the seal are dead giveaways.

Did anyone see that Tak Space Boy mount on eBay earlier in the week? Looks like about the same vintage as this one. I wasn't prepared to pay over $1000 for it, though. It may be worth it, however. I'm done buying mounts for a while, though, I think...

#22 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

• Vendors

Posted 31 July 2007 - 02:05 PM

Wow, that SpaceBoy is beautiful!

How come we don't hear more chatter about this older Tak stuff?

I love that look. :bow:

And Tak quality to boot.

#23 JanS

JanS

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 31 July 2007 - 02:48 PM

Mike, as far as I'm concerned its ok to rant on about quality & build going further and further down the tube as time moves on. Being in the automotive & retail industries, I completely agree, though I know its a very complicated issue involving reduced disposable incomes, poorer quality controls, inflation, etc. But its all too true, many things are not made the way they used to be - but some are more efficient, some are less expensive to operate.
But you guys do make a good point, I doubt I could find a better mount for even a vaguely reasonable amount. With an extendable wooden tripod, and adapting a dovetail mount plate, this mount would be rock-solid for any 6" newt (or maybe even 8") I'd put on it - and it would work smoothly for years to come. Sorry Steve, I think you guys are starting to change my mind about selling - I may need a bigger picture of that strip-down tho :rainbow:

#24 BHunt

BHunt

Apollo

Posted 31 July 2007 - 07:08 PM

Steve where did you get all that great equipment? Was it an accumulation over the years?
Bill

#25 Steve_M_M

Steve_M_M

Gemini

Posted 31 July 2007 - 08:02 PM

Most of it is from when Ebay started up. That Tak mount was listed in the title as "mount". There was 1 picture from about 20 ft away. The seller knew nothing and would not take more pictures. The ad did not say "takahashi" and the label was not visible. I analyzed it for days until I was pretty sure it was an original Tak Sky Patrol-very rare here in the states.

So, it is mostly just luck and an obsession with finding unusual items.

Steve

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics