•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What paint for old Towa(?) refractor?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 JakeJ

JakeJ

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 18 September 2004 - 11:40 PM

I'm restoring an early 60's Towa (?) 60mm. The tube has scratches in the paint - I am wondering what type I of paint I can buy to repaint this - I need something tougher than ordinary spray paint - this is a "scope rescue" which will become a Christmas gift for my 11 yr. old nephew.

Thanks for any advice!

#2 Jim Svetlikov

Jim Svetlikov

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 19 September 2004 - 01:13 PM

That's a tough one, I was also looking for paint for my Tasco 60mm but didn't really find anything at the local stores. It was suggested that I have the tube anodized or powder coated.

#3 Tom L

Tom L

ISS

Posted 19 September 2004 - 07:26 PM

What about an autobody shop? They could paint it next time they had a color similar to the tube. Can't hurt to ask.

#4 Jim

Jim

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 20 September 2004 - 08:22 AM

A number of years ago I painted a scope. The regular spraypaint came off too easy and was a problem. I solved the problem with tougher Appliance grade spraypaint and that was the end of the problem.

#5 JakeJ

JakeJ

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 20 September 2004 - 10:47 AM

Thanks guys!

I think anodizing is out of the question. I had considered both the auto body shop and appliance paint ideas. I assume they are both fairly tough finishes?

Lucky for me, I am having a scrape on my car fixed - I will ask what they would charge for painting...

-Jake

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics