•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Video Binoviewing

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#1 asaint

asaint

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 11 October 2007 - 07:00 AM

Video Binoviewing

#2 Rick

Rick

Gemini

Posted 11 October 2007 - 07:58 AM

Whoa! This idea sounds waaaaay toooo kewl!

#3 warf

warf

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 11 October 2007 - 09:11 AM

Do you think that people who have issues merging images in a standard binoviewer would also have the same issue using the Video binoviewer?

#4 warf

warf

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 11 October 2007 - 10:00 AM

I know you didn't want to get brand specific, but what are some of the brand names out there? This is a really neat concept but I am totally newbie to HMD equipment and being able to go to the Manufacturer websites to start learning more about the equipment would be very helpful.

#5 Ohatchee

Ohatchee

Viking 1

Posted 11 October 2007 - 12:09 PM

*this site won't let me say what I wanted to say, so now I say this.*....I thought I was done buying stuff for awhile.

#6 Ohatchee

Ohatchee

Viking 1

Posted 11 October 2007 - 12:40 PM

Warf....Vuzix seems to be a reasonably-priced and popular brand out there. My brother has a pair made by Vuzix. My understanding is that even Brookstone does carry or is planning to carry them.

http://www.vuzix.com/

#7 highfnum

highfnum

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 11 October 2007 - 06:51 PM

That was a very funny comment about having to buy another item. I know the feeling

#8 Douglas

Douglas

Vendor - Night Vision Astronomy

• Vendors

Posted 11 October 2007 - 08:42 PM

After John, Tony and I had the first viewing session with his video glasses and my MallinCam I did a search to see all the various models of video glasses.

Here is a link to the top 10: www.coolbuzz.org/entry/top-10-video-glasses/

I really liked The Lumus PD-20 series which look like regular clear eye glasses but they project the image directly in your line of sight. You can't really tell that you are wearing anything other than a normal pair of eyeglasses. They won't be out for another year or two. The technology is made available by Lumus but the end product will be manufactured by some one else. Check out the video demonstration at their website: www.lumus-optical.com/

- Doug

#9 Mogster

Mogster

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 12 October 2007 - 05:21 AM

I've been casualy watching this tech develop for video gaming purposes. It never occured to me that you could use them with an electronic ep and a scope.

The problem as yet is the low resolution mini lcd's, around 640x480 res just doesn't cut it when you're used to viewing at least 1024x768 on you're PC monitor.

Cheap high res mini lcd's will come in time though, I give it 5 years, then this tech will explode.

#10 Douglas

Douglas

• Vendors

Posted 12 October 2007 - 10:11 AM

The video glasses we used in our test were 640 x 480 resolution and higher resolution glasses are currently available. The only note is that you are limited by the cameras resolution and most video cameras use 1/2 inch chips that don't require anymore resoltion anyway.

Believe it or not, most folks using the MallinCam report better images on an old CRT monitor type television than the LCD screens on the laptops. I found my best images were projected on my 50" plasma TV in my home but when you're out at a dark sky location or star party it's hard to beat a large screen image in the video glasses.

I mounted a 3.5" WATEC-35 high resolution color monitor on my UTA which has excellent images, but it is a small screen. I use it for centering and focusing on targets while the camera is in the focuser. It is great for viewing but the glasses provide for a much larger image which allows you to see the center star in The Ring Nebula much better.

- Doug

#11 Ohatchee

Ohatchee

Viking 1

Posted 12 October 2007 - 10:58 AM

I have a Mallincam Hyper Color Plus and use a 14" 800-line color video monitor out in the field. It is great for star parties. However, the "glasses" approach would allow me to more quickly make focus adjustments for each new target. As it is now, depending upon which way the scope is facing and how far it is positioned from the video monitor, I have to face away from the video monitor (or turn the monitor) in many instances and go back-and-forth to get the focus on the mark. With the glasses, I could stay at the focus knob and do it real-time and then send the signal on to the monitor. Can you tell I'm looking for a way to justify such a purchase? :)

#12 highfnum

highfnum

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 12 October 2007 - 11:18 AM

Dont feel so bad I'm saving up for a mallincan thats more thanthe price of 99 percent of the video glasses out there - focusing is easier you can "slip" your vision over or under the glasses
You can split the signal - one line to monitor one to glasses
The Author

#13 CarolG

CarolG

Surveyor 1

Posted 12 October 2007 - 01:28 PM

What appeals to me (another justification?) is that they are so portable. A few days ago I was in a dark location with only my small scope. I had my Mallincam, but didn't want to lug the monitor with me, so I essentially couldn't use the camera. The glasses would have been perfect. The camera and glasses are small enough to travel with. Not so with the monitor. Gee, I'm talking myself into one of these!! :o

#14 Larry F

Larry F

Vanguard

Posted 12 October 2007 - 03:28 PM

Doug:

At the WAA club meeting tonight we're going to pass a resolution requiring you to bring the 50" plasma screen to observing night!

Larry

#15 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 15 October 2007 - 02:47 PM

Is there any 'light leak' that might bother other observers at a star party?

#16 Douglas

Douglas

• Vendors

Posted 15 October 2007 - 03:04 PM

There wasn't any light leaking out the side that I could see. I was wondering how I could use my MallinCam at a star party without interfering with other folks who prefer their dark eye adaptation. This would be a solution. You could turn them off before removing them and turn them on only after they are mounted on your head to avoid stray light.

Mark, a MallinCam yahoo forum participant, came up with this link to many, many HMD options. It is a very cool website with excellent gear: www.vrealities.com

- Doug

#17 highfnum

highfnum

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 October 2007 - 06:58 PM

glasses come with rubber light guard that u can put on or off
Author

#18 F8thful

F8thful

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 17 October 2007 - 10:46 AM

Hello John,
I really was encouraged to read your article on electronic bino viewing on CN. I've been thinking along these lines myself. Yours is the ideal answer to my mental wanderings.

I have wanted to build either a long slow newtonian or a binocular newtonian. I've been asking questions on a couple different forums. I've been trying to find someone who could tell me if you could get as good a view on a monitor as you can get looking through an eyepiece.

My thought for a binoscope was to use two cameras and put both images on one or two monitors and then view the monitor(s) with a stereoscope type setup.

The problems with binonewtonians is that you have to view them from the front with your back to the image. Your left eye is viewing the right mirror and the right eye is viewing the left mirror. I'm not sure how that will mix up the image but I'm guessing it puts images that should appear close, in the distance and images that should be distant would appear in the foreground.

If it is possible to use an HMD and get the image from the right mirror into the right monitor and the left mirror into the left monitor, the HMD could be a huge improvement over a stereoscope.

I believe the technology you are using is about to come into it's own. I think we will always look through eyepieces but with the improvement in high resolution cameras and monitors the views will be as good or better using electronic viewing and you won't have to climb a ladder or sit backwards to enjoy incredible views.

Thanks for spending the time to write and submit your article. I would appreciate hearing what you think about the image quality in the HMD as opposed to viewing through an optical binoviewer.

Thanks Again
Glen Ray

#19 highfnum

highfnum

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 October 2007 - 07:53 PM

Thank you for your response

You have nothing to fear - JMI makes bino-newtonians I do not own one but I tried one - no problem they work
anyway left eye right eye is relative to which way your looking at scope

there are 2 kinds HMDs

steroscopic and monoscopic

my motive was at first to save weight - its a pain to lug a video monitor
Then I noticed that you get a big TV view in a small package
but it's still a TV view - not 3D TV

think of going to the movies - big screen still 2D

you can do what you want - it cost more

HMD's run from 150 dollars to 50,000 dollars !

3D is possible but it requires software and PC and steroscopic HMD

1) capture video image
2) apply 3D software algorithm
3) Use steroscopic HMD
4) Image will have 3D feel
5) keep in mind - its a brain trick - all objects are so far away - true 3D is impossible
6) the up side - you get better contrast because you are using both eyes and all visual part of your brain

binoview scops and binoviewers give very good 3D effect - the human eye-brain thing is really something else
however u are still limited in quantum eye capture few percent

video camera like mallicam go go very deep - u get color something thats very hard to do with eyes alone

I hope this article will inspire others to dig deeper

go this link

www.vrealities.com

#20 WadeVC

WadeVC

Mercury-Atlas

• ****-

Posted 24 October 2007 - 02:43 AM

That sounds awesome! I have never even heard of such a gizmo. Thanks for the review!!

#21 john D

john D

All you have to do is ask!!

Posted 24 October 2007 - 03:58 PM

nice review! :cool:

#22 Chris Schroeder

Chris Schroeder

Cosmos

Posted 29 October 2007 - 01:25 PM

Is the focus adjustable indepently for each eye?

#23 highfnum

highfnum

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 31 October 2007 - 06:21 PM

No for my model fixed lens - others may have this feature

#24 Late_Cretaceous

Late_Cretaceous

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 23 September 2008 - 03:54 PM

Aside from the Mallincam, are there any ordinary webcams that could be used for this with reasonable results?
How about the Toucam?

#25 highfnum

highfnum

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 02 April 2009 - 09:27 PM

they have HMD that work with computers

they have different hook up lines

they cost a little more

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics