•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Backyard Observatories Custom Built Observatory

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
37 replies to this topic

#1 asaint

asaint

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 26 August 2007 - 06:36 AM

Backyard Observatories

#2 Joel

Joel

Gemini

Posted 26 August 2007 - 12:28 PM

Nice article Erika! Thanks for sharing.

#3 Tom T

Tom T

A Father, A Teacher, A Pioneer

• In Memoriam

Posted 26 August 2007 - 04:56 PM

Wonderful Erika!

Thank you.

T

#4 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 26 August 2007 - 06:48 PM

thanks for the images

my observatory is my most impartant accessory

edj

#5 Erix

Erix

Toad Lily

Posted 26 August 2007 - 08:16 PM

Thank you, Gentlemen. It was such a great experience. Paul told Scott what we needed and Scott took care of it from there.

Scott, Diane and the kids came over for a visit before we moved into the new house. After a walk around the property, it didn't take long for Diane to choose the perfect spot. I remember Scott smiling and said she had an eye for these things.

I still want to make a placard to hang up for remembrance of Nanny and Bampy (Pauline and Charles). And the stone steps need to be put in on the hillside, as well as a little path leading past the door to the observatory and the little seating area I created under the spot that the roof rolls over. Gradually, I am filling in beds around the observatory as time permits. It's looking pretty, but this time next year, it should be beautiful.

Paul and I built shelves inside it and I have my side of the observatory just about as handy as can be for my needs.

We've got several signatures inside it now by astronomy friends that have visited, observed, or simply taken the grand tour.

And I still love that first view overlooking the farmland spread out in front of us when I roll the roof off and drop the south wall down. I need to start recording how many people drive by and wave, after nearly running into the ditch when they see me peering over the wall with my binoculars or sketch pad in hand, telescopes peeping over my shoulder. I give them a big smile regardless if they can see that far away or not, and my arm shoots up in the air as I wave back.

Here's my side of the observatory.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1802379-20070810-a.jpg

#6 Erix

Erix

Toad Lily

Posted 26 August 2007 - 08:17 PM

The other quarter of my side. LOL

Attached Thumbnails

• 1802382-20070810-c.jpg

#7 Erix

Erix

Toad Lily

Posted 26 August 2007 - 08:19 PM

Here's Paul's side. I think my side looks nicer. :grin:

Attached Thumbnails

• 1802390-20070810-d.jpg

#8 Erix

Erix

Toad Lily

Posted 26 August 2007 - 08:23 PM

Maybe it's because my scope is prettier than his. :lol:

Awesome Lenny made my solar shield for me. And lindasky1 (our awesome sketching team, Linda and Roland Beard) left her easel for me when they visited.

The LXD75 came from Lenny too. The Maxscope came from Gary Gibbs (Halfmeter). Big John the truss we got from our John Crilly and found out the original owner was Andy (Droid). The LX200 came from Astrojim of CN. That's not even mentioning all the other extras we have that we either swapped with, purchased, or were very kindly given by other friends that we met on CN.

I honestly have to sit here in amazement at Paul and my good fortune to have stumbled onto CN a few years ago. It permitted us to meet so many people and strike up such wonderful friendships.

A dream that might never have happened...our own observatory.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1802397-20070810-b.jpg

#9 Tom T

Tom T

A Father, A Teacher, A Pioneer

• In Memoriam

Posted 26 August 2007 - 09:04 PM

We've got several signatures inside it now by astronomy friends that have visited, observed, or simply taken the grand tour.

What a wonderful idea!

T

#10 nikonmanak

nikonmanak

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 26 August 2007 - 11:31 PM

Great set up Erika,i to hope to be able some day to let Scott of BYO build my own roll-off observayory when i get the funds.I hope to build the 11'6'' by 11'6'' seems like the right size for me.I wish you the best of luck dark clear skys to you Alan.

#11 antilles72

antilles72

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 27 August 2007 - 12:03 AM

What a great story Erika. Very well written.

#12 LateViewer

LateViewer

Apollo

Posted 27 August 2007 - 04:35 AM

That is a really nice set up. A dual telescope observatory is the way to go. My wife Cheryl and I have been working around on the house this weekend and talking about an observatory. Your project added to our discussion.

Congratulations

Al

#13 Erix

Erix

Toad Lily

Posted 27 August 2007 - 08:45 AM

Thank you, everyone. I hope it will help answer some questions for anyone looking to build or have one built. Having BYO out was just about as easy as it could possibly be.

Best accessory for your scopes? Absolutely!

Al, I really enjoy observing with the family (meaning Paul and the critters). Paul's laptop gets a little bright at times, but he does a good job working with me on keeping the light at a minimum so that I can search for the faint fuzzies. And if I'm doing lunar or planetary, well the extra light just isn't a problem at all. And besides that, it's worth a little light pollution to have him out there with me. I love being able to talk to him about the objects we're viewing, while viewing. And we usually end up stopping what we're doing to take a look at what the other is doing.

Of course, I often get to observe all by myself too, just as Paul does. And that's nice as well.

#14 RRaubach

RRaubach

AstroCowboy

Posted 27 August 2007 - 03:06 PM

A very nice testimonial to Backyard Observatories! Scott built mine about 15 months ago, and I'm still quite pleased with it.

#15 Awesomelenny

Awesomelenny

Skylab

Posted 27 August 2007 - 03:20 PM

Erika,

This story is absolutely wonderful reading. I too enjoy my 2nd home away from home right in my own back yard too! You also have the location with a very serene natural view of the Ohio Valley's rich countryside!

#16 ArizonaScott

ArizonaScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 27 August 2007 - 04:26 PM

What a great report, and beautiful pics! Gee, that place sure looks familiar ;) The view of the surrounding farmland is just awesome :)

#17 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama & Gold Star Award Winner

• Moderators

Posted 27 August 2007 - 07:41 PM

Erika: Congratulations on a wonderful report on BackYard Observatories! It is so heartwarming that you will be putting your beloved Grandparents photos in there, what a wonderful tribute to them!

Thanks so much for sharing this special time in your life with us!

Carol

#18 Erix

Erix

Toad Lily

Posted 28 August 2007 - 08:25 AM

Thanks, everyone. Scott and the crew's work speaks for itself and Paul and I were fortunate to be on the receiving end of the project.

Scott, next time you come out this way, we've got to actually observe. Seems we do everything else but. :lol:

#19 ArizonaScott

ArizonaScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 28 August 2007 - 09:03 AM

Well, the kids and I observed cows, birds, dogs, cats, and YOU :grin:

#20 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

Posted 28 August 2007 - 09:39 AM

Great photo documentary Erika!

I couldn't have done it better! And it would doubtless be shameless "vendor pandering" if I wrote another "BYO are great" article... even thought they are!

It has changed my viewing life, quite literally... Now I can squeeze in a fun 20 minutes or hour or so here/there... and not worry about setup or teardown!

We're painting ours now to match the house.

Again, great writeup!

Clear Skies

#21 half meter

half meter

Voyager 1

Posted 28 August 2007 - 10:09 AM

Wonderful article, Erika!

Moving out of the city laid the groundwork for your getting this 'mandatory accessory'. I'm actively looking for property an hour or two away from home that's suitable for building a BYO observatory right now. In the meantime, I'd sure like to see your setup in person. That would also mean I'd be seeing you and Paul again! :cool:

#22 RRaubach

RRaubach

AstroCowboy

Posted 28 August 2007 - 11:21 AM

After Scottcompleted my BYO, we had a marvelous observing session; SQM reading was 21.92! Scott couldn't find the Hercules *Keystone*, cause there were too many stars and several similar asterisms. We had about 3 hours with the TMB 203 f/7.

#23 Scott Horstman

Scott Horstman

Vendor - Backyard Observatories

• Vendors

Posted 28 August 2007 - 12:50 PM

I remember it well Rodger. I often tell of your place and some of the darkest skies I've had the pleasure to experience.

Thanks for the article Erika! I hope the observatory serves you and Paul well for many years to come! :bow:

#24 desertstars

desertstars

ISS

Posted 28 August 2007 - 01:22 PM

What a wonderful idea!

T

Here's hoping for well decorated observatory. :cool:

#25 Erix

Erix

Toad Lily

Posted 30 August 2007 - 07:32 AM

Gary, we'll be looking forward to your visit. When can I pencil you in? Don't forget to bring T with you. :D

Rodger your place sounds beautiful! Those must be some incredible skies you have.

Tom W., I'll be saving a spot in the observatory for your signature. ;)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics