•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Mac or PC?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
97 replies to this topic

#51 dgs©

dgs©

Hubble

Posted 08 September 2004 - 03:41 PM

I don't think I EVER heard a kind word about ME. :lol:
I am wintel only, and use strictly Office for those type applications... because that's what is used at work (for me and my wife). I kind of feel that the easiest/best system/software is the one you are used to working with. I have walked up to a few Mac systems set up in computer stores and couldn't get them to do anything... so much for easy, intuitive interface. It was just completely foreign to me. If someone were to spend 30 minutes showing me the ropes, I'm sure I would get the hang of it and maybe even like it. But, I am already familiar with Intel/Microsoft and am required to use it a work to maintain compatibility with clients. Plus I don't really need to start any more new learning curves right now, so I stick with what I know.

As a side note, regarding installed base of users... I can't think of a single computer user that I know personally, who is a Mac user. :shrug:

#52 rboe

rboe

ISS

Posted 08 September 2004 - 10:23 PM

Dave; you can't be THAT old!

You need to get out more.

The version of Office that runs on the Mac has been rated higher than the Windows version (but I do think Office 97 was plenty good so whoppy ding dong it already does more than I'll ever need or want).

I have yet to see a user interface that was intuitive. The ones that were easy were the ones I was used to. BeOS was fairly easy, OS/2 was a pain to learn. Win3.1 was a pain to learn. DOS was a royal pain. Text based UNIX was not all that bad. VMS I never cared for. OS X had its' moments. Few good. Linux was pretty easy. The first Mac GUI was pretty easy to learn - which made Windows so hard to pick up.

But you hit the nail on the head - it's what you're used to.

That said, getting out of a rut can be good. Not neccesary, but it can be good.

Start with AMD and go from there. :D

#53 dgs©

dgs©

Hubble

Posted 09 September 2004 - 01:15 PM

Semi-interesting note to add regarding the "Microsoft Monopoly"...
Back when all that talk first came up (in early '90's leading to the MS Legal troubles) I remember hearing a story on NPR about the "monopoly" and how if you had a PC you had to have microsoft. I remember laughing & wondering where they got their information. At the time, on my desk was my PC with ZERO Microsoft content. I was running under DR-DOS, using a Logitech mouse and using Wordstar & As-Easy-As (123 clone shareware); dBaseIII; Turbo Pascal; a Fortran Compiler; Autocad 2.17B; and maybe a couple of other small applications.
All that fit on a Plus 20Mb HardCard too! Can't even fit the operating system in 20Mb of drive space anymore.
:shrug:

#54 rboe

rboe

ISS

Posted 09 September 2004 - 10:52 PM

I believe the licensing agreement that folks like Dell and Gateway had to sign, every box those folks made had to have a MS license - whether or not it really had it installed.

Then they tried to tie the software to the hardware so you could not legally install a different OS later on.

If you wanted to "upgrade" to windows 95 you had to have MS-DOS (or was it Win 3.11, I forget). If you had DR-DOS it would error out - even though it would work just fine.

#55 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 September 2004 - 11:43 AM

I thought it was if you'd try to install Windows 3.1 on DR-DOS. There were special tests in Windows with the sole purpose to error out on DR-DOS. Caldera - or what was the company named at the time - did win that one in court.

#56 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 October 2004 - 02:38 AM

2 points:

1) There is life beyond Windows and giving your $ to Bill Gates: MacOS X = Unix = lot's of FREE software.
2) If you have to ask, you'll never know.

#57 Aliamiko

Aliamiko

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 13 October 2004 - 10:57 AM

Why not get a PC laptop, format the hard drive and install Linux? This gets rid of the whole, bill-gates-is-evil-and- windows-is-susceptible-to-viruses side of the discussion.

Or you could run both linux and Windows as a dual boot system, this set up would run all the windows software, and all those unix programs that OSX would be able to run. except with better hardware, and for a lot cheaper.

#58 rboe

rboe

ISS

Posted 13 October 2004 - 02:04 PM

That does open up a few more options. Better hardware is a matter of opinion though. More choices may be a better way to describe it. Certainly easier to get a less expensive laptop based on PC hardware; but other wise Apple is very competitive price wise (when comparing features to features - not just price tags).

Apple does have a superior GUI compared to Linux; with better integration of hardware than Linux and in some cases better than Windows too. For those that have the money; you can buy vitural PC to run Windows software under the Mac OS. Still able to run your linux programs under OS X too.

#59 Aliamiko

Aliamiko

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 13 October 2004 - 04:57 PM

by the same token, one may run many windows application under linux using programs such as wine, www.winehq.com

true, the user interface in gnome or kde isn't as pretty as OSX, but its just as functional. add to that the fact that its free and runs on cheaper hardware, and you've got something you won't be paranoid about taking outside on a cold dark night.

#60 rboe

rboe

ISS

Posted 13 October 2004 - 07:33 PM

First point: I've had mixed results with Wine - most not all that good. But I'm encouraged.

Second point: Darn good reason I'm looking at a used wintel unit now! I do feel like I'm packing a cludge when ever I have to pack one of our IBM computers at work. They are so much bigger and heavier than my little 12" powerbook.

Is anybody running Linux on an Apple laptop?

By the way; a hearty welcome to Cloudy Nights!

#61 Tom L

Tom L

ISS

Posted 13 October 2004 - 07:46 PM

I hear that voice again... :grin: ;)

#62 Aliamiko

Aliamiko

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 13 October 2004 - 10:26 PM

Tom, now that you've mentioned it, I can't stop from laughing whenever I look at one of my own posts. I hear it too. :roflmao:

Thanks to everyone for the welcome, or, as they would say in Japan "Arigato gozimasu". :grin:

#63 Tom L

Tom L

ISS

Posted 13 October 2004 - 10:36 PM

:D Glad I didn't offend you and glad you found our little corner of the universe.

#64 Victor Kennedy

Victor Kennedy

Pooh-Bear

Posted 14 October 2004 - 07:35 AM

Ron, I once got Linux up and running on an old Mac 7200. Never tried it on a laptop though.

Why does no one ever answer this question correctly? The right answer is "Mac AND PC".

#65 rboe

rboe

ISS

Posted 14 October 2004 - 10:23 AM

OS/2 has not been mentioned yet either.....

#66 Victor Kennedy

Victor Kennedy

Pooh-Bear

Posted 14 October 2004 - 11:44 AM

How come the worst candidate always wins?

#67 kentak

kentak

Messenger

• -----

Posted 14 October 2004 - 12:31 PM

There's a new option, run the Cherry OS, a new Mac emulation for PC's, on a Windows laptop.

#68 Victor Kennedy

Victor Kennedy

Pooh-Bear

Posted 15 October 2004 - 04:08 AM

How long will it take for Apple to shut him down?

#69 rboe

rboe

ISS

Posted 15 October 2004 - 09:19 AM

There's a new option, run the Cherry OS, a new Mac emulation for PC's, on a Windows laptop.

That's a new one. On the other hand; since part of the charm of the Mac is also the hardware under the hood - so running Mac software on Windows may have limited appeal. Even more limited that the 3% of the users that will want to run Apple software on Wintel.

Although it would be neat to buy the OS for different hardware platforms just like Solaris, Linux etc.

#70 kentak

kentak

Messenger

• -----

Posted 15 October 2004 - 03:14 PM

When OSX first came out, I was at a preview with a bunch of Apple techies. I asked an Apple engineer about OSX having it's source code in C and whether or not thay had compiled an Intel version. He got a funny look on his face and said " of course not!" Stranger things have happened.

On a different note, there is Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection that lets you run a full-up Windows PC with screen and all in a window on the Mac over a network. It supposedly works with WiFi too. Even better it's a free download!

RDC client for Mac

#71 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 October 2004 - 04:02 PM

Maybe VNC is a more simple solution? It's totally cross-platform and you don't need Microsoft Remote Desktop Services or Terminal Services (I don't think that's a standard part of windows, is it?).

This link only discusses Linux/OSX, but a server and viewer for Windows are also available.

http://www.nyu.edu/i...s/docs/vnc.html

#72 rboe

rboe

ISS

Posted 15 October 2004 - 07:59 PM

We use Microsoft Remote Desktop at work all the time - to connect to MS servers or other MS workstations. News to me they coded it to run off a Mac (which is not that big a surprise really but I would like to think I would have heard of it). Time to search this one out!

#73 rboe

rboe

ISS

Posted 15 October 2004 - 08:01 PM

A link for said product: Microsoft Remote Desktop for the Mac

#74 rboe

rboe

ISS

Posted 15 October 2004 - 09:50 PM

Rat's, Doesn't work with Windows 2000, need XP.

#75 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 October 2004 - 08:24 AM

Ron its silicon valley snake oil as usual win2000 and xp are the same kernel, thats why everyone who owns a pc walk funny like having a really bad wedgy, did I spell wedgy right? or is it ie.
By the way Grizz found a good place for astro chat, check it out, there is not much there yet but if we can all agree on times and dates, lets meet on here
http://astroskys.com...7chat/index.php
just uses your CN handle and make a password,

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics