•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

1958 GOTO 60mm f/12 with eq mount

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 bacesp

bacesp

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 September 2007 - 03:56 PM

I had a chance this last weekend to buy a complete package 1958 GOTO refractor 60mm f/12 for $100.00 . I passed on it beause of the objective having a "smear" between the lens. The rest of the scope was in real good condition less some chome pitting. It had to be the best example of a German eq. mount I'd ever seen. Solid as a rock with worm gears and clutches on both axis. Did I make a misstake on not buying? It had all the original parts and wooden box minus the manual. Please advise. barry

#2 JohnG

JohnG

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 20 September 2007 - 04:10 PM

Well, if it was the best example you've seen of a German equatorial it would certainly have been worth a hundred bucks just for the mount. Many older mounts for smaller telescopes were far better than those you see today in my opinion.

On top of that, if it's a Goto I'd be wondering if the smear was removable. You can't always find perfection in a vintage instrument. Maybe the smear is something that can be removed. If not, you've still got a mount that would handle some other refractor.

Perhaps you missed a good buy?

JohnG

#3 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors

Posted 20 September 2007 - 05:01 PM

Go back and get it!!!!!!!

:)

#4 Preston Smith

Preston Smith

The Travel Scope Guy

Posted 20 September 2007 - 06:31 PM

I had a chance this last weekend to buy a complete package 1958 GOTO refractor 60mm f/12 for $100.00 .

Did I make a misstake on not buying?

Please advise.

OOooh Yeah! :foreheadslap:

Welcome to CN Barry!

Mike is right, go back and buy it.

Give us a full report!

Oh,,, and something else - especially with this group! :lol:

Attached Thumbnails

• 1854862-This thread is worthless without pics.jpg

#5 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors

Posted 20 September 2007 - 07:20 PM

Barry,

Where are my manners? Welcome to Cloudy Nights and the Classics Forum! (as Preston already said) ;)

I didn't have time for a full reply earlier, but here is what I wanted to say then -

Even if it's a little beat-up, a Goto Kogaku scope kit is well worth the $100 and then some. These are quite rare and very desirable by collectors and observers alike. They are optically and mechanically top-notch. The mount or tube or the accessories are easily worth $100. Put all three together in a full kit - scope tube, finderscope, mount, tripod, eyepieces, diagonal, etc, and you have a potential STEAL on your hands.

The "smear" between the lens could be an issue. But for $100 in this case, I would still consider it a steal - especially if you have a chance to evaluate in person first.

You need to rush back to that seller and buy it from him. Then come back here and post some photos of it. ;)

Good luck and clear skies,

MikeG

#6 Preston Smith

Preston Smith

The Travel Scope Guy

Posted 20 September 2007 - 09:01 PM

Also, there is always the hope that the smear will clean up nicely! :praying: :praying: :praying:

#7 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 20 September 2007 - 09:49 PM

An f12 is more rare than the typical f15. Go get it. A 'smear' will not affect the image one bit. Another member here with a very high knowledge of the worth of classic instruments bought a 2.4" f20 with two 1/4" clamshells in the objective. A smear is nothing.

Welcome.

Keith

#8 Bonco

Bonco

Skylab

Posted 21 September 2007 - 12:50 AM

Go for it...You've gotten good advice here.
Bonco

#9 bacesp

bacesp

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 September 2007 - 07:19 AM

Thank you everyone. Maybe I can still snag it

Barry

#10 Preston Smith

Preston Smith

The Travel Scope Guy

Posted 21 September 2007 - 09:41 AM

Thank you everyone. Maybe I can still snag it

Barry

:jump: :jump:Go Barry Go!:jump: :jump:

#11 moron392

moron392

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 22 September 2007 - 03:20 PM

while it was definetly a mistake not to buy it, you should go back and do so. the trouble is that someone may have bought it already for their kid. it was a good buy for them though. if you are lucky, the $100 pricetag will have put them off. if you can get it, though, clean the smear asap. the oils in our fingerprints can break down any lens coatings it might have. you should look it over, though, because the smudge, if it has been on there for a long time, could have already ruined the lens.

if it has not been ruined, you should ask to look through it at something, and bring another scope you have along for comparison. that way, you can check that it is still in working order.

#12 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 22 September 2007 - 07:07 PM

IF the coatings are degraded, don't worry though. Many of us have telescopes with uncoated lenses. An application of pure lemon juice will remove damaged coatings without damage to the glass.

Please keep us posted.

Keith

#13 moron392

moron392

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 23 September 2007 - 08:46 AM

cool, lemon juice, really? wouldn't it get into the lens?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics