•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade 5x TeleXtender VS. TeleVue 5x Powermate

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 WahHK

WahHK

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 05 October 2007 - 01:28 AM

Which one is better?

It is strange that a test from Hong Kong shows that powermate has quite obvious color abberation with lower contrast :question: :question: :question:

http://hkastroforum....opic.php?t=5865

#2 FoxTrot

FoxTrot

Messenger

• -----

Posted 05 October 2007 - 02:40 AM

Hi WahHK, I 'agonised' to some degree over the choice between the Meade 3x Telextender vs. the TV 2.5x Powermate. All said and done, and notwithstanding the fact that 3x (vs. 2.5x) probably is too high for my scope and range of EP's, I am very very glad I went for the TV Powermate instead. IMHO it truly lives up to its reputation of incredible performance and amazing 'invisibilty' of optical design.

Although the Meades seem to rate quite well against the Powermates, I really wonder if they impart the same optical ingenuity as the Powermates do, or are the Meades just a better performing 'barlow' ie. good, but still a barlow. The lack of information about the Meade TE's design worked against it in my book. It's one reason why I stuck with the TV, and have been extremely happy with it, there is no comparison to my old Meade 140 barlow. So, bottom line, I would go TV! Fox.

#3 WahHK

WahHK

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 06 October 2007 - 12:23 AM

Thanks for your opinion, FoxTrot!
Has anyone in forum ever tried the Meade 5x barlow?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics