•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

John Pons' 6-inch Goto Refractor up for sale

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

#1 Lew Chilton

Lew Chilton

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 19 October 2007 - 10:11 PM

I just received a call from John Pons informing me that he's finally made the decision to sell his most prized possession, his 1956 prototype 6-inch Goto refractor. If you've seen the thread at top of this Classic Scopes forum page titled, "Amazing Full Moon Star Party," then you already know quite a bit about this scope and its history.

John said he has made the painful decision to part with it because of his age. He can no longer assemble and disassemble it in his driveway, as he has done for so many years. It deserves a permanent observatory, he said.

He asked me to act as his agent in facilitating the sale of this instrument because he doesn't use a computer and has no access to the Internet. He has one possible buyer already, but Pons believes the guy is just a tire kicker (my expression, not Pons').

Pons would prefer a local sale, but is willing to ship in the CONUS, but the buyer will have to arrange for the shipper to come out to his house in North Hollywood, California to crate and ship the scope, mount and accessories, which must weigh many hundreds of pounds, in part because of the large, heavy cast iron pier.

If you're seriously interested in acquiring this scope, PM me thru Cloudynights and I will give you my phone number, so that I can discuss further details.

I will be happy to post the selling price, if that's okay with the moderator.

Lew

Attached Thumbnails

• 1923227-PONS STAR PARTY - cropped.jpg

#2 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors

Posted 19 October 2007 - 10:26 PM

OMG!

I'm not sure how I feel about this.

I hate to see John not able to use his pride and joy. I can certainly understand the PITA of setting up such a monster. I bet this is an agonizing decision for him.

I also hope there is no underlying major health issue we are not aware of that is forcing this decision. Is John in otherwise good health, Lew?

This is truly a one of a kind scope and a once in a lifetime opportunity for someone who can afford such a piece of telescope history. I wish him the best of luck in the sale and in his life.

Now, who among us is going to step up and buy this beauty?

Clint?

Jon Isaacs?

???

Any idea what he expects to get for it?

Regards and clear skies,

MikeG

#3 Lew Chilton

Lew Chilton

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 19 October 2007 - 11:00 PM

Mike,

Pons told me age was the reason for coming to this decision. He is 66 and in good health, but he doesn't have the strength he used to have. He said he almost dropped the OTA when he was taking it down this last time. He feels it's time.

He wants $18,000 for it, and that includes all the original wooden objective and accessory cases, optical accessories, but I don't know about eyepieces yet. He also has all the original documentation, manuals, etc. Whoever buys this is getting the whole enchilada. Personally, I think it's worth a lot more, but that's the price he fixed on. He asked me to put it on AM for him, which I guess I'll do this evening.

Lew

#4 fxxm747

fxxm747

Viking 1

Posted 19 October 2007 - 11:08 PM

Nothing mentioned about the mount, is this OTA only? I'd sell one of my cars for this. Problem is I don't thing I could get that for any of them!

#5 RRavneberg

RRavneberg

professor emeritus

• In Memoriam

Posted 19 October 2007 - 11:13 PM

Here's the scope as advertised ...

Attached Thumbnails

• 1923327-Advertisement (Goto) (Small).jpg

#6 RRavneberg

RRavneberg

professor emeritus

• In Memoriam

Posted 19 October 2007 - 11:14 PM

And a comparable "real life" view.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1923331-6-inch GOTO - John Pons.jpg

#7 fxxm747

fxxm747

Viking 1

Posted 19 October 2007 - 11:17 PM

Oh my goodness.......

#8 JWW

JWW

Apollo

Posted 19 October 2007 - 11:42 PM

Drooooling ......

-JWW:

#9 Lew Chilton

Lew Chilton

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 19 October 2007 - 11:50 PM

LATEST UPDATE!!

The 6-inch GOTO is sold!! The so-called tire kicker saw my post above and let me know by PM that he is definitely buying it. So I'm out of the picture at this point and will not be posting any ad on AM.

I asked the new owner, who is local, if he'd let me see the GOTO in the new observatory he will be building for it.

That should provide ample material for a future "Classic
Telescopes" thread. Do you agree? :whee:

#10 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

Posted 20 October 2007 - 12:09 AM

Don't tell me it was C.W. please! :rofl5: :rofl5: :rofl5:Mike

#11 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 20 October 2007 - 12:50 AM

Please let the tire-kicking almost-owner come forward! :bow:

Keith

#12 clintwhitman

clintwhitman

Caveman

Posted 20 October 2007 - 02:34 AM

No I just bought the cave mobile and am broke. But I am the one just trying to keep the dam thing out of a museum. Or some warehouse. Somplace so when you guys come out to Calif. You can kick the tires and take a look thru what I would consider one one the most collectible scopes in the US. I hope it happens I wana look to!!!

#13 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

• Vendors

Posted 20 October 2007 - 08:25 AM

Wow, that didn't take long.

What is John going to observe with now? Does he own other refractors? Or does he plan on buying a wicked APO with the proceeds?

Congrats to the new owner and I hope they stop in on us. :)

#14 JohnG

JohnG

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 20 October 2007 - 09:22 AM

Oh, yes, most definitely an observatory for this superb instrument, preferably on a hill in very dark skies. Hope the new owner joins the forum.

JohnG

#15 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

Posted 20 October 2007 - 10:07 AM

I'm almost absolutely 100% positive he has unlimited visitation rights worked into the deal. If he doesn't he should have. But then again maybe he's seen enough. Oh then again what do I know? :smirk: :smirk: :pMike

#16 Serenity Now

Serenity Now

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 20 October 2007 - 12:19 PM

Now we all can whisper to ourselves at night and to our offspring..."We were THERE when Jon's 6-inch GOTO..."..well, kinda in a virtual-cyber sorta way :grin:

My gosh, what an incredible instrument, and I wish congrats to the new owner.

#17 Awesomelenny

Awesomelenny

Skylab

Posted 20 October 2007 - 02:45 PM

Wow, this happened soooo fast! Well it wasn't ME either. That is one besutiful refractor. I believe John Pons must still own the 9 and 10 inch refractors. Doesn't he, Clint?

#18 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

Posted 20 October 2007 - 06:51 PM

Well i'm late to bat, but i sure would have bought it for $18,000! But i dont know how i could have moved and set that scope up.

Chas

#19 clintwhitman

clintwhitman

Caveman

Posted 20 October 2007 - 07:56 PM

Hi Lenny He has the F16 10" Zeiss an awsome 16" Newt..

#20 Daniel Mounsey

Daniel Mounsey

Vendor (Woodland Hills)

• Vendors

Posted 21 October 2007 - 05:12 PM

Hey guys,

I know Pons has been absolutely agonizing over this scope and I know Scott Losmandy was seriously interested in buying it as well when I last spoke with him. I didn't realize though that Pons made the descision to sell it until Kelvin, (pictured in Lew's first photograph of the GOTO above) told me just a few days ago. I've been away from the forums a bit, taking a rest. There's a long history regarding the scope and as you guys know, the planetary images are simply stunning.

Pons and I were working since 8am this morning on my friends 6" F-15 D&G refractor, which I will post photos of very soon since it's nearing completion. The funny thing though is that all morning, Pons kept telling me how difficult it is to part with that GOTO. It's such a classic and I think collectors and purists would truly understand why it's so hard for him. The mechanical RA drive is simply incredible. I still can't get over the crank system for the drive. That scope is part of Pons anatomy :lol:

#21 Daniel Mounsey

Daniel Mounsey

Vendor (Woodland Hills)

• Vendors

Posted 21 October 2007 - 05:16 PM

Hi Lenny He has the F16 10" Zeiss an awsome 16" Newt..

Hi Clinton,

Actually it's a 12.5" F-6. and he's also got that 8" F-20 objective lens and countless other collectables but it's easy for me to even forget all the things he has too. :lol:

#22 clintwhitman

clintwhitman

Caveman

Posted 21 October 2007 - 05:52 PM

As with most of Johns Design it looked twice as big as it is

#23 Steve_M_M

Steve_M_M

Gemini

Posted 22 October 2007 - 05:05 PM

I know there has been some chat behind the scenes about the buyer. That was me as many of you know.

I just spoke to John. John has decided to sell the telescope to someone who made an original offer some time ago.

So, since I had already made plans for the telescope, if anyone knows of a similar scope up for sale, I have a ton of cash burning a hole in my wallet :)

#24 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

• Vendors

Posted 22 October 2007 - 05:39 PM

Steve, PM coming your way.

#25 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 22 October 2007 - 09:43 PM

John has decided to sell the telescope to someone who made an original offer some time ago.

I see why you waited to make the news generally known. Is the original buyer Goto itself, or was there another offer in the works too?

Keith

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics