•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

M31

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

#26 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 15 September 2004 - 02:33 AM

Thanks Rushwind--

I used Kodak High Definition 400. I was told this film is the "new" Kodak Royal Gold. My research on film reveals that Royal Gold at least has some sensitivity to the 650 nm. red area of the visible light spectrum, just what you want for emission nebulae. Other films, such as Fuji Superia X-tra 400, are lacking any sensitivity to that wavelength.
I took the photo of M31 on Labor Day, as well as the photo of the Milky Way in Cygnus (posted in the "Northern Milky Way" thread) in this film astrophotography section. Still, only a hint of the red nebulosity is evident on that photo.
I love my old Minolta XE-7, which will work the shutter on bulb with the batteries removed. I was most amazed that a close examination of the print shows stars to almost 10th magnitude.
For the M31 photo, I stopped the 1.4, 50 mm. lens down to 2.8. The posted photo of M31 is a section of the print which I scanned, and adjusted a bit, mostly to enhance the contrast.
I did well with my polar alignment this night too. I took a 10 minute exposure of the constellation Delphinus, and didn't notice any star trailing at all.

#27 cwstad

cwstad

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 20 September 2004 - 07:18 AM

Nice shot

#28 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 20 September 2004 - 06:52 PM

Nice shot, gives me something else to play with. I hope you dont mind

Attached Thumbnails

• 201378-196168-M31tracked.jpg

#29 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 21 September 2004 - 05:07 AM

cwstad--thanks!

madchef--kewl!

Notes:
On the night I took this shot, I was mostly experimenting with f/ stops and exposure times, trying to get a feeling for what would work best for my set-up and sky conditions.
I learned something beyond the technical aspects of wide-field astrophotography; namely--I must be crazy to be doing this!
I took the photos between about 11 p.m. and 1:30 a.m., about 18 total shots. I kept wondering, "gee, what should I do while the shutter is open--besides keeping an eye on the time, and noting f/ stop and such. Everybody else is asleep in their warm beds, and I'm outside in a sweatshirt, jacket, pull-over cap, etc.
It was really taxing on my psyche. The moon rose and put an end to the session, but I still had to take the mount inside.
I guess the reward is "nice shot" comments, and photos to be appreciated for a long time to come.

Bill in WI

#30 Dennis

Dennis

Apollo

• -----

Posted 21 September 2004 - 12:50 PM

Great images Bill! You are well on your way. While my shutter is open, I've been using my binos for entertainment. Keep those images coming!

#31 Rushwind

Rushwind

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 21 September 2004 - 01:09 PM

Well, if you're not going to be guiding, then it looks like you've got 2 refractors which might need love while you've got the shutter open... :grin:

Jimbo

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics