•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Star Ware Fourth Edition

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 asaint

asaint

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 24 September 2007 - 06:00 AM

Star Ware Fourth Edition

#2 Tom T

Tom T

A Father, A Teacher, A Pioneer

• In Memoriam

Posted 24 September 2007 - 06:16 AM

Very nice Tom!

T

#3 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 24 September 2007 - 11:39 AM

I read Edition 2 cover to cover-several times
and I speedread Edition 3. I skimmed Edition 4 at the bookstore. It is amazing how much the scope/telescope brands change.
It is essential reading for someone just getting into amateur astronomy and/or trying to cope with the maze of products available.

edj

#4 ErnieM

ErnieM

Apollo

• -----

Posted 24 September 2007 - 11:36 PM

I have read mine from cover to cover and still refer back to it a lot.

Ernie

#5 PhilH

PhilH

Viking 1

Posted 25 September 2007 - 05:44 AM

Thanks for the kind words, Tom. And thanks for your chair! Ron created a real masterpiece there. I had to balance it out, for the carpentry-challenged reader (like me) by including the LYBAR chair, as well. Even I could (and did) make that one!

Yes, it is amazing to see just how much the telescope market has changed from the first to fourth editions. Being a student of the hobby's equipment, I really enjoy going back and rereading some of the earlier descriptions and reviews. Where are all those scopes today? ;-)

You mentioned how I'm constantly updating my web site with new material, which is true. That alone will keep me busy for quite some time!

Phil

#6 RRaubach

RRaubach

AstroCowboy

Posted 25 September 2007 - 11:48 AM

It's great to see you here at CN! This is a very *user friendly* forum.

#7 desertstars

desertstars

ISS

Posted 25 September 2007 - 04:15 PM

Yes, it is amazing to see just how much the telescope market has changed from the first to fourth editions. Being a student of the hobby's equipment, I really enjoy going back and rereading some of the earlier descriptions and reviews. Where are all those scopes today? ;-)

I did a massive version of this when I got back into amateur astronomy. I hadn't done more than glance at a copy of S&T since about 1974, so what I saw on the newstands in '03 was a shock. I couldn't remember such a diversity of products being offered for sale. To refresh my memory I went to the U of A library and looked up issues of S&T from the early to mid 70s.

I was remembering things correctly, and it really was a brave new world!

#8 PhilH

PhilH

Viking 1

Posted 25 September 2007 - 07:17 PM

It's great to see you here at CN! This is a very *user friendly* forum.

Thanks, Rodger. I've been known to lurk around these parts before, mainly in the binocular and classic scopes forums.

Best,
Phil

#9 dvb

dvb

different Syndrome.

Posted 25 September 2007 - 08:15 PM

I've certainly enjoyed my copy, and was pleased to see large numbers in stock at the Canadian Chapters/Indigo chain.

I'm afraid I haven't been able to figure out the puzzle on page 171: The "well-known manufacturer/importer of astronomical equipment" Phil left out because of a grudge. Supposedly, it is conspicuous by its absence, but it has eluded me.

#10 buckaroo

buckaroo

Space Cowboy

Posted 25 September 2007 - 11:13 PM

Great book and I am very fond of the dob on the cover.

#11 ErnieM

ErnieM

Apollo

• -----

Posted 25 September 2007 - 11:41 PM

Reference page 171.I haven't either.

Ernie

#12 PhilH

PhilH

Viking 1

Posted 26 September 2007 - 04:15 AM

I'm afraid the mystery will remain unsolved. :)

Phil

#13 desertstars

desertstars

ISS

Posted 26 September 2007 - 10:41 AM

Phil

Just as well, I suppose. I'd hate to have to moderate you before you made it to 50 posts... :poke:

;)

#14 RogerRZ

RogerRZ

Whatta you lookin' at?

Posted 26 September 2007 - 08:05 PM

Phil

I'm pretty sure I have a handle on who it is...

BTW, I have the 3rd and 4th editions, and have worn out the third, and am doing the same to the fourth...

Thanks!!

#15 Jim Rosenstock

Jim Rosenstock

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 01 November 2007 - 12:18 PM

The warning that the use of GoTo by beginners might slow their development is not a matter of proven fact, to the best of my knowledge, (although I will freely admit that I have not formally studied the matter). So even the mild-mannered expression of this view found in chapter ten strikes an oddly discordant note. I believe the book would be better off without it.

Oh, please.

Phil Harrington has been in the business of advising beginners for some time now; if HE doesn't have the standing to venture such an opinion--one way or the other--then who does?

IMO, Harrington's advice for beginners to avoid go-to is also harmonious with his advice--approvingly noted in this review--that the best first "scope" for a beginner is actually a pair of binoculars. Both pieces of advice steer the beginner toward a simpler, more intuitive initial approach to this virtually limitless hobby.

Sorry, very little of Phil's book can be categorized as "proven fact"...which is as it should be. One needs a certain amount of human judgment to sort out all of the facts and factoids...and Harrington provides an appropriate serving of such judgment, based on his extensive experience in evaluating all sorts of equipment.

BTW, I'm not at all interested in reviving the "go-to vs star hop" argument, so please, let's not go there. My point is that Phil's assessment, based on his years of experience and three previous editions of the seminal work on the subject, is indeed appropriate in Phil's book.

And that's a fact. :grin:

Jim

#16 Moggi1964

Moggi1964

Soyuz

Posted 01 November 2007 - 02:41 PM

Phil

Just as well, I suppose. I'd hate to have to moderate you before you made it to 50 posts... :poke:

;)

:funny: :funny: :funny: :bow:

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics