•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

List of Paracorr settings for all brands of EP's

• Please log in to reply
257 replies to this topic

#226 sopticals

sopticals

Apollo

• Loc: New Zealand

Posted 03 June 2016 - 06:30 PM

Hi Don,

was observing Mars and Saturn last night through my 14"f5.1 dob, without Paracorr. Comparing 13T6N to the 8.8 Meade.

The Meade required around 5-7mm (approx) in focus more. Didn't get around to using the 14 Meade, (I'm probably going to sell this one, as the 13T6 makes it redundant anyway).

Been doing a bit of research and think I've a "handle" on the required settings for 20T2N and others I will be using. I know the settings for the current production TV's.

Stephen.(45deg.S.)

#227 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 03 June 2016 - 07:37 PM

The 20T2 is parfocal to the 35 Panoptic per Jon Isaacs.

The 35 Panoptic uses setting G on the Paracorr II.

But since you have a 13T6, you needn't ask the Paracorr setting for any eyepiece.

Focus that eyepiece in the Paracorr at its correct setting.

Then, pull your 13T6 and adapter put of the Paracorr and insert the 20mm T2.

Focus using the tunable top.  Look at the setting.  That's the correct setting for the 20mm T2.

You can do that with any eyepiece from any maker.

You only have to have 1 eyepiece for which you know the setting.

All other eyepieces follow.

This is an incredibly long thread concerning the settings for this and that eyepiece.

But it needn't be a long thread at all if just ONE eyepiece you own has a known setting.

• photiost and sopticals like this

#228 Starman81

Starman81

Soyuz

• Moderators
  • Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA

Posted 23 August 2016 - 04:09 PM

Explore Scientific 92° 17mm: Setting D (ParaCorr Type 2)

#229 eklf

eklf

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Carrboro, NC

Posted 11 September 2016 - 06:26 PM

I recently acquired a Type 1 paracorr for a recently acquired Z12.  I dont have any televue pieces in my stable (a lone nagler T4 was sold to offset the cost of Z12).  

May I request if someone could report the Paracorr setting for anyone of the following eyepieces:  Lunt 20mm XWA (100* FOV), LVW 22mm or LVW 13mm.

My other eyepieces are Meade 40mm Plossl series 5k, Burgess/TMB planetery 7mm and Zhumell 8-24 zoom.  A setting of any one of these would also help to prime the paracorr.

Thanks!

Kumar

#230 Starman1

Starman1

• Vendors

Posted 11 September 2016 - 06:41 PM

Kumar,

You can do a good job of setting the Paracorr yourself.

Take your 22mm LVW eyepiece and set the Paracorr's top to maximum out (setting 1 on the old Paracorr).  Use it as a 1.25" eyepiece for this purpose, I think.

Focus the scope and look at the edge of the field.

If you see no coma and the star images are perfectly round little points, you have the perfect setting and all other eyepieces follow from that.

If you DO still see coma, try the next position in on the Paracorr top, focus the scope, and look at the edge.

If you see no coma and the star images are perfectly round little points, you have the perfect setting and all other eyepieces follow from that.

But if you DO still see coma, go one more position in and try again.

One of the positions will show the least coma at the edge and the best stars.

Once you have determined what the correct setting is, write it down.

For every other eyepiece, insert it in the Paracorr and focus using the tunable top.  The setting you see when in focus is the correct setting for that eyepiece.

Write each one down so you can "pre-dial" that setting before inserting the eyepiece the next time.

You'll still need a millimeter or two of focuser travel once you do that.

If you have an eyepiece that needs the top to move out further, you can add a barrel extender and a parfocalizing ring to that eyepiece to keep it parfocal.

If you have an eyepiece that needs more in travel of the tunable top, just use the in-most setting and refocus using the focuser.

That would be the case with the 31mm Nagler, and 21 and 17mm Ethos.  And, potentially, other eyepieces.

On those, the coma correction won't be perfect, but it will be 95% of the way there.

• Jim Davenport likes this

#231 eklf

eklf

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Carrboro, NC

Posted 11 September 2016 - 08:33 PM

Don,

Thank you so very much for your detailed response. It is much appreciated.

I had read your other posts on this subject and I tried the same procedure, but in reverse order.  I began with the innermost setting and tested the coma correction at each setting further out (using the focuser for the best focus).  It seemed that the settings 1 and 2 were rather similar with good correction and 4 and 5 detectably worse.  I was not quite sure, in this case, which would be the correct setting - 1, 2 or 3.  That seemed quite a range.

It just occured to me that I should probably try the Lunt 20mm XWA as a more robust test for coma correction.  The 65 degree field of 22mm LVW may not have been the ideal candidate in a f/5 scope.  The 40mm Meade plossl could have been a good candidate too, but the outer edges are quite astigmatic precluding a good test for coma correction. 

I will try out your suggestion -starting with outer most position first and then travelling inwards.

Thank you for taking the time and making the suggestion - as always they are tremendously helpful.

Best,

Kumar

• Galosimo likes this

#232 miguel gonzalez

miguel gonzalez

Explorer 1

• Loc: Cadiz-Spain

Posted 12 September 2016 - 04:35 AM

Hi all..

I want to thank all the people who write in this forum .

I have Paracorr type 1 and several eyepieces TV. I also have a Docter/Zeiss UWA 12.5 mm.

Last night I tried this ep settings. It needs adapter 1.25 "to 2" with Paracorr.
First I set my Pan35 and then I put the DZ with adapter.

The correct setting is number 4.

Edited by miguel gonzalez, 12 September 2016 - 04:42 AM.

#233 tag1260

tag1260

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Ohio, USA

Posted 26 February 2017 - 12:34 PM

Has anyone actually made a list of settings by eyepiece and Paracorr model?  I have a full set of ES 82's and was wondering if you find that once you have a setting for one, will the series generally follow the same setting? Thanks

Edited by tag1260, 26 February 2017 - 12:34 PM.

#234 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

Posted 26 February 2017 - 01:32 PM

I quickly and not completely put together a Google Sheet with several of the main brands and their Paracorr Type 1 and Type 2 settings based on findings in the forum and TeleVue for the Type 2.  Here is the LINK and if you want the URL.  

https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

It is open to editing and I simply ask that it is kept clean and accurate. If you want to add brands or other eyepiece lines  that is fine as long as you add them in a new sheet/tab and follow the format I laid out. Feel free to fill in the settings I haven't done (love the share edit feature of the sheet!) as I only did the Type 2 mainly as that is what I own and use. I hope this might make it easier to both view settings and have people edit the doc to how they want, copy it if they want their own working copy etc.  

• photiost and jtrezzo like this

#235 Starman1

Starman1

• Vendors

Posted 26 February 2017 - 02:54 PM

Has anyone actually made a list of settings by eyepiece and Paracorr model?  I have a full set of ES 82's and was wondering if you find that once you have a setting for one, will the series generally follow the same setting? Thanks

OK, it's really easy.

1) Settings on the Paracorr are 0.1" apart.

2) if the focal plane of the eyepiece is below the "shoulder" of the eyepiece, you need to dial out the tunable top by the distance, i.e. if the eyepiece's focal plane is 

0.3" below the shoulder, use a setting 0.3" farther out.

3) The "0" point of the Paracorr is setting "E", so you can move IN 0.4" to setting A or move OUT 0.3" to setting H

Now you have it, I attach a list of the Explore Scientific eyepieces with focal plane positions.  It's the next to the last column.

If the focal plane is BELOW the shoulder, the numbers are positive, so use the Paracorr setting that is that distance ABOVE the E setting.

For instance, a field stop listed as +3.0mm would use setting E + 0.12", or slightly above setting F (which is 0.1" above E)

A field stop listed as -15.20mm means the Paracorr would have to move in 0.6" from setting E.  Since you can only move the Paracorr in by 0.4", that eyepiece will not be able to be optimized

since it requires a Paracorr setting farther in than the tunable top allows.

1.25" eyepieces will use the Paracorr-provided adapter, while 2" eyepieces will not.

Since the adapter lifts the eyepiece 10.5mm out of the tunable top, the eyepiece starts out 0.41" above the tunable top.

You will have to compensate for that height.  Hence, a 1.25" eyepiece with a focal plane setting of +3.00mm  would actually use a setting of 3.00 - 10.5mm = -7.5mm (-0.30"), which is setting B on the Paracorr.

So it looks like the settings for the 82° ES eyepieces are:

4.7, 6.7, 8.8, 11, and 14mm--setting B, all using the Paracorr adapter.

18mm, 24mm, 30mm--setting F (plus a tiny amount)

There is a way to verify that.  Start with any one of the eyepieces in its calculated proper position and lock the focuser.  Insert any other eyepiece and focus it using the tunable top.  Whatever setting results, THAT is the correct setting for that eyepiece.  That means you only ever have to know the correct position for one eyepiece and all other eyepieces of all other brands follow from that.

The above calculations apply to the Paracorr II, not the Paracorr 1.  I don't have the equivalent positions for that one.

Attached Files

• Jim Davenport and Hoagect like this

#236 rowdy388

rowdy388

Soyuz

• Loc: Saratoga County, NY

Posted 31 March 2017 - 10:37 AM

Explore Scientific 92° 17mm: Setting D (ParaCorr Type 2)

Explore Scientific 92 17mm with Paracorr type 1: setting 3

#237 Phillip Creed

Phillip Creed

Idiot Seeking Village

• Loc: Canal Fulton, OH

Posted 15 April 2017 - 01:41 PM

Baader Mark IV Zoom eyepiece in 2"-mode:

Paracorr Type 1:  Setting 4.6 (24mm setting) to 4.9 (8mm setting); 4.75 best overall spot.  Setting it at 5 (innermost setting) would be close enough.

Paracorr Type 2:  Setting C

When primed with a 12mm Delos at Paracorr-1 setting 4, BZ-MK4 would not come to focus in 1.25"-mode using just tunable top due to insufficient in-focus on the Paracorr-1

Clear Skies,

Phil

• rowdy388 likes this

#238 hakann

hakann

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 16 April 2017 - 09:59 AM

Some info I collected on subject ;

I measured my TV paracorr 2, and it is 45.60 mm from lense to shoulder at setting A.

From TV it is told focus point is 56 mm from lense.

The total adjustments is 0.7" or 17.78 mm. ( setting A-H, so each step is 0.1" or 2.54 mm )

-Note. Whatever this will be correct or not vs best coma, need to be tested out.

This is info from TV.

# Ethos 21 mm whit 2" barrel is told from TV to be at setting A.

That EP has a measure at ( -0.38" ) or 9.65 mm above shoulder.

45.60 + 9.65is = 55.25 mm.

So it need to be turned out 0.75 mm.

# Ethos 17 mm whit 2" barrel has is also told to be at setting A and has ( -0.39" ) or 9.90 mm above shoulder. 

45.6 + 9.90 = 55.50 mm.

So it need to be turned out 0.5 mm.

# Ethos 10 & 13 mm whit 2" barrel is told from TV to be at setting H.
Thoose EP has a measure at ( 0.27" ) or 6.85 mm belove the shoulder.
45.60 + 17.78 - 6.85 is = 56.53 mm.
So it need to be turned in 0.53 mm.

( I personally don't like the paracorr at setting H, as design is weak ( sag )

# Ethos 6 & 8 mm whit 2" ( 1.25" ) barrel has no info from TV regards the 2" barrels.
Thoose EP has a measure at ( 0.7" ) or 17.78 mm belove the shoulder.

​I use a TV extender barrel ring at 30.5 mm and has a stop-ring at 10.4* mm and use setting H.
45.60 + 17.78 - 17.78 + 10.40* is = 56 mm.

# Ethos 3.7 & 4.7 mm whit 2" barrel is told from TV to be at setting H.
Thoose EP has a measure at ( 0.25" ) or 6.35 mm belove the shoulder.
​45.60 + 17.78 - 6.35 is = 57.03 mm.

So it need to be turned in 1.03 mm.

# Nikon 17 mm HW whit 2" barrel has focus point 10 mm below the shoulder. 

​At setting A and add a stop-ring ar 20.4* mm.

​45.6 + 20.4* -10 = 56 mm.

( there will be no room for the barlow lense to get the EP be a 14 mm, as it are placed in the bottom of barrel and are 10 mm thick )

As I don't like the design of the turned top I work now on a new idea.

​All EP has different barrel diameter ( many under 50.75 mm ) and the inner diameter of my top is at 50.92 mm.

​That alone cause sag. Rotate design cause sag.

Then the thread from top to lense package is very loose. So if one take it off/on it will be out of roundness.

I will machine a adapter that has cloose to zero clearance from EP into adapter.

​This one will make up the 56 mm from lense to EP focal point.

​Then I screw it on at the lense package.

This mean EP will be parafocal and no sag.

Only thing I don't like is weight is hang on the lense package.

My next construction will be a corrector like the SIPS style.

-Way better.

#239 hakann

hakann

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 16 April 2017 - 06:28 PM

I’ll just finished up my new adaptor that are to be used in Australia at the Oz Sky Safari next week.

This replace the rotable top, and I use the paracorr 2" P2 lense and this adaptor is designed to fit the Nikon 17 mm wf EP.
Distance from lense to EP focus pt is 56 mm, according from TV data.

I has perfect run-out and I has 0.01mm clearance from EP barrel to the ID diameter.
This is a solid piece in 7075 and stiff and straight and only some grams more than the rotatable top.

Ok on this design to change EP one need to thread it off. But it is only 2.5 threads or 3 turns ( M65 x1 )

Just see the design here on the paracorr 2, is to hold a hand on the paracorr tube lence and feel the weight and lengths talking..
Bad tolerance is not ok here on faster scops.

I used a machined step on the tube plane, so i made a centreing diameter on that.
I also made the thread way tighter now.
The TV design has a rather loose thread and nothing stering it up, but it go on bottom plane.

-This mean the rotatable top can’t get centre on lense package.
I checked this now on V-blocks and run-out was near perfect, and std is around 0.2 mm off-centre.

This is just a test, but it would work in reality to has all EP whit a adapter like this.
Al it takes is 3 turns to thread it is off.
But my real ( next ) design will be different, as corrector lense will not has all weight added on it.

It will be like the SIPS design.
The EP will has adaptors be parafocal and a thtresd and a centering duameter and a cone.
Fast - accurate and totally sag-free ( lash-free )

Attached Thumbnails

• P2ADP1.jpeg
  • P2ADT2.jpeg
  • P2ADT3.jpeg

Edited by hakann, 17 April 2017 - 06:24 PM.

• denis0007dl likes this

#240 hakann

hakann

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 01 May 2017 - 12:47 PM

I used the Nikon 17 mm on this new idea set-up adaptor at Oz Sky 'Southern-sky' last week and used the TV setting of 56 mm from lense.

It did work great in a 14" SDL scope whit a Zambuto f/5.5 and Obsession 18" f/4.5.

I tested my set-up now on V-blocks ( coma lense is on 2 V-blocks and a dial indicator at the end on the EP.
Whit the Nikon EP on the run-out was 0.02 mm at the end of the EP.
NOTE ; This is 150 mm from V-block attach point.

I then took the coma lense on the TV rotatable top and had it at setting H and installed a Ethos 13 mm, and run-out was = over 0.5 mm. ( +0.2" )
( 150 mm from V-block attach point )

I will now make this adaptor in 2 piece. ( as I don't like to thread off/on vs change EP direct on lense.
( this was just a first test )
The first adaptor will be mounted on the lense permanently and the next adaptor will be the one the EP.
This will has a steering in smaller step diameter and I will use 2.5 threads ( 1 mm )
Above thread it will be a steering step diameter ( vs zero run-out )

To make this I must has each EP diameter, so I can has + 0.01 mm from barrel to the inner diameter on the adapter.

That will make it zero run-out 'almost',  and easy and fast to change EP in the night and all parafocal.

-A way improvement from the rolled top idea and loose fit ID vs OD diameter and screws.

Edited by hakann, 01 May 2017 - 12:53 PM.

• Starman1 likes this

#241 scarubia

scarubia

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Toronto, Canada.

Posted 26 May 2017 - 05:53 PM

Cool!

#242 gatorengineer

gatorengineer

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Hellertown, PA

Posted 03 September 2017 - 11:23 AM

Any one know the setting for the 12MM Explore 92MM LER?  I assume its the same as the 17 at setting D?

#243 Starman1

Starman1

• Vendors

Posted 03 September 2017 - 01:31 PM

OK, if you have a Paracorr, you don't have to ask.

If you have ANY other eyepiece whose position in the Paracorr you have optimized, and I'd bet you do, simply focus that eyepiece with the Paracorr in place,

then insert the new eyepiece and focus it using the tunable top.  Look at the setting on the side of the Paracorr--that's the correct setting for that eyepiece.

If you have even ONE eyepiece whose optimum position has been established, EVERY other eyepiece's perfect position can be found that way.

Everyone keeps asking what the optimum position is for this or that eyepiece, when it can be found in seconds without guessing.

The only issue might be if you do not have any TeleVue eyepieces and you have to start from scratch.

In that case, start with the Paracorr in its out-most setting, insert the eyepice and focus.  Look at the edge.  Still coma?  Move the Paracorr top in one position, focus, and

look at the edge of the field again.  Once, by experiment, you have found the optimum setting for that eyepiece--the one that yields no coma at the edge of the field,

then lock the focuser and find the optimum position for every other eyepiece you have by bringing it to focus using the Tunable Top on the Paracorr.

Record all the settings and you'll be able to pre-dial that setting the next time you insert the eyepiece.  You may still have to move the focuser a millimeter, but, basically,

you will have used the Tunable Top to par-focalize all your eyepieces AND optimize the com correction with each one.

Buy any new eyepiece and simply repeat to find its optimum position.  It isn't necessary to know the optimum position for any eyepiece before you buy it.

#244 Endymion

Endymion

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 27 September 2017 - 08:33 PM

Paracorr type 1 primed with tv ethos 17mm.:

Explore Scientific 40mm 68 degree  - Setting 1

Celestron Luminos 23 mm - Setting 1

Celestron Ultima Duo 13 mm - Setting 4.8

Televue Delos 8mm - Setting 2.3

#245 Starman1

Starman1

• Vendors

Posted 27 September 2017 - 10:57 PM

The Paracorr 1 does not have an exact setting for the 17mm Ethos, which really needs to be 1/8" closer to the lens,

so the 17mm Ethos wasn't the best choice of an eyepiece to start with ("prime the Paracorr") since refocusing the top to match will result in every other eyepiece also being  too far out from the lens.

Starting with the Delos would have made sense, since it uses setting 4 when used as a 1.25" eyepiece with the original Paracorr adapter.

On the original instructions for the Paracorr 1, 1 was the highest position and 5 the lowest.

It is the next-to-the-bottom setting that is the setting needed for the 8 Delos.

Then you can dial in the other settings.

You'll find the Paracorr top bottoms out before the 17 Ethos is is focus.  That's alright.  Just focus it with the focuser after setting the Paracorr top on the in-most setting (setting 5).

• photiost likes this

#246 Endymion

Endymion

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 07 October 2017 - 01:18 AM

The Paracorr 1 does not have an exact setting for the 17mm Ethos, which really needs to be 1/8" closer to the lens,

so the 17mm Ethos wasn't the best choice of an eyepiece to start with ("prime the Paracorr") since refocusing the top to match will result in every other eyepiece also being  too far out from the lens.

Starting with the Delos would have made sense, since it uses setting 4 when used as a 1.25" eyepiece with the original Paracorr adapter.

On the original instructions for the Paracorr 1, 1 was the highest position and 5 the lowest.

It is the next-to-the-bottom setting that is the setting needed for the 8 Delos.

Then you can dial in the other settings.

You'll find the Paracorr top bottoms out before the 17 Ethos is is focus.  That's alright.  Just focus it with the focuser after setting the Paracorr top on the in-most setting (setting 5).

Thanks for the correction.  Televue's manual for the paracorr 1 shows 17mm ethos at setting 5; I took them at their word.  Not sure how I would have known that the Delos makes more sense; it's not even listed in their manual.  I just acquired an Ethos 21mm; is the setting 5 from their manual correct for that eyepiece?

#247 Starman1

Starman1

• Vendors

Posted 07 October 2017 - 09:27 AM

Yes.  The 21mm Ethos, 17mm Ethos and 31mm Nagler all use setting 5 (all the way down) on the Paracorr 1.

However, that is the closest to the lens each of them can get.  They all really need a setting 6, which doesn't exist.

What you'll discover, though, is that when 99.5% of the coma is removed, it's still pretty darn good.

The 22mm T4 Nagler uses setting 5 as well, but for that eyepiece, setting 5 IS optimal, so that one could be used to set the top for all

other eyepieces.  It actually uses one setting higher than those others on the Paracorr II.

The "dialing in the focus" process follows for all other eyepieces once you have the Paracorr set at the right location in the light cone of the scope.

That is most easily achieved by using an eyepiece that has an optimized setting and focusing every other eyepiece with the Paracorr top.

But the eyepiece you start with should be one that is optimized in its position.

The Paracorr 1 was designed before there was a 31mm Nagler or 21mm and 17mm Ethos, in the late '80s.

#248 hakann

hakann

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:19 PM

I showed before my adaptor for the Nikon HW 17 mm EP whit the paracorr II adopted at the distance 56 mm.

I had it ok vs the ECI 14 MM, but I was 10 mm from TV distance on the 17 mm but it did work great anyway on a f/4.5-5.0.

It was a test and even if it is near dead-on out of roundness, it is not a great idea to thread it off in the night change EP.
But I could improved it so it was faster.
But one negative issue is the hole weight is hanging on the coma corrector tube ( as the TV std PII design = I don’t like that )

I has drawed up a new focuser ( zero-sag ) that will be used on upcoming fast 25", but on my 18" now I has a Moonlite focuser, so I was working out a idea for that one.
My idea is to be zero sag, or in this case as the best the focuser can do.

I will make a new drawtube for the Moonlite focuser body. ( ID 2” )
Lengths will be 75 mm long as the TV PII coma corrector.
The flange on the drawtube whit the thread is 9.6 mm wide as std from Moonlite.
I will do a M68 x 1 mm thread and a cylindrical steering.
The cylindrical steering go into a plano bottom, so even at only 1/2 or 1 thread it will be stiff to hold the weight on the eyepiece.
( I don’t want more turns vs to change EP fast and I don’t need more )
It will also be a open steering before the thread starts, to have it easy to find the hole in the dark.
This will be exact in-line and way better than the rotating top and very fast to use and switch in the night and parafocal EP’s
And no weight added on the coma corrector as the std design.

I will make parafocal adaptors at Televue’s 56 mm distance for each EP ( PII lens to EP focus pt )
I make the adaptors at zero tolerance for the barrel diameter TV made. ( 2 stop screws hold it also and so heat before mount it on the EP barrel )

Yellow   = Eyepiece.
White    = EP adaptor.
Green    = P2 lens.
Pink      = Drawtube.
Red       = Focuser body.

I can use the 2” ID hole in drawtube for CatEye Autocollimator or the Glatter Parallizer and use Glatters 1.25” laser/tublug.

-What do you guys think of this idea ?

Attached Thumbnails

• NYIDE1.JPG

Edited by hakann, 14 November 2017 - 03:22 PM.

#249 faackanders2

faackanders2

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 29 March 2018 - 06:45 PM

Some info I collected on subject ;

I measured my TV paracorr 2, and it is 45.60 mm from lense to shoulder at setting A.

From TV it is told focus point is 56 mm from lense.

The total adjustments is 0.7" or 17.78 mm. ( setting A-H, so each step is 0.1" or 2.54 mm )

-Note. Whatever this will be correct or not vs best coma, need to be tested out.
This is info from TV.

# Nikon 17 mm HW whit 2" barrel has focus point 10 mm below the shoulder. 
​At setting A and add a stop-ring ar 20.4* mm.
​45.6 + 20.4* -10 = 56 mm.
( there will be no room for the barlow lense to get the EP be a 14 mm, as it are placed in the bottom of barrel and are 10 mm thick )

As I don't like the design of the turned top I work now on a new idea.
​All EP has different barrel diameter ( many under 50.75 mm ) and the inner diameter of my top is at 50.92 mm.
​That alone cause sag. Rotate design cause sag.
Then the thread from top to lense package is very loose. So if one take it off/on it will be out of roundness.

I will machine a adapter that has cloose to zero clearance from EP into adapter.
​This one will make up the 56 mm from lense to EP focal point.
​Then I screw it on at the lense package.
This mean EP will be parafocal and no sag.

Only thing I don't like is weight is hang on the lense package.

My next construction will be a corrector like the SIPS style.
-Way better.

For the Nikon 17 HW w/o and w/ EIC14 I use Paracorr II setting II.
I used the space the first day with 17mm w/o EIC but I recal I needed more infocus for the EIC 14, so I have put the spacer away and no longer use it and am able to focus in both 17mm and 14mm modes.

#250 faackanders2

faackanders2

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 29 March 2018 - 07:02 PM

I quickly and not completely put together a Google Sheet with several of the main brands and their Paracorr Type 1 and Type 2 settings based on findings in the forum and TeleVue for the Type 2.  Here is the LINK and if you want the URL.  

https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

It is open to editing and I simply ask that it is kept clean and accurate. If you want to add brands or other eyepiece lines  that is fine as long as you add them in a new sheet/tab and follow the format I laid out. Feel free to fill in the settings I haven't done (love the share edit feature of the sheet!) as I only did the Type 2 mainly as that is what I own and use. I hope this might make it easier to both view settings and have people edit the doc to how they want, copy it if they want their own working copy etc.

I noticed you recommend Paracorr II setting C for ES 20mm 100 AFOV (whereas I have been using setting H full up).

I would like to know the settings for all the ES 100 Afov, Meade 5000 UWA 82 AFOV, Meade 4000 UWA 84 AFOV, and University Optics 40mm 70Afov MK-70 Koenig.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics