•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

newbie with a Orion Starmax 102mm

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 August 2003 - 04:02 AM

Hi, I recently purchased my first telescope and was hoping to take some pictures through the scope (using it as a telephoto lens). I have the needed T-ring adaptor for my camera (olympus OM-1) and I was just hoping I could get a few pointers on the easiest way to focus the camera once it's attached to the scope :question:?
Also, what eyepieces would you recommend with this scope? I currently only have a 25mm sirius plossl. Hope someone can help... :confused: thanks

#2 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 August 2003 - 08:23 PM

Your OM-1 should have interchangeable focusing screens. The existing screen makes it hard to see faint things like stars. I would get one that has good transparency. I think they have one that uses a split screen; when an object comes together across the split, then it's focused. For star fields, just focus for the smallest star points.

I would not recommend going much lower than 25mm, my 127 Mak will not illuminate the full field of a 40mm. I have a 17, 10 and 6.3mm eyepieces with mine, but the 6.3 seems to run it a little too high; the 7.5mm may be a better choice. If you get the 12.5 and 7.5, you will have 50, 100, and 170 times, which is a good range for this scope.

Good Luck,
Kent

#3 Bob Pasken

Bob Pasken

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 23 August 2003 - 08:10 AM

I think that Olympus made a screen that was clear except in the center where it had a fine ground glass. You could focus a bright star in the ground class and then move to the field you want to photograph using the clea part of the screen.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics