•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Compact roof binoculars: $500-$700 range?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
180 replies to this topic

#176 hallelujah

hallelujah

Cosmos

Posted 22 October 2007 - 09:39 PM

Everyone,

Earlier I mentioned that the Katmai 6x32mm was not as sharp as the Minox BD 8x44 BP, and, in another post, for the Fujinon 7x42mm CD, I mentioned that the Katmai 6x was giving me eye strain in my left eye.

I sent the Katmai in to the Leupold Service Dept. for a check-up, and in eleven working days they sent back another brand new replacement, under warranty. (Just got it this evening)

Hopefully that will take care of the eye strain and the sharpness problem.

Just thought I would let you know about the excellent warranty service and the turn-around time. :waytogo:

#177 davidmcharg

davidmcharg

Vostok 1

Posted 23 October 2007 - 03:25 AM

Over the years i have used many many binoculars but a few years ago i picked up a pair of Zeiss B/GA T* ClassiC 8x30 and they are simply a stunning small pair of binoculars. For bird watching, walking, traveling you name it i always reach for this little pair of binoculars.

#178 hallelujah

hallelujah

Cosmos

Posted 04 November 2007 - 05:11 PM

Just a very brief comment...
The new binocular that we received is much better, as far as the eye strain is concerned, although, I can still feel very slight discomfort in my left eye when using it. Possibly it is something inherent in this make and model. Since it is my wife's binocular, and she has no problem with eye strain, it is a minor point at this time.

The sharpness is very good, but, still not as good at the Fujinon 7x42mm CD.

As a male with somewhat large hands the compact Leupold Katmai is easy to use but still on the small side.

Even the Fujinon CD is smaller in my hands than anything else that I own.

(I think that this is "one" of the reasons for my liking porro prism binoculars so much, they fill the hands nicely, and give more to hold on to, which helps to dampen and minimize handshake for me).

Of the two, I definitely prefer the Fujinon CD best overall. :grin:

#179 orbitaljump

orbitaljump

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 29 November 2008 - 01:03 AM

Its unfortunate that Leupold didnt produce a Gold Ring 9x35 CenterFocus porro.

**** SHAME!

#180 Steph1001

Steph1001

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 29 November 2008 - 07:12 AM

I have a Zeiss Victory 10x25 and it has been by far my most used binocular since I purchased it, stunning optics, wonderful collimation, built to last forever and a cracking design, they really feel special.I know what they are designed for: daylight observation, full stop.
There is a very big gap in bulk/weight between true compact in the 20-25mm range and the bigger 30-32mm binoculars.I own a pair of Pentax 8x32 DCF SP and I would never call them compact.I have also used a Zeiss Classic 8x30 and it is not exactly something I would put in my pocket...
Not sure if the new ultravid 8x20 or 8x25 are any better than their Zeiss or Nikon equivalent but trust me a top compact binocular is a wonderful optical instrument.
I hope this helps.
St├ęphane

#181 orbitaljump

orbitaljump

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 29 November 2008 - 12:33 PM

I really cant get excited about the expensive compacts.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics